IE6 is not supported at this time. Please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 9, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Campaign & General Discussion
Moderated by Scipii

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.22 replies
Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven » Forums » Campaign & General Discussion » Fall of the Samurai - First Impressions
Bottom
Topic Subject:Fall of the Samurai - First Impressions
Scipii
TWH Seraph
posted 03-22-12 11:56 PM EDT (US)         
So with Fall of the Samurai now released people have now been able to get hands on with the retail version of the game. I haven't had much time yet personally since the 9 gig patch\FotS download took a bit of time with everyone in the world updating at the same time, but I did get a bit of time to check a few things out.

Here are a few of the things I've seen so far that I did like:
- The way the victory conditions are structured are interesting and somewhat fresh. Now people have an incentive to help their factional allies since they help count towards overall victory, that doesn't mean you have to obviously but the option is there.
- Melee troops and cavalry are not totally invalidated by gunlines early on, but obviously later on as better troop quality and technologies kick in things start swinging to favour of guns over swords.
- The new 40 versus 40 battles, oh god all that carnage is soo beautiful (and makes my graphic card weep).

What has been everyone else's first impressions so far?
AuthorReplies:
Scenter102
Ashigaru
posted 03-23-12 03:57 PM EDT (US)     1 / 22       
You really were not kidding about the download, 1 hr left. Almost as bad as Skyrim.

How do the international nations play a part.
srlj3721
Ashigaru
posted 03-23-12 05:18 PM EDT (US)     2 / 22       
i thibk they should have given us a bit of warning just logged on this morning wanting to try out fall of the samurai and BAM! 9 gig patch which pretty uch means after the download no iternet for the rest of the Month not so pleasent surpirise check
Scenter102
Ashigaru
posted 03-24-12 11:26 AM EDT (US)     3 / 22       
Wow, Totally worth the install. The revolver cav is beyond deadly though.
srlj3721
Ashigaru
posted 03-24-12 07:37 PM EDT (US)     4 / 22       
my frist impression is im so dirt poor constently i cant get anything is this normal of am i doing somthing wrong?
Scenter102
Ashigaru
posted 03-24-12 07:48 PM EDT (US)     5 / 22       
who you playing as?
Patpat
Ashigaru
posted 03-24-12 11:13 PM EDT (US)     6 / 22       
Armstrong and Parrot gun rape!!

not again...
srlj3721
Ashigaru
posted 03-25-12 03:05 AM EDT (US)     7 / 22       
Greeting i am happily no longer dirt poor and have so much money i barly know what to do with it also have been declared imperial vangaurd and am hated by just about every shogun suporrter by loved by imperial supporters

also gataling guns rule the world

revolver cav so awesome
Scipii
TWH Seraph
posted 03-25-12 09:59 AM EDT (US)     8 / 22       
Currently playing as the Tosa and ruling the seas with mighty, but darn expensive, Ironclads. Nothing like wiping out an entire enemy unit or more on the campaign map with a naval bombardment to gradually grind down my foes. Using my naval power to strike where I want to expand my dominion, so currently I'm working my way westwards by first taking over the newly (thanks to FotS) Hokkaido island.

Modern technology is great to unlock and use on the campaign map and battlefield. It can be a bit of a balancing act trying to modernise the clan, while keeping everyone happy, while also trying to spend as little money/upkeep on military garrisons. I prefer to have my troops out on the battlefield helping me gradually take over Japan, not on crowd control duties in safe provinces contributing little else to the war effort.

Gotten to Fall of the Samurai's Realm Divide, so in an all out Imperial versus Shogunate faction war. Unfortunately currently the Shogunate occupies more of Japan, but luckily I, my MP Campaign friend, my two vasssals, and our two biggish Imperialist allies are strong enough to resist and take the fight to them.

The Direct Control feature for artillery and ships is nifty, though you want to use carefully and prudently lest you forget the bigger picture. Definitely comes in to its own in co-op MP campaign battles where responsibilities can be shared and split between friends, so realistically someone could be in charge of directly controlling artillery pieces or naval ships.
Scenter102
Ashigaru
posted 03-25-12 07:32 PM EDT (US)     9 / 22       
I like using it to target generals and get a little bit of extra rang on my arty.
CommanderVideo
Ashigaru
posted 03-25-12 11:39 PM EDT (US)     10 / 22       
I think that CA did a wonderful job on FoTS. Features such as the 10 minute countdown online after capturing all key buildings is phenomenal to prevent camping. One sign CA put true thought and care into making the game. In my opinion, Parrot and Armstrong guns need a nerf, but other than that, the game is freaking awe-spiring. I love it, and I already feel that I have gotten my money's worth out of it, despite only having owned it for 2 days now.

00DATACOMPILED11 11 COMMANDERVIDEOENGAGE1--MISSIONREQUEST1--PERSONALINFORMATIONPLEASE11 11 CANNOTDO1NOPERSONALINFORMATIONAVAILABLE11 11 COMMANDERVIDEODISENGAGE1--THECOMMANDER1
Scipii
TWH Seraph
posted 03-27-12 00:24 AM EDT (US)     11 / 22       
Finally got around to using some Gatling Guns and Emperor oh Emperor do they dish out the hurt when they fire. Got to be careful about positioning and protecting them carefully though since like most artillery they will be dangerously exposed to mid-reload cavalry charges and other such things.

However, despite that I would usually rather research Kneel Fire first over Gatling Guns. You still need grunts to do the dirty work and learning Kneel Fire can practically double their firepower, since it allows the second row to fire along with the first row.
AFF92
Ashigaru
posted 03-27-12 10:19 PM EDT (US)     12 / 22       
Beat my first campaign as Satsuma. I wasn't really looking at objectives and I was at spring of 1870 with still Musashi to capture (1870 is last year to win). It was a scramble but really fun.

The artillery is very strong and hard-hitting, the samurai still have a place in warfare even with rifles, and the ironclads are really cool to play with. Overall, this is just a huge improvement to Shogun 2 with many new options.

TAD ROX
Scipii
TWH Seraph
posted 03-28-12 10:30 AM EDT (US)     13 / 22       
On to playing as the Satsuma now in a singleplayer campaign, so once again playing as an Imperial clan. I have been finding the Ishi Shishi very useful at helping break up the powerful Shogunate supporting Oka Clan on Kyushu, more so when used en-mass to speed up the process. While initially likely superior to me the Oka's power is gradually waning as I make their domains rebel, which I then try and rush in to snap up to increase my power. One does not always see the Oka control the majority of Kyushu early on in the campaign, but for this campaign fate and fortune seems to have smiled on them.

Sometimes more devious methods are required to help achieve victory, and these methods can prove quite helpful. Though admittedly it is a shame that I cannot convert domains to my cause like in Rise of the Samurai, I can convert the populace to my cause but I cannot seemingly peacefully takeover the province for a monetary cost.

[This message has been edited by Scipii (edited 03-28-2012 @ 10:37 AM).]

srlj3721
Ashigaru
posted 03-29-12 03:48 AM EDT (US)     14 / 22       
As i preordered i got the tsu clan other then the fact that there smack dang in the middle of japan and are a great target for shogun lolayistls they are pretty awesome the shinobei just crush any enemy genral near by and i have a 3 star of all the other agnets

also really rich and i took kyoto without realising it was kyoto oops
AFF92
Ashigaru
posted 03-30-12 00:15 AM EDT (US)     15 / 22       
I found that artillery is a necessary and powerful component of any army. Unlike in other total wars, artillery is a very useful and hard-hitting unit. Having 2 parrots or armstrong guns are a must.

Also, leaving your cities and ports open to naval bombardment is a dangerous and costly mistake. The enemy AI takes every opportunity to bombard your weak points. It costs thousands of koku to repair the damage.

TAD ROX
Scipii
TWH Seraph
posted 03-30-12 00:26 AM EDT (US)     16 / 22       
Oh that's some nasty stuff when the AI happens to take out your best trade ports. Had one trade port that was bringing in a full 60% of my 10k income per turn, the rest of my trade went through the trade port at Satsuma. Had to spend a turn with my income per turn at 400 gold when they both got raided, both a funny and sad moment.

Luckily they were only blockaded and not damaged, I had a decent navy by then to protect my trade interests so the AI didn't have the time to get around to bombarding my infrastructure luckily.
CommanderVideo
Ashigaru
posted 04-01-12 01:47 PM EDT (US)     17 / 22       
After having been playing for a while, I have some honest complaints to make about the game. The game is extremely biased on a large amount of maps, because of the random spawning of the buildings. All it takes is a lucky spawn of the morale shrine, and almost right out of the spawn, you can take the morale shrine, which is an almost guaranteed win. Also, cavalry engagements seem to be extremely finicky as far as morale goes. I can fight 3 units of unveteran Yari Ki with 3 units of very veteran Yari Ki, and lose, because of stupid morale affects. There are without a doubt glitches and bugs scattered throughout the game, and I hope that CA is working hard to fix them.

00DATACOMPILED11 11 COMMANDERVIDEOENGAGE1--MISSIONREQUEST1--PERSONALINFORMATIONPLEASE11 11 CANNOTDO1NOPERSONALINFORMATIONAVAILABLE11 11 COMMANDERVIDEODISENGAGE1--THECOMMANDER1
Scipii
TWH Seraph
posted 04-04-12 10:52 PM EDT (US)     18 / 22       
Can't say I've played that much multiplayer just yet, but that does seem quite annoying on first thought. On an unrelated note, destroying a ship with a torpedo is quite the visual feast. Had my Torpedo Boat blow up a Warrior Class Ironclad and it was one of the most awesome visual shows yet, the Ironclad blew to smitherines split in half and sank. Twas dead bodies and debris everywhere after the smoke and flames cleared. I should screenshot that the next time it happens.
srlj3721
Ashigaru
posted 04-05-12 11:32 PM EDT (US)     19 / 22       
i did a custom battle with 20 torpedo ships vs one warrior class ironclad with full exp i manage to hit it with a torpedo and it was awesome just as you described scipii i have a few screenshots of it but have no idea how to load them also got the achviment kill warior class ship in battle!
CommanderVideo
Ashigaru
posted 04-06-12 11:04 AM EDT (US)     20 / 22       
I also did the exact same thing. I purchased as many torpedo boats as I could, and gave the enemy army an ironclad, and the torpedo explosion is indeed quite entertaining.

Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 08-28-12 01:18 PM EDT (US)     21 / 22       
I just bought this from Amazon. What should I expect?

Is a traditional Samurai army viable or am I going to be forced into Napoleon esque armies at some point?

Also; Hardest faction?

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
Scipii
TWH Seraph
posted 09-16-12 08:34 AM EDT (US)     22 / 22       
Take 3, the server move ate my last two attempts apparently.

You should expect a better version of Realm Divide, unless you decide to go it alone with the Ezo Republic option. Realm Divide now falls in to a factional battle between the Imperialists and Shogunate for control of Japan, ergo allies and vassals (as long as they are of the same faction) can be quite useful now. Navies play a larger role and can be seen as vital in Fall of the Samurai, naval bombardment can be a great raiding tool since repairing damaged buildings can cost an arm and a leg. It is also faster to navigate Japan by sea unless you have access to a great railway network since marching by foot can take a while.

Traditional armies are certainly viable, and many of the Shogunate clans have bonuses which enhance them. While westernized armies will become stronger as your campaigns progress thanks to the discover of powerful new technologies that does not mean that traditional armies suddenly become useless. Rather, you just have to think smarter about how to approach them in battle, for they can still be quite vulnerable if caught in melee.

The Nagaoka are commonly seen as the hardest faction in Fall of the Samurai to survive as. In general the Shogunate clans are seen as harder then the Imperialist clans due to reasons such as starting position. The Tsu are probably the hardest of the Imperialist clans due to their starting position, as starting on Honshu seems to have that effect on clans.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven | HeavenGames