IE6 is not supported at this time. Please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 9, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Campaign & General Discussion
Moderated by Scipii

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.2 replies
Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven » Forums » Campaign & General Discussion » New Shogun 2 Player here-Hello!
Bottom
Topic Subject:New Shogun 2 Player here-Hello!
Celban
Ashigaru
posted 12-26-12 08:38 AM EDT (US)         
Hello fellow gamers

I love the TW series, and recently got Shogun 2, I had been avoiding it because of Steam. I stopped playing Empire because of Steam, I hate Steam. So now that's off my chest lol.

Anyway, I started with the Shimazu to learn the mechanics playing on normal difficulty.

I tried my "tried and true" tactic learned from previous TW titles of building economy first with enough military to withstand attacks until I could improve upgrades for better military then build my army and expand from there.

I find myself nearing the end of the campaign (losing) running out of time with two unbeatable provinces lol (AI wise), Satsuma and Osumi with no way to improve the Castles due to lack of stone and no way to improve the Sword school due to lack of Iron.

I think I got a pretty good handle on the Arts, what a wonderful tree to control a clans destiny, but I tended to split the focus between Chi and Martial a bit too much I think.

This first campaign I also didn't have much luck holding trade routes, but managed the markets, taxes and farms to the point I could support the two provinces and didn't have the strength to hold a third province.

So I have questions

The Blacksmithy can be upgraded either one of two ways, weapons or armor. Since the Shimazu have a strong weapon trait, I chose to upgrade to weapon to capitalize that strength. But what about a more balanced approach by choosing armor next time?

I also noticed that you cannot upgrade a unit by rotating it into a province with a new blacksmith etc, is this true? I will have to rethink my approach...

Also, I noticed that I had some Shimazu Katana that had an armor icon indicated on their cards as well as the weapon icon.
But latter Shimazu Katana did not have the armor icon, only the weapon. Did I lose the armor when I upgraded the blacksmith to weapon? I dunno what happened there.

In Satsuma I focused on Swords, and got up to No-Dachi and Shimazu Samurai and in Osumi I focused on Archery and managed to get up to Bow Samurai. Is this a good tactic?

Currently I have 5 Shimazu Katana, 4 Bow Samurai and 3 Yari Ashigaru at each province that withstand most seiges pretty well and now and then I have to reinforce either city by borrowing troops from the other province. I stopped recruiting No-Dachi because they always took a beating, and seemed to be marginally effective in combat. Maybe I do not understand their proper use.

Satsuma has the Saki Den and Osumi has the Monastery and I chose the Military Ports instead of the other (cant remember, with the ability to get firearms as well as Christianity), I decided to roleplay and keep to the old traditions.

I suffered many attacks and got pretty good at defending from the AI and gained strong experienced troops that I distribute between the provinces. But my economy doesn't support an expansion effort.

Perhaps I will restart this campaign and use more Yari Ashigaru with more focus on the arts for the economy and spears until I can control provinces that have resources I need to unlock the upper tiers of buildings and really improve the Swords later.

Its obvious this game does not favor a commander that gets entrenched for the long haul, as I just got a warning that my time was running out to capture Kyoto lol
AuthorReplies:
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 12-31-12 04:12 PM EDT (US)     1 / 2       
I've only had the game a shortish while and have played one campaign. I managed to get by with a light garrison in most settlements, with a few archers (helped by being Chesoboaokobe) holding things nicely.

The point on not being able to retrain units is quite a shame - but (another point in the favour of expansion) there are location specific resources/buildings that let you get some impressive boosts to one area or another, if you could combine them (with high attack, extra armour, extra morale, extra experience etc) it would be a bit too good to be true. Being able to be recruit samurai archers with 98 accuracy and something like 70 reload is quite nice (master bow maker on the artisan resource, with a hunting lodge (from the encampment chain of building) and experience bonuses from a high level archery range).

I'd say expand quickly and try to get a corner of the map so you can have safe settlements (other than from naval invasions).

I can't offer much good advice, but read the descriptions of the buildings on both sides of the chain and it might solve things like the blacksmith conundrum - I didn't pay too much attention to them given that I used mainly archer based armies.
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
(id: awesomated88)
posted 01-07-13 03:57 PM EDT (US)     2 / 2       
Hi Celban and welcome to the forums. Sorry for the late reply.
I tried my "tried and true" tactic learned from previous TW titles of building economy first with enough military to withstand attacks until I could improve upgrades for better military then build my army and expand from there.
The difference between Shogun and previous titles is the seemingly smaller amount of time you have to complete the game compared to other titles. This Total war game favours the expansionist to a point where that once i have the ball rolling sometimes I am unstoppable. Whilst in othr games i do similar to your tactics, the opening rush is where you can get the most provinces the easiest as you are facing possibly similar strength or weaker opponents.
I find myself nearing the end of the campaign (losing) running out of time with two unbeatable provinces lol (AI wise), Satsuma and Osumi with no way to improve the Castles due to lack of stone and no way to improve the Sword school due to lack of Iron.
Resources are critical in Shogun 2. Try scanning around the map and look for the little indicators as to what resource is a available and try and place them in your strategy of domination.
I think I got a pretty good handle on the Arts, what a wonderful tree to control a clans destiny, but I tended to split the focus between Chi and Martial a bit too much I think.
I myself split my Arts fairly evenly but adapt to a situation. Most of the time i immediately go for the Way of The sword when playing as the Shimazu as it will allow me to better play to my advantage which is Kantana Samurai. After that i researches for tax bonuses and road upgrades to allow for better communication to my now growing lands. Definitely don't forget to research farms as they are essential.
This first campaign I also didn't have much luck holding trade routes, but managed the markets, taxes and farms to the point I could support the two provinces and didn't have the strength to hold a third province.
Being the Shimazu, you are located close to a trade node or two so holding it is essential for some bonus income, but dont let your economy depend on just trade. I learnt that the hard way. Building up a bit of a larger navy will help hold the nodes and the bonus income it provides and allow you to build up some experience in naval warfare.
The Blacksmithy can be upgraded either one of two ways, weapons or armor. Since the Shimazu have a strong weapon trait, I chose to upgrade to weapon to capitalize that strength. But what about a more balanced approach by choosing armor next time?

I also noticed that you cannot upgrade a unit by rotating it into a province with a new blacksmith etc, is this true? I will have to rethink my approach...
The blacksmith question depends on your playing style in battles. If you are offensive and want to cause the most amount of casualties to the enemy as possible then doing weapons would be better, But if you are a defensive general(like me) you may want to go armour as it will lessen the casualties you take, and allow your men to stay longer in combat whilst your archers fling death from above on their rear ranks. I believe to upgrade a unit you must be able to build it in the province that can up grade it. I may be wrong though.
In Satsuma I focused on Swords, and got up to No-Dachi and Shimazu Samurai and in Osumi I focused on Archery and managed to get up to Bow Samurai. Is this a good tactic?
Yes it is a good tactic but be sure to capitalise on resources available as Swampy suggested. I normally have 1 province creating top cavalry, another infantry, another archers and another building ships.
Currently I have 5 Shimazu Katana, 4 Bow Samurai and 3 Yari Ashigaru
A balanced army yes, but you will have to use more Ashigaru units as they have smaller upkeep and can be useful. Samurai are very good units but have a large upkeep.

Hope this helps..

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven | HeavenGames