IE6 is not supported at this time. Please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 9, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.46 replies
Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » Sepia Joust VIII- What will it be? FANTASY! (Discussion scroll)
Bottom
Topic Subject:Sepia Joust VIII- What will it be? FANTASY! (Discussion scroll)
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 03-23-14 01:04 PM EDT (US)         
Aprilius is soon upon us, and by the time it departs, we must have chosen a new genre for the coming Joust.

Winter is on its way out, the crocuses are blooming, and the time has come to sharpen our quills for the next round. As always, we vote on a new genre, hear the bragging of those who dare not enter, listen to the mighty crowing of others, then by the Kalends of October submit our pieces for the Voting Scroll.

The genres are:

Poetry (rhyming)
Historic fiction (Sepia Joust VII)
Fantasy IIII
Poetry (prose)
Science Fiction (Sepia Joust IV)
Comedy/Parody (Sepia Joust V)
Criminal (in old days) (Sepia Joust VI)
Romantic / Romantic Adventure
Documentary
Advisory
Horror (Sepia Joust III)
Thriller
Brief History (Sepia Joust I)
Diary / Journal (Sepia Joust II)

Place your votes. The sooner we decide on a genre, the more time we will have to prepare a fitting piece.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 04-07-2014 @ 08:39 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
(id: awesomated88)
posted 03-24-14 04:40 AM EDT (US)     1 / 46       
Ok, so just trying to decide on what to vote for.

Now could i get a tad bit of explanation on the categories of Documentary and Advisory? Like is it kind of like our history articles for the Documentary category?

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 03-24-14 06:52 AM EDT (US)     2 / 46       
Advisory is, to me, Gameplay advice or similar, while documentary is a running narrative of a (current) event or news-type article.

However, if you all decide differently, or have different ideas, let them be heard.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Alex_the_Bold
Ashigaru
posted 03-25-14 10:57 AM EDT (US)     3 / 46       
Terikel, are the texts in the advisory section supposed to be just plain gameplay advice texts, or article-like texts with accompanying pictures?

BTW, regarding the Joust genre, I'm between Poetry(prose) and Advisory...

Invincibility lies in defence, while the possibility of victory in the attack -Sun Tzu
Akouson me, pataxon de (hit me, but first listen to me)-Themistocles to Euribiadis prior to the battle of Salamis.
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 03-26-14 02:46 PM EDT (US)     4 / 46       
Beats me. The category/genre was added several years ago by popular acclaim.

Make of it what you want. I am thinking it would be a sort of article for the site, though.

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 03-29-14 07:09 PM EDT (US)     5 / 46       
Ok, i will Choose Fantasy. It might be fun to write a story with Dragons and elves etc...

History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
General Sajaru
Daimyo
posted 03-30-14 10:51 PM EDT (US)     6 / 46       
I also vote for Fantasy although I don't know how much time I'll have to write a new story, so I may submit one I did a while back for it.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 04-01-14 10:50 PM EDT (US)     7 / 46       
I shall ride the tide and vote Fantasy as well. I actually have an idea for historical fantasy that's been brewing in my head for a long time, but have yet to commit to paper (or rather Word document). I may submit a sample of it for this Joust if my choice should carry the day.

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"It is not numbers, but vision that wins wars." - Antiochus VII Sidetes
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Cherub of Total War: Rome II Heaven and the Total War: Attila Forums
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 04-05-14 11:37 AM EDT (US)     8 / 46       
I too shall cast my vote for Fantasy.

There, the nail in the coffin. Unanimous even.

Submissions will open in September. That gives anyone wishing to enter ample time to put together a good tale.

For those needing a bit of direction-
Fantasy entails elements fo the following: magic, mythical races such as elves and dwarves, legendary events, and frikking dragons!

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 04-05-2014 @ 11:37 AM).]

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 04-05-14 07:35 PM EDT (US)     9 / 46       
Yay!

Good luck to all those writing and entering. Gods willing, i will also be submitting this year.

Alex_the_Bold
Ashigaru
posted 04-08-14 09:59 AM EDT (US)     10 / 46       
So, Fantasy it is then... Fortunately, I finish school in June (after the Panhellenics), so I hope I can finally enter the Joust (as well as finish my unfinished story).

Invincibility lies in defence, while the possibility of victory in the attack -Sun Tzu
Akouson me, pataxon de (hit me, but first listen to me)-Themistocles to Euribiadis prior to the battle of Salamis.
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 04-08-14 10:36 AM EDT (US)     11 / 46       
Looking forward to reading your entries.

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 04-10-14 10:16 PM EDT (US)     12 / 46       
As we are yours noble Skald!

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 07-24-14 03:54 PM EDT (US)     13 / 46       
Mine is ready.

*Reminder*

The end of Augustus is about five weeks away.

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 08-03-14 06:30 PM EDT (US)     14 / 46       
That came quickly...

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 08-04-14 05:59 AM EDT (US)     15 / 46       
Now four weeks.

I hope you guys are ready... I am.

Alex_the_Bold
Ashigaru
posted 08-04-14 11:06 AM EDT (US)     16 / 46       
Mine isn't ready yet...

General Sajaru
Daimyo
posted 08-04-14 11:57 AM EDT (US)     17 / 46       
Mine's ready.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 08-04-14 05:44 PM EDT (US)     18 / 46       
*In Progress*

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 08-18-14 02:23 AM EDT (US)     19 / 46       
A forthinght, thereabouts.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 08-25-14 03:01 AM EDT (US)     20 / 46       
Under a week.

I have been spending much time traveling the provinces of Tamriel, gathering more experiences upon which to spin tales.

My tale shall rock thy world.

Maybe.

General Sajaru
Daimyo
posted 08-25-14 10:56 AM EDT (US)     21 / 46       
I look forward to reading it.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 09-02-14 08:39 AM EDT (US)     22 / 46       
Yours was an awesome write, Gen'ral. I'm already a fan of your "The King's Own" and its world, and this was very much a tasty sidedish from the same banquet of Arbatrosian action.

Just frikkin awesome!

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 09-08-14 04:09 AM EDT (US)     23 / 46       
Mine is up.

And for you others, one week left of Sumissions before Voting commences!

General Sajaru
Daimyo
posted 09-08-14 01:59 PM EDT (US)     24 / 46       
A thoroughly enjoyable tale, Terikel.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 09-10-14 00:49 AM EDT (US)     25 / 46       
Thanks.

To you others, Submissions close when Sunday has passed, unless an extension is asked before then.

Then we can get on to Voting!

DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 09-10-14 01:29 AM EDT (US)     26 / 46       
Haven't had as much time as I would like to work on my entry these past few weeks. Might have to ask for an extension this Saturday if I haven't put on the finishing touches by then.

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 09-10-14 06:55 AM EDT (US)     27 / 46       
Is good. Keep us informed and we can then allow patience to rule.

DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 09-12-14 01:29 AM EDT (US)     28 / 46       
I officially request an extension of the deadline to the Sunday of September 21.

I wasn't able to finish to my entry to satisfaction this week, but I have 4 days off next week which should be plenty of time for me to edit, revise and rewrite my entry to a respectable level of quality. Hopefully this will help encourage other potential participants to work on their own pieces and submit them as well. Would be a shame if the only forumers to participate were experienced writers like ourselves instead of some new and up-and-coming hotheads

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 09-12-14 02:13 AM EDT (US)     29 / 46       
Submissions will duly close when Sunday 21 September is no more.

Good luck.

And to you others... we await your entries.

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 09-16-14 02:58 PM EDT (US)     30 / 46       
Unfortunately I shall have to bow out of my submission due to a hell combination of family issues and university. My submission is only half complete and nowhere near the quality of your amazing submissions. I hope I can release it in these noble halls before Christmas. My apologies.

But Terikel and GS, your amazing entries both deserve a vote- and are worthy of your bardic reputations. DU- I eagerly await to read your entry.

General Sajaru
Daimyo
posted 09-16-14 10:23 PM EDT (US)     31 / 46       
That's too bad, AE, but I'm looking forward to reading your story when you get the time to put it up.

For anyone who enjoyed my submission, it's set the same world as the series of books I've been working on, the first of which you can find here.

DU, I'm eagerly awaiting your submission.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 09-17-14 01:42 AM EDT (US)     32 / 46       
Me too.

DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 09-20-14 04:33 AM EDT (US)     33 / 46       
Almost done putting the finishing touches on it my friends. Should have it done and posted by Sunday night or Monday morning EST at the latest

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 09-21-14 04:38 AM EDT (US)     34 / 46       
The last døgn (24 hours) has begun.

Unless, of course, DU needs a bit more time. Then we extend a bit.

This contest is about quality. Better a masterpiece served late than trash served early.

DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 09-21-14 12:24 PM EDT (US)     35 / 46       
I believe I'll need an extension of one more day to complete my submission. I would have finished and submitted it before the day was over, but I just received a call from my boss asking me to come in a few hours earlier Will finish and submit my piece as soon as I return home tonight.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 09-22-14 02:01 AM EDT (US)     36 / 46       
Real Life comes first.

We can wait.

DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 09-22-14 03:11 PM EDT (US)     37 / 46       
I'm proud to report that my entry has been posted in the submissions thread. I hope you all enjoy the tale of the Scarlet Shields

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 09-23-14 00:36 AM EDT (US)     38 / 46       
And the Submissions are officially closed.

(It can be re-opened if someone comes with a tale before I throw open the Voting scroll. Hint, hint)

General Sajaru
Daimyo
posted 09-23-14 08:58 PM EDT (US)     39 / 46       
Excellent story, DU! I rather enjoyed the amalgam of historical and fantastical elements.

DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 09-23-14 09:28 PM EDT (US)     40 / 46       
Thanks Sajaru! I finally had enough spare time you read your story as well. I loved that it felt like a fantasy version of World War One with the use of all the infantry titles and the military lingo.

I also had a lot of fun reading Terikel's story. The classic tale of a conflict centered on the ancient enmity between Elves and Orcs, but with the Old One's signature humor and witty dialogue.

Looking forward to seeing how many people vote and who wins. I'm also updating the TWH FB on the status of the Joust and will post another update if we get another late entry or when the voting scroll opens.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 10-16-14 02:30 AM EDT (US)     41 / 46       
Shall we give the Gentle Readers four more days to bring forth their voices, or shall we be generous and grant them a fifth day for free?

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 10-22-14 04:52 AM EDT (US)     42 / 46       
The final hours have dawned.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 10-23-14 00:50 AM EDT (US)     43 / 46       
Sepia Joust VIII is now a part of history.

Three well-respected and mighty masters of the Quill had entered the arena, and fought gloriously. General Sajaru released his Zhuravi barbarians upon the hapless Arbatrosian company guarding the supply convopy of the Steel Legion. DominicusUltimus replied by dispatching a mercenary company to support a Successor against another. Terikel, not to be daunted, unleashed a horde of orcs upon the elven city, then sent in a single hero to set matters right.

The Zhuravi battled wildly and strongly, but the Arbatrosan soldiers fought heroically and held their own for a long while. The Mercs of Dom were professionals in deed and desire, and long had these and the Arbatrosians held victory in their hands while the elves of Terikel died under swords and axes wielded by orckish hands.

Then, just as light was to be extinguished, the Successor army broke, and the Zhuravi onslaught faded. A single barbarian, a human in elven service, surged through the hordes to seize a surprising victory in this Joust. The mercenary Commander and Captain of the Arbatrosians nodded their acclaim and withdrew, leaving the Human Hero of the Elves as Last Man Standing.

Congratulations to Terikel Grayhair, and his Elfin Logic.

General Sajaru
Daimyo
posted 10-23-14 10:47 PM EDT (US)     44 / 46       
Nicely done Terikel! And well done DU. Glad you submitted a story this year.

DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 10-26-14 11:11 PM EDT (US)     45 / 46       
Congrats to Terikel and Sajaru and thank you to everyone who voted in this year's Sepia Joust!

Thank you Sajaru! It was very fun and enjoyable competing with a fellow writer of your skill and experience. Looking forward to doing it again next year if the subject suits me

Terikel, once again I fall to your superior experience and formidable writing skills. One day I hope to honorably defeat you and claim the title of Champion of the Joust

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 10-27-14 02:54 AM EDT (US)     46 / 46       
This joust may have had a victor, but it had no losers.

I was most impressed with the tales you two pumped out- it could have gone in any direction.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven | HeavenGames