IE6 is not supported at this time. Please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 9, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Campaign & General Discussion
Moderated by Scipii

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.3 replies
Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven » Forums » Campaign & General Discussion » TWH Podcast Faction and Unit Polling Thread
Bottom
Topic Subject:TWH Podcast Faction and Unit Polling Thread
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
(id: awesomated88)
posted 06-17-13 05:20 AM EDT (US)         
Hey all

So what would be your favorite faction and unit( can be land unit, or naval unit, or both) in Shogun 2 Total War? (Tips on each would be appreciated and just may get you into the Podcast)

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
AuthorReplies:
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 06-17-13 07:28 AM EDT (US)     1 / 3       
Where to begin!

Faction wise I love the Tokugawa. They start off in a really interesting position; a vassal to the Imagawa which means you can't declare your own wars. Their colour scheme is nice too and it's cool when Ieyasu comes of age. Their starting location is also perfectly suited to my playstyle; I can recruit good light cavalry which is used to great effect beside my early yari ashigaru armies. Later bolstered by Katana samurai from Owari once the Oda are defeated, which is always priority number 1. Can be quite a challenging campaign, sometimes the Imagawa betray you quickly, other times they drag you into wars with other powerful clans like the Takeda or Hojo, forcing you to consider taking an honour hit and betraying them.

My favourite unit is probably Katana Cavalry, versatile and powerful. I do enjoy the Kisho Ninja units but they feel more of an 'easter egg' because they're not really as useful as they were intended to be it seems.

In Fall of the Samurai; none of the factions really stand out as favourite, maybe the Nagaoka. But my favourite unit are the Parrott Guns. The devastation they can unleash makes their high cost worth it every time, once I have access to them I find I am rarely in trouble during my battles.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 06-17-13 03:30 PM EDT (US)     2 / 3       
My favorite faction is the Date clan, the reasons for which are because I am a fan of the historical Date Masamune and I'm also a fan of the Sengoku Basara series where he's a six sword wielding ultra-badass Their starting position is one of the best in my opinion since they are at the "top" of Japan so they only have to worry about enemies attacking them from the south. Their home province has a blacksmith which if built up into a weapon smith will give their No-dachi samurai an even bigger bite along with their clan-specific charge bonus. Don't rely on No-dachi samurai in your armies alone as while they have an outstanding charge and initial attack, they can be outfought by katana samurai and can take significant casualties in a protracted melee. With regards to rival clans, the Uesugi and the Takeda should be your primary target as both of these clans, particularly the Takeda, have a talent for quickly squashing the minor clans and turning into significant powerhouses in the mid and late game.

My favorite unit are the Date Clan's Bulletproof Samurai. As their name implies, they're resistant to the bullets fired by matchlock units as well as the arrows from archer ashigaru and other bow-equipped units. They're also fantastic anti-cavalry units and can hold their own against other samurai, but their slow and tire easily so don't try sending them back and forth around the battlemap. Charge them at matchlock units, naginata samurai, yari samurai or heavy cavalry and watch them paint the battlefield red with the blood of your foes.

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"It is not numbers, but vision that wins wars." - Antiochus VII Sidetes
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Angel of Total War: Rome II Heaven and the Total War: Attila Forums
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 06-27-13 05:06 AM EDT (US)     3 / 3       
I do rather like the Hattori- there's something cool about being able to pop everyone up right next to their line and charge straight in. You have to worry about costs and the fact your cavalry and general won't be near the action, however.

Actually, an amusing story happened when I played a friend of mine on multi. He got a few ninja, and stuck them outside his deployment zone in a clump of trees ready to flank me when I rolled in. The problem was that I had stuck virtually my whole army as the Hattori in the same clump of trees, ready to flankk him when he saw that I only had a few men, so both our plans got shot immediately, his ninja were overwhelmed, and I won the day quite happily. Good times.

Medium bunes are a good naval unit- when upgraded with fire arrows they can act as skirmishers but can take out the annoying light bunes by themselves with a swift bording action. They'll make up the mainstay of any of my navies.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven | HeavenGames