IE6 is not supported at this time. Please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 9, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Campaign & General Discussion
Moderated by Scipii

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.1 reply
Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven » Forums » Campaign & General Discussion » Blacksmith Question- Shogun Noob
Bottom
Topic Subject:Blacksmith Question- Shogun Noob
Celban
Ashigaru
posted 12-26-12 11:35 AM EDT (US)         
Hello

I am new to Shogun 2. I have been playing the TW series for years so I am very familiar with the concepts tho.

Shogun seems to have changed the game though when it comes to upgrading and retraining units, and one area I need to investigate is the Blacksmith.

My first campaign is with the Shimazu. At the first opportunity I upgraded the Blacksmith only to find out I had a choice of weapon or armor.

I chose weapon to augment the Shimazu traits with the sword, thinking I would choose armor with a later upgrade, I was never able to upgrade my Castle yet, so I havenlt unlocked the upper tier, does this allow a new Blacksmith upgrade to armor?

New units created get the weapon icon on their cards but old units with experience never get the weapon upgrade. I couldn't figure out how to retrain them, until I read a post today about merging units, which is new to me.

Also I read that if you open the unit creation panel and drag units into available slots you can upgrade them. I will try this after work today.

What puzzles me is I have some older Shimazu Katana units that on their card shows an "armor" icon as well as the "weapon" icon, only 4 units have this, but no newly created units get that armor bonus, only the weapon.

Did I lose armor when I upgraded the Blacksmith? What am I missing? I need a guide with regards to Blacksmiths and upgrading. My research continues!

Thanks!!
AuthorReplies:
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
(id: awesomated88)
posted 01-07-13 07:30 PM EDT (US)     1 / 1       
Hi Again
I chose weapon to augment the Shimazu traits with the sword, thinking I would choose armor with a later upgrade, I was never able to upgrade my Castle yet, so I havenlt unlocked the upper tier, does this allow a new Blacksmith upgrade to armor?
Unfortunately no. Which ever you pick you are stuck with unless you demolish the building and rebuild it from ground up.
New units created get the weapon icon on their cards but old units with experience never get the weapon upgrade. I couldn't figure out how to retrain them, until I read a post today about merging units, which is new to me.
It appears that units cannot be retrained with newer, better weapons which is sad and something i only just realised.
What puzzles me is I have some older Shimazu Katana units that on their card shows an "armor" icon as well as the "weapon" icon, only 4 units have this, but no newly created units get that armour bonus, only the weapon.

This is probably due to being recruited before you upgraded it to the Weapon smith. Before the upgrade it gives a bonus to both armour and weapons(one in each) but by specializing it increases skill in one, and loses another.

Hope this helps

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven | HeavenGames