IE6 is not supported at this time. Please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 9, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Red Lion Tavern
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, Scipii

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.20 replies
Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven » Forums » The Red Lion Tavern » CA working on "Total War game away from PC"
Bottom
Topic Subject:CA working on "Total War game away from PC"
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 06-30-11 06:14 AM EDT (US)         
develop-online.net has posted on their blog an interview with Tim Heaton, CA's studio director. It's mostly his views on the recent history of CA, but there's one sentence which is much more interesting than that:
We’re also looking at new opportunities on all the possible platforms, and already have a team working on a Total War game away from PC.
So, a Total War game that's not on the PC could mean it's moving to other platforms as well. In December Kevin McDowell, CA's lead artist, said they knew how to make TW work on consoles, but that the question was whether it would sell:
"We have actually solved the problem with controlling Total War games using a control pad anyway.

"In the past one of the artists actually coded up some experimental stuff just on his own time and was like, 'Oh that actually works really well,'" he revealed.

"But I think the biggest issue really is, would Total War sell on console? It's kind of difficult to answer that question without spending all that money."

"I mean you've talked about using joypads, we've also looked elsewhere, we're looking at everything including iPhones, online gaming as well. Just different ways of playing."
So, big question is: what are they working on? Total War on console, portable devices, smartphones? Share your thoughts and speculations below.

Hussarknight
AuthorReplies:
Edorix
High King of Britain
posted 06-30-11 06:55 AM EDT (US)     1 / 20       
Would be awesome to play RTW2 on my iTouch or Nintendo DS... I'd get it on PC as well though for sure, I don't really do big games consoles, the function is so limited I can't justify the cash.

• EDORIX •
~ ancient briton ~

/\
/|||| ||||\

(dis ma house)
Liam_the_Spartan
Banned
posted 06-30-11 07:05 AM EDT (US)     2 / 20       
They won't pull it off. I would love it if they did. But they won't.

I found a "Medieval 2: Total War" when I was looking through the apps on my Blackberry, but it had all bad reviews. Only 1 star too. So I think small consoles like phones and Nintando DS' won't work.

They may be able to make one for PS3 or XBox, but they would have to change the game so much.

It would be awesome if the campaign was normal and good. You recruit units etc, then when a battle starts, you do not command it as much as on PC. Instead you take place of one of the soldiers and fight with all your men. You could still zoom out and tell units to move position, but mostly you let them do everything themselves.
GeneralKickAss
Ashigaru
posted 06-30-11 08:14 AM EDT (US)     3 / 20       
Yeah, something like a crossover between Total War and Total Warrior, I suppose...

"The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for." -Homer
"You see, this is what happens when you don't follow instructions, GKA..." -Edorix
Guild of the Skalds, Order of the Silver Quill, Apprentice Storyteller
Battle of Ilipa, 206BC - XI TWH Egil Skallagrimson Award

The word dyslexia was invented by Nazis to piss off kids with dyslexia.
Sconderix
Ashigaru
posted 06-30-11 03:52 PM EDT (US)     4 / 20       
He-man: Total Pwnage
Lost Knight
Ashigaru
(id: huntforcollossus)
posted 06-30-11 04:02 PM EDT (US)     5 / 20       
Hah, this reminds me of Age of Empires 2 on Playstation 2.

What a massive fail that was.

This is my signature. Trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again.

And when he gets to heaven, To saint peter he will tell- One more soldier reporting sir,
I've served my time in hell.

Lol, that was funny. Lost Knight is my favorite bro in AoEIIIH - Eurotool
Selifator
Ashigaru
posted 06-30-11 07:53 PM EDT (US)     6 / 20       
Age of Empires worked pretty fine on the DS, if the format was changed enough to make it work it might be something good. Though then of course it begs the question how much it has to be changed and if it'll still be a Total War game. Will be interesting to see how they will try to do it at the least.

You can't say that civilization don't advance, however, for in every war they kill you in a new way.

Chauvinism is not a particularly nice trait at the best of times but can be suicidal when the person your talking too can have you executed on a whim.

Facebook, anyone?
Krymzon74
Ashigaru
posted 07-01-11 12:47 PM EDT (US)     7 / 20       
I guess I could see scaled down versions working on a DS or PSP or some such gadget. I just don't see controlling a massive army with a ps3 or xbox controller though, seriously, it just doesn't work without a keyboard + mouse. For this reason I just don't see a full featured TW title ever being released for a console. I would also call into question how many strategy gamers have consoles since the list of games in that category is slim to none. Seems a waste of time to me.
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 07-01-11 03:03 PM EDT (US)     8 / 20       
Maybe it'll be for kinect or something, or using the wiimote to launch a charge. I hope it's neither of those.

It could be interesting if there was a properly scaled down version where you only directly controlled a tiny portion of army and it was quite heavily multi-player / excellent AI (hoho)
ImperialLobster
Ashigaru
posted 07-01-11 04:12 PM EDT (US)     9 / 20       
I think the bigger the screen the better the battle.

KEEP
CALM
AND
CARRY
ON
≤≤≤≤≤See my YouTube channel for some crazy pointless crap!≥≥≥≥≥
GeneralKickAss
Ashigaru
posted 07-01-11 09:20 PM EDT (US)     10 / 20       
Why not plug your TV instead of your LCD monitor then?

"The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for." -Homer
"You see, this is what happens when you don't follow instructions, GKA..." -Edorix
Guild of the Skalds, Order of the Silver Quill, Apprentice Storyteller
Battle of Ilipa, 206BC - XI TWH Egil Skallagrimson Award

The word dyslexia was invented by Nazis to piss off kids with dyslexia.
Liam_the_Spartan
Banned
posted 07-02-11 06:32 AM EDT (US)     11 / 20       
The TV my Wii is connected to is bigger than my laptop, but I think TW works better on my laptop.

I have AoE for the DS, and it is actually alright, but I wouldn't call it AoE, since they are nothing alike.
doddydad
Ashigaru
posted 07-03-11 03:31 PM EDT (US)     12 / 20       
The only way it would work is if it used some keyboard and mouse gadget, but then it would be awesome!
Lost Knight
Ashigaru
posted 07-03-11 04:18 PM EDT (US)     13 / 20       
Admittedly AoE2 on PS2 did encourage you to plug in a USB mouse and/or keyboard, and when i plugged my mouse in the whole thing made much more sense.

And when he gets to heaven, To saint peter he will tell- One more soldier reporting sir,

Liam_the_Spartan
Banned
posted 07-03-11 04:31 PM EDT (US)     14 / 20       
But then what would be the point? If you have to plug a keyboard and mouse in surely it would be easier to use a computer?
Jax
HG Monument
(id: Jax Omen)
posted 07-03-11 05:11 PM EDT (US)     15 / 20       
If I had a PS3 I probs wouldn't want to invest in a big gaming PC given the choice.

house won this
Ecthelion
Ashigaru
(id: p90pro)
posted 07-04-11 02:55 PM EDT (US)     16 / 20       
Non-PC TW?
Is this their way of saying that they have created the holodeck?

Sir, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
Swallow my pride? No thank you, Im too full of myself.
I bring you nothing but love and a shopping bag full of sexual depravity.
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Tied with Meteora (****er) for Best Sig Award.
Lost Knight
Ashigaru
posted 07-04-11 04:18 PM EDT (US)     17 / 20       
But then what would be the point? If you have to plug a keyboard and mouse in surely it would be easier to use a computer?
My only reason for this was that my laptop does not like AoE2 at all nowadays i just play on my dad's laptop.

Big Red Rob
Ashigaru
(id: Feudal Principes)
posted 07-05-11 08:57 AM EDT (US)     18 / 20       
I am a console gamer, and I would love to see tw on a console. It would be of worse quality than the pc version, and simplified gameplay, and smaller scale, but I could live with that. I suppose it is because I have never had a high end pc, I want to be able to play the new tw games when they come out, instead of being two games behind. I play supreme commander, c&c, and other strat games i can't think of right now, and I like them.
I think something that shows the differences between console and pc is that, on for example battlefield bad company 2 the console gameplay time is over twice the pc gameplay, but for supreme commander on console you must go to the website forums and arrange a match if you want to play online.
I have a rambled somewhat but my general points are: it will not sell well on console, the game play admittedly will be not as good, but it will give a chance for us on console to play new total war games, without a detracting from the pc experience. This is so hard to type as i am using my phone and I've used the voice to text software.
Gnarlyhotep
Ashigaru
posted 07-08-11 12:25 PM EDT (US)     19 / 20       
"We have actually solved the problem with controlling Total War games using a control pad anyway.
I'll belive that when I see it. I've heard it before when they've done other strategy games on consoles, and it's never been up to snuff. Part marketing overhype, part designers developing a control scheme that works really well....for them.
Selifator
Ashigaru
posted 07-10-11 07:12 AM EDT (US)     20 / 20       
BFM worked quite well on the consoles, so a slightly smaller scale and slower gamespeed might bring a good game. It would also give a chance for deeper gameplay with units, maybe individualize them more, like the generals.

You can't say that civilization don't advance, however, for in every war they kill you in a new way.

Chauvinism is not a particularly nice trait at the best of times but can be suicidal when the person your talking too can have you executed on a whim.

Facebook, anyone?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven | HeavenGames