IE6 is not supported at this time. Please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 9, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Campaign & General Discussion
Moderated by Scipii

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.3 replies
Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven » Forums » Campaign & General Discussion » Shogun 2 Demo Impressions.
Bottom
Topic Subject:Shogun 2 Demo Impressions.
brianiangoodman
Ashigaru
posted 12-31-11 08:35 PM EDT (US)         
I have to say, I don't have much interest in Feudal Japan. However I decided to download the demo from Steam of Shogun 2 because it for the first time offered the campaign tutorial in the demo, and it gave me a chance to see what a campaign would be like in the main game.

It was pretty good, I have to say. However I did have two big issues.

1. Every time I tried to enter a real time battle from the campaign map, the game would crash on me, which forced me to autoresolve most of my battles. It was okay, but I could not get a feel for the battles that way.

2. I felt severly restricted in what I could build in every town. The game only gave me 3 or 4 slots for structures, and so when I had to build a temple to make the people happy so that I could raise taxes again like I did so many times in the other total war games, I had to destroy one of the unit producing structures, and if I wanted to build one of these in each province I owned, it would severly restrict my ability to raise an army.

I don't like being restricted in that way when it comes to developing my settlements. I like to build all type of buildings in most of my settlements so that I do not have any problems.

I like the diplomacy and research options though. I also like that I can choose what abilities my characters gets.

Golden Rules of Compainging:
1. It's the Economy
2. Controlled Expansion
3. Keeping Momentum
AuthorReplies:
CommanderVideo
Ashigaru
posted 01-02-12 11:31 AM EDT (US)     1 / 3       
That's the thing about Shogun. It makes you think tactically about the moment, and what the settlements should be. Should you make a settlement mostly tax and research, but it's on the front lines and risk losing it, assuming you don't continue your blitz, or make a military settlement and make it become useless in a while because it will take too long for units to get around? It makes you think. Think hard, and I like it. As for the battles, I profusely apologize, I've no idea what is up with that.

00DATACOMPILED11 11 COMMANDERVIDEOENGAGE1--MISSIONREQUEST1--PERSONALINFORMATIONPLEASE11 11 CANNOTDO1NOPERSONALINFORMATIONAVAILABLE11 11 COMMANDERVIDEODISENGAGE1--THECOMMANDER1
AFF92
Ashigaru
posted 01-02-12 01:41 PM EDT (US)     2 / 3       
CommanderVideo is correct.

Your cities can no longer be large economic and military powerhouses such as Empire:Total War. For these smaller Japanese towns, building decisions are much more important (especially because money is scarce in the early game). Your decisions could mean upgrading your farms to allow more food, upgrading a castle to gain defense and an extra building slot, building your temples to gain more happiness, building markets for a better economy, building dojos to recruit a stronger militarty, etc. and the list goes on.

Its part of what makes Shogun 2 a very decision-based game. Same goes with generals and the RPG-like abilites you can build.

TAD ROX
CommanderVideo
Ashigaru
posted 01-03-12 05:31 PM EDT (US)     3 / 3       
Which, continuing on from what Mr. AFF said, is why I absolutely LOVE the Shogun campaign. I honestly consider it one of the best campaign ever in a total war campaign, especially because of the special abilities that all of your units can get, depending on which clan you choose.

00DATACOMPILED11 11 COMMANDERVIDEOENGAGE1--MISSIONREQUEST1--PERSONALINFORMATIONPLEASE11 11 CANNOTDO1NOPERSONALINFORMATIONAVAILABLE11 11 COMMANDERVIDEODISENGAGE1--THECOMMANDER1
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven | HeavenGames