IE6 is not supported at this time. Please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 9, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.27 replies
Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » Birth of a Thracian Empire
Bottom
Topic Subject:Birth of a Thracian Empire
Bluebottlejr
Ashigaru
posted 03-21-14 04:23 AM EDT (US)         
I have seen many people write up stories before on this site. So, after some reading, I've decided to write my own story here. I looked around the site and I found out that there is hardly anything about Thrace, so I decided to write a story based on a campaign I did on RTW. So, without further interruptions, let the story commence!

Birth of a Thracian Empire

Prologue
It is the year 267BC, and Thrace and Dacia are at war against each other. The Thracian king, Prytos, sent his brother Byzas, the crown prince of Thrace, to Dacia. Byzas has an army of new recruits and some veterans to help him, along with him are 2 commanders who help him in their war efforts. But there are other enemies around them, the Macedonians could at anytime march straight into Thrace, Scythia borders Thrace to the north, and they could conduct raids into Thracian villages and towns, Pontus lies across the Black Sea, but they could launch an aggressive campaign into Thrace, the Greeks might help Macedon in attacking Thracian villages and towns, then there is the rising power of Rome, who knows what could happen when Thrace and Rome meet, only time can tell.

Chapter 1: The Coming Storm
The weather began to become colder than before, as if the gods were punishing the Thracians, but they would not have believed it anyway, for they believed the gods were on their side and the storm was to punish their enemy. Consuias walked amongst the soldiers at the camp, ignoring the chilly wind from the north, like all others, he only wanted the weather to be warmer, but in Dacia, it was always cold during winter.

Consuias was an infantry commander in the service of Byzas, crown prince of Thrace. Thrace was cold as well during winter, so Dacia made no difference for Consuias.

‘Will this winter ever end?’ Consuias asked himself, knowing the answer will be no. Winter would be around still for another 3 to 4 months.

‘Still, could be worse,’ he thought, ‘we could’ve been in Scythia.’ He then heard someone shout out his name.

‘Commander Consuias! Commander Consuias!’ shouted a soldier.

Consuias turned around to look at the man. ‘Yes, what is it soldier?’ he asked.

‘General Byzas wishes to see you in his tent’, replied the soldier

‘Alright then, but what does we want to talk to me about?’

‘Don’t know, he didn’t say.’

‘Ok then, go to the refreshments tent and get something to eat and drink’

The soldier nodded, as a gesture of thank you, and left.

‘Wonder why he needs to see me?’ thought Consuias as he headed towards the commanders tent.

Byzas turned away from the stranger and got himself a cup of wine, he then turned back to look at the stranger and decided to offer hum a cup of wine, which he declined. Byzas looked at him again then turned back to think about the information the stranger had told him.

‘So, those reinforcements are going to take a while to get here, better explain this to the other commanders,’ thought Byzas.

A high-ranking commander then entered the tent and helped himself to some wine. Byzas turned to look at him.

‘Good to see you made it, Symarus’, said Byzas to the commander.

Symarus was a cavalry commander and he usually rode with the militia cavalry.

‘Nice to see you haven’t lost your touch, Byzas’, said Symarus. He then turned to look at the stranger just as he was sipping wine from his cup.

‘Who is this man?’ asked Symarus.

‘That will be explained when Consuias comes’, replied Byzas.

The stranger appeared to be cloaked in wolf skin and some leather to keep him warm. Just then, Consuias entered the tent.

‘Greetings,’ greeted Byzas and Symarus.

‘Greetings to you too,’ responded Consuias, he then looked at some wine,'May I?’

Byzas responded with a nod. Symarus looked at the stranger then at Byzas.

‘Who is this man?’ he asked again.

Byzas turned to look at Symarus.

‘He is a messenger, from my nephew, Ziles,’ Byzas replied.

‘So is this why you’ve summoned us to your tent?’ asked Symarus, ‘Is Ziles in command of reinforcements?’

‘Yes he is.’

Consuias then looked at the messenger, then he noticed he was shivering.

‘He must have rode a couple of days just to reach us,’ said Consuias.

Byzas nodded his head. Symarus then looked at the messenger, then back towards Byzas.

‘What did he say general?’ Symarus asked.

‘The messenger said that Ziles is getting his army of new recruits towards our camp, and he should be here around about 1 to 2 weeks,’ replied Byzas.

There was a sudden silence in the tent; it was so silent that the wind could be heard outside. Consuias then plucked up the courage to say something.

‘Seriously, 1 to 2 weeks?!’ he asked with a shocked tone.

The messenger nodded his head.

‘He said he may run into some brigands along the way,' said the messenger, ‘also he is picking up more men from the capital when he gets there, unless he is already there.’

Byzas, Consuias and Symarus looked at each other.

‘Well, he may get here a little late,’ pointed out Symarus.

‘Very well then,’ said Byzas, ‘send scouts out towards the west and north when this weather calms down, we need to know if the Dacians are approaching.'

Symarus nodded and left the tent. Byzas then turned to Consuias.

‘Tell a swift rider to ride to Campus Getae,’ said Byzas, ‘we need extra supplies and some more soldiers, we may need them before Ziles gets here.’

Consuias nodded and left the tent. Byzas then turned to look at the messenger, who was sleeping. He then turned back at the map of Thrace and the surrounding lands.

‘Well,’ sighed Byzas, ‘Lets hope the Dacians don’t make a counter attack. Gods, if you’re watching us now, we will need all the help we can get.’

He then looked outside the tent and sighed again, he could only hope that reinforcements from his brother and nephew could get to his camp quickly.

"Its my duty, my duty as a complete and utter !@#$%^&*!" -Rimmer
“All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -Gandalf
"Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition!"
"The die is cast." -Gaius Julius Caesar

[This message has been edited by Bluebottlejr (edited 03-22-2014 @ 07:49 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 03-21-14 01:11 PM EDT (US)     1 / 27       
Hail!

Nice intro.

I touched up the formatting a bit for you to make it easier on the eyes. Double-spaced between paragraphs mostly.

A few nits:

‘Good to see you could’ve made it Symarus’, said Byzas to the commander.
The fact that Symarus was at the command tent denotes that he did indeed make it to the meeting. You do not need the could've there. Alsao, a comma was missing. This line should read:
‘Good to see you made it, Symarus’, said Byzas to the commander.

There was another missing comma in another place, but I leave that to you to find.

Overall a nice start and I will be looking forward to reading more of this.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 03-21-2014 @ 01:12 PM).]

Bluebottlejr
Ashigaru
posted 03-21-14 06:20 PM EDT (US)     2 / 27       
Ave!

Thanks for pointing out some errors, they are all fixed up now.

Chapter 2 will be ready in about a day or two.

EDIT: I finished chapter 2 sooner than I thought, so here it is (FYI, it might be a bit long), chapter 2 of 'Birth of a Thracian Empire'

Chapter 2: The Long March

Ziles sat straight in his saddle as his army marched on the road to Dacia’s southern boarder. The plan was for Ziles to recruit an army at Byzantium and Tylis, and then march toward Byzas’s camp.

It didn’t turn out like that.

Instead, a large brigand army blocked their path near Byzantium, costing around 100 lives of Zile’s army, when he arrived at Tylis there wasn’t much men to take with him, since most of them were at the new fort near the Macedonian boarder, then his supplies began to run low, so he had to buy some more food, water, wine and more from nearby towns and villages.

The mercenaries were also a pain. They insisted to be paid the exact amount of money once every 4 days, until Ziles said that he would only pay them before going into battle.

Ziles turned around towards the sun in the east. ‘What a lovely sight,’ he thought.

Then, a man rode up to him, Ziles recognised him as one of the scouts that was sent ahead.

‘Hail Ziles, we have scouted the road ahead as you requested,’ said the scout. ‘We have found a small brigand force up ahead.’

Some of the men looked at each other with excitement in their faces.

Ziles turned to look at the soldiers and noticed that they looked excited.

‘Great, now I have to put up with bloodthirsty men as well’, thought Ziles.

He then turned to look at the scout. ‘How many brigands are there?’ he asked.

‘About 250 of them, general’, answered the scout.

‘Very well then,’ said Ziles, he turned to look at the men.

‘Men! As you are aware, there is a small brigand army up ahead, lets go and bring death to them!!’ shouted Ziles

The men cheered with excitement and began to march quickly on the road.

‘Men! Did I say that we can continue marching?’ he asked with a stern voice.
The soldiers’ stop and turn around, it is clear to them that they had angered their general, and he was known for his anger.

‘Well, did I?’ he asked again, this time with a touch of anger in his voice.

One of the men looks up at Ziles, and finds the courage to speak.

‘No, general,’ he answers.

Ziles then smiles. ‘Alright then, lets march towards the enemy and bring them a swift death’, he said.

The men then realised that he wasn’t going to unleash is anger against them, they were lucky, this time.

Ziles continued to ride his horse slowly and began to think. ‘These men are more bloodthirsty than I first imagined,’ thought Ziles. ‘These soldiers could make a dangerous opponent to all that fight them.’

After 30 minutes of marching Ziles and his army could see the brigands.

‘General! The brigand army is in site!’ shouted a soldier.

‘Good. Militia Hoplites at the front, Thracian mercenaries deploy next to the Militia Hoplite’s side, peltasts and mercenary peltasts deploy behind their lines, Militia Cavalry deploy at the sides and get prepared to ride ahead and harass the enemy’s lines!’ barked Ziles.

The men quickly got into their positions and Ziles ordered the Militia Cavalry to ride ahead and get behind the brigand’s lines.

Then he ordered the mercenary’s pay money to be given to them, after that he ordered his men forward. The brigands didn’t move to engage the Militia Cavalry or the Thracians front line.

Along with the main line was a young man called Amatros, he was a Militia Hoplite that was conscripted to join Ziles’s Army.

‘Lets hope that this is over soon,’ thought Amatros.

Then, Ziles ordered the Peltasts and Mercenary Peltasts to move in front of the main line and bombard the brigands with throwing spears. Amatros then stoped with the entire battle line and watched the Peltasts bombard the enemy leaving many dead.

Then the Peltasts ran out of throwing spears, so Ziles ordered his battle line to engage the enemy’s battle line. The two lines clashed!

Ziles and his cavalry body guard rode behind the brigand lines, and with the Militia Cavalry, charged in the rear of the brigands, killing at 100 or more and sending the survivors fleeing.

Ziles slashed at a brigand soldier, killing him, then he looked up and saw the enemy commander running away.

‘Charge him!’ commanded Ziles to his cavalry.

They charged, and killed the enemy commander on impact. With the battle over, it was time to count the dead.

Ziles dismounted and walked amongst the dead bodies, looking for any wounded, then a few soldiers walked up to him, with some prisoners.

‘Did you capture them?’ asked Ziles.

‘Yes,’ answered one of the soldiers. ‘What should we do with them?’

‘Let them go free, let’s hope that they don’t rebel again,’ answered Ziles.

The soldiers then walked away, setting the prisoners free. Ziles then looked at the bodies around him.

‘So much death,’ he thought.

Then he saw a body move. “Perhaps this man is only wounded, I should help him,’

Ziles walked up to the body and help him to his feet. He then took a look at him and realised that he was only a young man, just around 17 years old.

‘Can you hear me?’ Ziles asked.

The young man looked up at Ziles. ‘Am I dead?’ he asked

“No, your only wounded, looks like a blow to the head.’

The young man sat on the ground and groaned. ‘By the gods, I’m thirsty,’ he said.

‘Here, this is a small pouch of water, drink it,’ said Ziles as he offered some water.

The young man took the water and drank it. ‘Thank you.’

‘That’s ok. What is your name, soldier?’

“My name is Amatros, son of Consuias.’

Ziles looked at Amatros. ‘Your young for a soldier aren’t you?’

‘Yes, but I was conscripted.’

Ziles found pity for Amatros. ‘I think you should go back home.’

‘No, I don’t want to go home just yet, besides, there isn’t anyone waiting for me back home.’

‘Alright then, but take care and try not to get yourself killed.’

Amatros then stood up and walked away towards the medical tent. Just as he began to walk he turned back towards Ziles.

‘I’ll try not to get killed,’ said Amatros.

Ziles then took reports from his other soldiers, around 60 to 90 of Ziles’s men were dead and 238 of the brigands were killed.

Ziles sighed as he saw his dead men being burned so their ashes can go home to their loved ones.

‘Lets hope we don’t run into more trouble along the way,’ thought Ziles. ‘This burning will take the rest of the day, and maybe even the night.’

He then looked towards the north, and hoped that we wont be to late to help his uncle.

[This message has been edited by Bluebottlejr (edited 03-22-2014 @ 01:35 AM).]

Lucius Julius
Ashigaru
posted 03-24-14 01:32 AM EDT (US)     3 / 27       
A very interesting story indeed, I like the bit when Amatros is the son Consuias, very interesting. Will they see each other again?

Overall, a great story. Hope to see more of this soon.

Dulce Et Decorum Est Pro Matria Mori - It is sweet and meet to die for one's country.

We all die in the end, it only matters when and how - Me

Roma Invicta!
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 03-24-14 04:28 AM EDT (US)     4 / 27       
Nice read, but it could be better. You introduced some depth of story with Amatros, and used that to show another side of Ziles, but far too little. There is a lot of dialog, but you seem to gloss over the preparation and details in a hurried crush to get to the action. This is not wrong, mind you, but could be used more efficiently to give your story the depth and multifacets you seem to want.

The formatting this time was much easier on my eyes. Thanks you!

Overall a good effort. Please continue.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Bluebottlejr
Ashigaru
posted 03-24-14 04:58 AM EDT (US)     5 / 27       
Thanks for all your replies, this is my first story, so its going to be a bit crap, sorry about it.

I hope chapter 3 will be a bit better, I hope.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 03-24-14 06:50 AM EDT (US)     6 / 27       
I don't think this is crap. I do think it is a good tale for a first story, and there is room for improvement. That is why I dispense tips and ideas so readily- to help you mold this into a really wonderful tale.

I don't comment on crap. I do comment on things that have potential.

Bluebottlejr
Ashigaru
posted 03-25-14 00:40 AM EDT (US)     7 / 27       
Well thank you. I understand you are helping and I am ready to listen to wisdom.

Chapter 3 will be ready in a few days, if only I can get past my homework.

Lucius Julius
Ashigaru
posted 03-25-14 06:06 AM EDT (US)     8 / 27       
Well, good luck with reality, homework is a bummer.

Hope you get chapter 3 finished soon.

Dulce Et Decorum Est Pro Matria Mori - It is sweet and meet to die for one's country.

Roma Invicta!
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 03-25-14 06:47 AM EDT (US)     9 / 27       
Please remember: real life schoolwork trumps virtual world conquest every time.

Your grades are more important than our enjoyment. Your grades stay with you for a lifetime, our enjoyment is like a butterfly in the wind- whimsy and currents are constantly in flux. Be smart. Stick with the education that will give you a better shot at life.

Bluebottlejr
Ashigaru
posted 03-27-14 03:42 AM EDT (US)     10 / 27       
Finally finished homework (YAY) and have also finished chapter 3. It may be a bit short but enjoy!

Chapter 3: The Clouds Burst

Byzas looked at the map and sighed again. ‘1 to 2 weeks, they’ll never get here in time to help lay siege to Porrolissium’ he thought.

The weather had died down, so Symarus sent the scouts outside the camp to look around. Consuias then sent a messenger towards Campus Getae, so they would get extra supplies and soldiers.

Byzas kept looking at the map, thinking about what he might do. Should he send a raiding party to pillage a few villages, or maybe something else?

Just as he was still thinking, Consuias entered the tent.

‘Hail Byzas!’ greeted Consuias

Byzas looked up to see Consuias greeting him.

‘Hail Consuias!’ he greeted back.

Consuias looked at the map and saw Byzas mumbling to himself. ‘What’s going on here, he’s mumbling to himself,’ thought Consuias.

‘What are you mumbling about, general?’ asked Consuias.

Byzas looked back at Consuias. “I’m thinking about what we are going to do about Dacia while we wait for reinforcements,’ he answered.

Then Symarus entered the tent and looked at Byzas. ‘The scouts have returned, with news,’ said Symarus.

Byzas looked at Symarus. ‘What’s the news?’ he asked.

‘Its not good, there’s a Dacian army heading towards Porrolissum, they will be there in about 4 days,’ answered Symarus. ‘If they get there before we attack the settlement’s garrison will have been reinforced.’

Byzas looked down at the map again, sighing. ‘Dam it!’ he thought. He then looked back to Consuias and Symarus.

‘I’ve thought about it, and it may seem ridicules, but I think…’ he began to say, but then stopped.

‘But what, General Byzas, but what?’ asked Consuias.

‘I think, we should attack Porrolissum now,’ finished Byzas.

Symarus looked at Byzas with a shocked look on his face. ‘What, we attack them now?’ he asked with a shocked tone in his voice.

‘It may seem mad, but we can’t wait for those reinforcements now,’ answered Byzas. ‘We must strike now!’

Consuias looked at Byzas, looking to see if he was serious. ‘He looks serious to me,’ he thought.

‘Well, if you will take my advice, we can’t leave the camp abandoned if we do leave,’ said Symarus.

‘Your right, I think we should leave some soldiers behind to defend the camp. Symarus, you can defend the camp with them,’ said Byzas.

‘Why me?’

‘Because you’re good at defending, it makes sense if you understand it.’

Symarus then thought for a few seconds. ‘Well, you’re not wrong. I’ll stay at the camp. May the gods help you in the coming battle.’

Byzas nodded and left the tent, Consuias then looked at Symarus. ‘May the gods watch over you,’ he said.

Symarus bowed and left the tent to get some men together to defend the camp. Consuias then stared outside the tent and sighed.

‘Well, time to help Byzas get the men together,’ he thought. ‘Hope Porrolissum will easily fall.’

Consuias then walked outside the tent to see how Byzas was coping, he arrived to see Byzas was getting ready for a sacrifice.

‘We better make a sacrifice to Ares before we go to Porrolissum,’ said Byzas.

Consuias nodded his head and ordered one of the soldiers to get a goat to sacrifice, then they went to the alter.

The soldier arrived with the goat and struggled to get the goat to keep still. The priest then walked up with a knife and slit the goat’s throat, letting gallons of blood to stain the alter, then the priest cut open the dead goat’s stomach and let the gut of the deceased animal to fall in a silver bowl.

‘Well, what will be the outcome?’ Byzas asked the priest.

‘The priest looked at the entrails for a sign, then he found one. ‘The gods will grant you victory against the enemy,’ he said.

The men cheered with excitement, for the prospect of defeating the Dacians at their capital was to become a reality.

‘Men!’ shouted Byzas, ‘Today we go to battle against the Dacians! Those men are nothing but cowards, they are fools who are being led by yowling infants!’

The men cheered as Byzas shouted his morale speech to his soldiers, giving them a morale boost and a thirst for blood.

Consuias smiled as Byzas shouted his speech. ‘Well those men are definitely wanting to go into battle first,’ he thought.

Symarus then walked up to Consuias. ‘Byzas is giving his bloodlust speech to the soldiers again,’ he said.

‘I know, it amuses me to watch, their bloodlust growing into something more… ferocious.’

‘The more bloodthirsty they get, the more better they should do in battle.’

‘Maybe, maybe not. But what happens if they become to bloodthirsty, what will happen then?

Symarus then looked at Consuias. ‘We can only hope that they don’t turn into savages.’

Byzas then ended his speech with a roaring voice. ‘To victory! To victory and glory!!!’ he roared.

‘To battle! To battle and victory!!’ the men shouted.

Byzas then ordered the men to get ready to move out, those that were staying were immediately ordered to guard the camp at the defensive towers and palisade wall.

Byzas walked towards Consuias and Symarus with a smile on his face. ‘The men will fight better, hopefully,’ said Byzas. ‘They will want to spill Dacian blood soon.’

Byzas then ordered the men to move out and head for Porrolissum, to engage the garrison there, Consuias smiled with the look of fire in his eyes.

‘So, what will happen when we reach our destination?’ he thought, ‘What will happen when we do battle against them, will our army of militia, mercenaries and light cavalry give us victory?’

He then looked at the setting sun in the west, the same direction they were heading. Consuias then thought of something, something which brought his heart closer to home.

‘I wonder how Amatros is copping with life in Byzantium with my brother, surely he can’t be in much trouble?’

[This message has been edited by Bluebottlejr (edited 03-27-2014 @ 03:44 AM).]

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 03-27-14 08:48 AM EDT (US)     11 / 27       
Good installment.

I liked the bit about the wise-ass looking serious. Gave me a chuckle. well done.

Bluebottlejr
Ashigaru
posted 03-28-14 02:47 AM EDT (US)     12 / 27       
Thanks for the complement, glad it gave you a chuckle.

Just started chapter 4, hope it will be as good as chapter 3.

Lucius Julius
Ashigaru
posted 03-29-14 06:09 PM EDT (US)     13 / 27       
Is chapter 4 coming soon? Wouldn't like to miss it.

So far, a good story. Continue.

Roma Invicta!
DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 04-01-14 10:47 PM EDT (US)     14 / 27       
A wonderful tale Bluebottlejr! I look forward to reading more of your work in the days and weeks to come

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"It is not numbers, but vision that wins wars." - Antiochus VII Sidetes
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Cherub of Total War: Rome II Heaven and the Total War: Attila Forums
Bluebottlejr
Ashigaru
posted 04-02-14 07:05 AM EDT (US)     15 / 27       
Thanks for all your support, I appreciate feedback, it helps me to add stuff into my tale.

Chapter 4 is almost ready, it will be posted tomorrow or the day after that.

Bluebottlejr
Ashigaru
posted 04-07-14 03:53 AM EDT (US)     16 / 27       
Sorry if this is double posting, but I got Chapter 4 finished.

Chapter 4: The Battle of the Fort

The men walked on the muddy ground as rain pored down from the sky, the light of the day had gone and night had risen. Byzas could hear his mean yawning as they continued to march to Porrolissum.

‘By the gods, why did it have to rain now?’ he thought.

He turned his head around to look at his soldiers, he saw many of them tired, many others looked grim and others he could not tell.

He looked back at the road and continued to ride on his horse slowly. A Militia Cavalry man then rode up towards him.

‘Hail Byzas! The scouts have returned,’ greeted the soldier.

‘What have they got to report?’ asked Byzas.

‘The Dacian reinforcements have not arrived at Porrolissum; also one of the spies has arrived to speak with you.’

‘Let him come forward then.’

Then, a hooded man came forward and looked up at Byzas. ‘Hail!’ he greeted.

‘Tell me, what have you got to report?’

‘The garrison is poorly armed, they only have a few spear war bands, but they do have 2 generals of royal Dacian blood there.’

Byzas then thought of something. ‘If we kill the Dacian family members there, their royal blood line will crumble easily, we only have to strike soon.’

The spy nodded his head, agreeing with what Byzas said. ‘But the Dacian king is not there; instead the garrison is led by his younger brother, Duras.’

‘So where is the Dacian king?’

In Campus Lazyges, with a large army at his disposal, some of them were reinforcements for Porrolissum, but they haven’t turned up. As far as I can tell, they are fighting rebellious slaves in the north.’

Byzas then grinned with temptation. ‘We must head on towards Porrolissum.’ He then turned his head towards the spy. ‘You must go back and try to sabotage the defences, bribe guards, make sure the main gate is open when we assault.’

The spy bowed and got on a horse and rode towards the Dacian settlement. Byzas then turned towards Consuias, who was walking next to him.

‘We will have to make a camp soon, otherwise the soldier’s morale will plummet like a bird that was struck by lightning,’ he explained.

Consuias nodded his head and turned his head to look and address the men.

‘Men, we are going to encamp around here soon, as soon as we can find a suitable site.’

Consuias then heard the men talk and murmur to each other, but Consuias didn’t mind, he knew what they were talking about.

Around 10 minutes later the army found a suitable site which to make a fort on, they then started to build a palisade wall around the encampment, and then the tents were set up.

Consuias ordered some men to go on watch and look out for any Dacians. While that happened, he then headed towards Byzas’s tent to plan the next day. He walked in to find Byzas already planing.

‘Busy planing already are you, General?’ Consuias asked.

Byzas looked at Consuias. ‘Yes, I am. Its good to be prepared before your enemy is,’ answered Byzas.

Consuias nodded his head in agreement and then looked at the map, which Byzas was also looking at.

‘I can see why you chose this area for our fort, it has some steep hills around it, also it’s not far from Porrolissum,’ Consuias said.

Byzas nodded his head in agreement. ‘We will rest tonight, but we must wake up early, the Dacians will never expect it.’

‘Well, you’re not wrong about that. Good night General, see you in the morning.’

Consuias then walked out of the tent and walked towards his tent. Byzas then yawned and decided to go to bed.

Around 4 hours after Byzas went to sleep, the Captain of the Guard woke him up.

‘…. Sir, wake up. General!’

Byzas then yawned, rubbed his eyes and looked up at the Captain of the Guard, whose name was Brinkanzos. Byzas then recognised him as one of the veterans of the Tribal Wars, the war that brought Thrace together as a united kingdom.

‘Yes, what is it?’ asked Byzas.

A few scouts were sent out to investigate any enemy movements and they have a report,’ answered the veteran.

‘So why wake me up? Do I have to receive the report now? Why doesn’t one of the captains, like Consuias, receive it?’

‘Because it is important that you read it, it’s very … drastic.’

‘Oh. Then in that case I’d better get some descent clothes on.’

‘Yes sir, you should.’

After Byzas put on some royal looking clothes, he entered the main part of the tent to see the scouts ready for him.

‘Hail Byzas! We have come to report on…’ started the scout in front of the others, but he was interrupted by Byzas.

‘Just tell me the report because I’ve got to get some sleep.’

The scout looked surprised, but then took a closer look at Byzas’s face. It seemed that he was indeed tired, like he overworked himself too much.

‘Very well then sir, we have found a Dacian army near our encampment, they seem to be spying on our movements.’

Byzas cursed through his closed teeth. ‘Curse the Dacians! Rout them out make sure none survive!’

The scouts bowed and left the tent, and then Brinkanzos walked up to him.

‘I think you should go outside and lead them,’ he suggested.

‘That’s a good idea, suppose I should.’

Byzas then left towards his part of the tent and got his armour on with the help of his slaves. After that, he returned to the main part of the tent.

‘Well then, lets get the Dacian bastards,’ Byzas said to Brinkanzos.

‘Agreed, General.’

The two men walked out of the tent to see the soldiers getting ready for battle, Consuias was among them, trying to get them into formation. Byzas and Brinkanzos walked up to him.

‘I see your getting the men ready for combat,’ said Byzas.

Consuias nodded his head. ‘They await only your command.

Byzas walked to the front of the army and spoke. ‘Men, we do not fear these Dacians, for we fear nothing!’ he began, the men cheered as their leader roared on. ‘Let us ease the Dacian’s worries; let us kill them before they kill us! And remember this, they are more scared of you than you are scared of them!!!’

The men roared with excitement and bellowed for battle. Byzas ordered the gates of the fort to be opened, and then the army marched out.

The Dacians were already waiting for them as the Thracian army came out of the fort. Consuias ordered the men to form a straight line, but the Dacians marched forward to engage their opponents.

Byzas ordered the peltasts to get behind the militia hoplites, then ordered the falxmen to go around the rear with the militia cavalry.

The Dacians started to cry out their war cries, but they were cut short when the Thracians charged forward.

Consuias ordered his line to charge at the Dacian frontline, and then he found himself in the thick of it. He saw a man next to him be stabbed by a muscular looking Dacian warrior. ‘Whoa, he’s a big one.’ But he got behind the man and stabbed his sword into his head, making his eyes pop out and blood rushing out of his mouth, nose and eye sockets.

He turned around and slashed his sword at another Dacian next to him, slicing his throat but not taking his head off, as he hope it would. The Dacian fell to the ground and Consuias was on him, stabbing his sword into his stomach, then he died and Consuias was slicing and hacking again.

Byzas ordered his cavalry to ride around the enemy lines to open fire at their exposed rear, the trick worked, many Dacians fell to the thrown javelins of the Militia Cavalry.

Consuias hacked at an enemy warrior and killed him with one blow to the head, but then felt a jab of pain in his left side; he turned and looked down to see a spear in him. ‘Great, just what I need, a spear lodged in my left side!’

He tried not to think about pain and pull the spear out, but he was only half successful, only half of the spear came out and the tip if it with a small bit of the shaft was still in him. ‘Never mind now, got to finish this battle.’ He ran towards the enemy, only to fall on his knees and groan.

What he saw at that moment was Byzas attacking the Dacians behind them, sending many to flee, then he saw the Thracians strike with more courage.

Consuias then realised that victory was theirs, then he saw darkness and blacked out.

[This message has been edited by Bluebottlejr (edited 04-08-2014 @ 04:10 AM).]

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 04-07-14 10:28 AM EDT (US)     17 / 27       
Nicely done!

A few nits:

the soldier’s morale will plumate like a bird that was struck
the soldier’s morale will plummet like a bird that was struck

but not taking his head of,
but not taking his head off,

many Dacians fell to the throwing javelins
many Dacians fell to the thrown javelins
All javelins are for throwing.

The action was bloody and descriptive as it should be, and the ending a nice cliff-hanger- did Consie die, or will the medicos and surgeons save him?

Bluebottlejr
Ashigaru
posted 04-08-14 04:15 AM EDT (US)     18 / 27       
Thanks for pointing it out, I did this in a rush last night.

As for Consuias, I don't know, I just thought of it as I was finishing it, but we'll see.

Spoiler for chapter 5, it doesn't follow from chapter 4, it goes around the time that the battle was taking place, but is goes with not Pytros or Ziles but another person who is not a Thracian.

Bluebottlejr
Ashigaru
posted 04-17-14 08:49 PM EDT (US)     19 / 27       
Chapter 5: The Storm of the East

Spartocus watched the birds chirp and fly with the southern wind and breathed in, smelling the spice scent from the kitchen. He then felt hungry and heard his stomach growl.

‘Time to feast,’ he thought.

He turned towards the door and saw his wife, Antanis, watching him. Spartocus grinned.

‘Nice to see you, Anty.’

‘I told you not to call me that, cheeky.’

Spartocus smiled and put his arm around her.

‘I’m going to the feast, do you wish to join me and my father?’

‘Yes, I shall.’

‘Good, then lets get going.’

Spartocus and Antanis walked towards the feasting hall and saw his father, King Pharnecares, siting on his throne at the head of the feasting table.

‘Hail! Good to see you little brother,’ greeted Pharnecares.

‘Hail!’ greeted Spartocus while he and Antanis were bowing.

Pharnecares smiled and showed them their seats. For the next 2 hours people came to the feast and were seated, awaiting the food and wine.

When the last of the guests arrived the food and wine was placed in front on the table.

At the feast were some of the royal family, Pharnecares, his wife Pythodonis, Spartocus, Antanis and Pharnecares daughter, Domyscois and her husband, Surdomcais. The other guests were some nobles and an Armenian diplomat.

During the 3rd hour of the feast, King Pharnecares entered diplomatic talks with the Armenian.

‘I agree with a ceasefire and trade rights, but we want your king to pay a large sum of money to us! We have lost many men in this pointless war,’ stated Pharnecares.

‘Armenia is not a rich land like Pontus, we don’t get the income we should be getting,’ stated the diplomat. ‘Why do you think we declared war on you.’

‘But we want the money, we are low on gold as it is and I have many soldiers who want their pay, so our income is low as well.’

‘We can’t pay the sum, so I must cast it aside.’

Pharnecares sighed and held his head while he shook his head.

‘Well, if a immediate sum wont do, then I must demand a tribute.’

‘How much?’

‘2500 gold, once every 4 months.’

‘I suppose that could be agreeable, but don’t be surprised if we can’t get the exact amount every time.’

‘Understood. But if that goes on for some time then I shall take action.’

‘Alright then, we can do that. I shall have to send a messenger to my king to see if he agrees to this.’

‘Understood.’

The Armenian diplomat stood up and left the hall, Spartocus watched him leave, then he turned towards the king.

‘Are you sure we can trust them?’ asked Spartocus.

‘We could, but we’ll have to keep an eye on that diplomat,’ answered Pharnecares.

Spartocus nodded his head and continued to eat his spiced chicken.
Pharnecares then began to talk about military reports. One of his commanders from Nicomedia began to make his report.

‘We have seen Thracian ships at our borders at sea, also a few Macedonian ships have also been spotted near Nicomedia,’ reported the commander.

‘Is this a bad thing? They could be just be patrolling the sea,’ he began. ‘But then, they could be patrolling a particular area of the sea so the Macedonian king could prepare an invasion.’

‘True, your majesty. If I may suggest, I would get Nicomedia garrisoned with more recruits.’

Pharnecares nodded his head in agreement.

‘I will take this to the council immediately after the feast is over,’ he said. The commander bowed and left the room to get the council ready.

1 hour later, the feast was over and Pharnecares, Spartocus and Surdomcais walked towards the council chamber. They entered the room to see all the other members seated and ready to talk.

‘Hail, King of the Pontic Empire!’ hailed the council members.

‘I’m not king of an empire, not yet.’

‘No, but you have conquered Bithynia and Galatia, that means we have a small empire.’

Pharnecares smiled and nodded his head, then he sat down on his royal chair at the head of the council. Spartocus and Surdomcais also sat down next to Pharnecares, Spartocus on his left and Surdomcais on his right.

The meeting went underway with the talk about the Macedonians.

‘The Macedonians have been sited at our borders, we should send a diplomat to their capital so we can settle this problem,’ stated a member called Arason.

‘I think we should send our fleet to their position and intimidate them to flee,’ stated another member called Lencases.

‘I agree with Arason, if we send our fleet to the Macedonians position they could attack and this will mean war. We can’t afford war when we are still negotiating with Armenia,’ said one of the members called Mithrakes.

‘Well I agree with Lencases. We must show Macedon that we are not weak, we must show them our strength!’ shouted a member called Gentarus.

It was then that members began to shout at each other, choosing sides and arguing over who was right.
Pharnecares tried to calm the members down, but to no avail, it was then that Surdomcais stood up and yelled at the top of his voice.

‘QUIET!!!’ he yelled.

The members stoped arguing and turned around to look at Surdomcais, even the king and Spartocus looked at him.

‘Stop arguing, this is a council, not a child’s room! Act like noblemen and not like petty idiots!’

Pharnecares smiled and clapped his hands slowly.

‘You have a natural talent with this.’

Surdomcais nodded his head, but remained silent as he sat down.

Arason looked at the king. ‘What do you think, sire? Which sounds more proper?’

‘Well, we can’t afford a war with Macedon and it is better to settle things diplomatically, so I’ll go with your idea, Arson.’

Members began to murmur, but one look at Surdomcais and they stayed quiet.

‘Besides, I have plans. Plans of invasion,’ Pharnecares said.

‘What invasion plan?’ asked Gentarus.

‘We shall sail an army across the Black Sea and declare war on Thrace!’

Everybody looked at each other with confused faces, even Spartocus and Surdomcais looked confused,

‘But why do we need to declare war on Thrace?’ asked Mithrakes. ‘What has Thrace ever done to us?’

‘Thrace holds Byzantium, a strategic settlement that is rich with gold, silver and more,’ answered the king. ‘If we take Thrace our treasuries will be filled with riches.’

Many council members agreed that taking Byzantium is important to keep their economy going. But not all agreed, and one of them was Surdomcais.

‘If we want riches we should declare war on the Seleucid Empire, their empire is filled with gold and silver,’ Surdomcais pointed out.

‘But if we capture Byzantium we could control the pass into the Black Sea.’

‘Sir, you may go after Byzantium if you wish but I think it’s wiser to go after the Seleucids.’

Spartocus then entered their argument. ‘Lets put it to a vote, this is a council after all.’

Pharnecares and Surdomcais nodded their heads and called for a vote, many members voted for war against Thrace and for a tax rise to get more money for the army.

The council was then dismissed, with that done the king, his son-in-law and the king’s brother left to the king’s chamber.

Upon arrival, Pharnecares ordered a slave to go get some wine for him and the other two. Spartocus looked out of the open window and stared at the horizon, the sun was setting.

‘A setting sun is a beautiful site to see,’ he thought.

He then heard Pharnecares call his name. ‘Yes brother?’ he asked.

‘The wine has arrived,’ Pharnecares answered.

The three men took the wine and began to drink. Pharnecares then looked at Spartocus.

‘Little brother, I want you to lead the expedition to Byzantium.’

There was a stunned silence in the room, which was only broken by a bird chirping outside. Spartocus looked stunned.

‘You…you want me to lead this expedition?’

‘Yes. You are a good general and the troops know you very well, so I decided to give you the glory of victory and honor.’

‘What happens if he fails though? What will happen then?’ Surdomcais asked Pharnecares.

Pharnecares turned to look at Surdomcais. ‘He wont fail. Our spies have been feeding us important information, the Thracians are fighting the Dacians in their homeland and most of their force is there. As far as we can tell all their best generals are there as well, including the Thracian prince, Byzas, and two of his captains.’

‘How long till we can go to war?’ asked Spartocus.

‘Well, we need more men, more money and a better fleet, so, around about a year.’

‘Well ok then.’

‘Good to hear that you want to go soon.’

Spartocus nodded his head and saw Surdomcais shake his head. Spartocus then started to think.

‘I’ll take Byzantium, then I’ll take all of Thrace for Pontus and the king! Gods be with me’

[This message has been edited by Bluebottlejr (edited 04-17-2014 @ 08:55 PM).]

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 04-18-14 04:32 AM EDT (US)     20 / 27       
Nice write-up. It is interesting to see the prtrayal and reasoning behind some of the AI's more illogical decisions- you made it actually look like it had valid reasons. Well done!

Bluebottlejr
Ashigaru
posted 04-19-14 00:15 AM EDT (US)     21 / 27       
Thank you for your comments. I thought thought that the AI were very stupid and did illogical stuff, so I made a background story for it so it makes sense.

Chapter 6 coming soon.

Scipii
TWH Seraph
posted 04-22-14 10:21 AM EDT (US)     22 / 27       
Ah the AI, playing as if it exists in a different plane of reality to us all. Great stuff, keep it up.
Bluebottlejr
Ashigaru
posted 04-23-14 09:29 PM EDT (US)     23 / 27       
Thank you for all your comments and as promised, chapter 6 is ready for reading!

Chapter 6: The Siege of Porrolissum

Byzas, Brinkanzos, a surgeon called Pallucius and two guards called Mankanuis and Ollopikan surrounded the slow breathing body of Consuias, who was still unconscious.

‘How long till he wakes up?’ Byzas asked Pallucius.

‘He should be awake in about 2 to 3 hours, or perhaps even longer,’ he answered.

Byzas continued to look at the unconscious Consuias.

‘Did he have to charge into that horde with spears? By the gods, let him live.’

‘So what now? Do we wait for him to awake or do we go straight for Porrolissum? If it’s the latter, do we need more men?’ asked Ollopikan.

Brinkanzos turned his head to look at Ollopikan. ‘I do not know, but I cannot answer your questions pacifically, Byzas can though.’

Ollopikan looked at Byzas with the question in his face.

‘I’m not sure, but I suppose that we should stay here and heal our wounded,’ Byzas replied.

Just then, a guard from outside the tent came in and addressed Byzas.

‘Sir, your spy from Porrolissum has arrived,’ the guard said.

‘Let him in,’ replied Byzas.

The spy, called Getrakes, entered the tent and bowed in front of Byzas.

‘Greetings, general,’ greeted Getrakes. ‘I bring news that may interest you.’

‘Tell me then.’

‘This fort was attacked by the Dacian reinforcement army, led by Scyles, second brother of the Dacian king.’

‘So that’s who the Dacian leader was, damn him!’

‘Why is that, sir?’

Byzas’ face started to turn red with anger.

‘He killed several good men and he threw a spear into Consuias!’

Getrakes remained silent as Byzas raged with anger, but Brinkanzos calmed him down.

‘Calm down, Byzas,’ Brinkanzos said. ‘You must keep calm.’

Byzas then sat on a chair and began to think.

‘Its time, time for vengeance, death and victory. Its time to attack Porrolissum!’

‘What are you thinking, general?’ asked Mankanuis.

Byzas stood up and began to walk outside to the tent. He then stoped halfway out of the tent and turned his head towards the others.

‘We’re moving out in around 2 to 3 hours. Get those men who are still able to fight and make sure they’re training for battle,’ he ordered.

Brinkanzos nodded his head and walked with Byzas outside the tent. While walking, Byzas and Brinkanzos talked.

‘We must get ready for battle soon, if we leave earlier, then we might be able to take Porrolissum quicker,’ stated Byzas.

Brinkanzos nodded his head in agreement.

‘Agreed. If we train the men for only an hour and a half, we can still make it to Porrolissum before sunset.’

‘Alright then, its agreed. We train the men for an hour and a half, then we marched to Porrolissum,’ said Byzas. ‘But should we take the wounded with us?’

Brinkanzos stoped walking and thought of a reply.

‘Well, to be honest, no,’ Brinkanzos answered. ‘If we take them with us it will only slow us down. I suggest we send a messenger to Symarus and tell him to abandon his fort and join up with this fort immediately.’

Byzas nodded with agreement.

‘Very well then, I shall do that now, go and train the men for battle.’

Brinkanzos bowed and walked towards the men.

‘May the gods watch over us for the next few days.’

Consuias awoke with a headache and a pain in his side, he groaned in agony and tried to look around the place, but could hardly see, his vision was blurry. After a couple of seconds his vision returned and he saw a person watching him and drinking wine.

‘Nice to see you awake, friend,’ the man said.

Consuias looked up at him.

‘Where have I heard that voice before?’

Consuias groaned again and thought where he knew that voice, he looked at him again and tried to remember where he knew him from, but it was the mans curly black hair and the way he smiled that gave him away. Consuias smiled.

‘Symarus, what are you doing here?’ he asked.

Symarus smiled with a smirk.

‘I came because a messenger told me that Byzas needed me here to defend the wounded while he was out.’

‘How long was I out?’

‘I’m not quite sure, I only came half an hour ago, but I’m sure you’ve been out for hours.’

Symarus then stood up and walked in front of Consuias and held a cup of wine in front of him.

‘Want some wine?’ Symarus asked Consuias.

Consuias shook his head. ‘I’d prefer water instead.’

‘Suit yourself.’

Symarus sipped more wine; his smile was gone as he looked at Consuias.

‘I heard that wine is good for the blood, apparently it keeps you warm,’ Symarus pointed out.

‘Are you naturally a drunkard, Symarus?’ Consuias asked.

Symarus then smiled with a grin on his face.

‘I’m not a drunkard, but I could’ve been if it hadn’t been for the dead king, Sautes.’

Consuias nodded his head in agreement, knowing that Sautes had also recruited him as well.

There was a long silence in the tent, as both men thought of the past, the present and the future. The silence was broken when Consuias asked a question.

‘Did Byzas leave any message before he left?’

‘Yes, he did leave a message,’ Symarus answered. ‘He said he was heading for Porrolissum to lay siege to it.’

Consuias then went quiet for a small time, thinking about what he could do.

‘I can’t stay here and hear about what happens after the siege, I can’t stay here, I can’t.’

‘What are you thinking off?’ asked Symarus.

Consuias looked at Symarus. ‘Nothing, its nothing.’

Symarus looked at Consuias, uncertain if he was telling the truth.

‘Well, I must leave now, but I’ll get a guard to bring you some water,’ Symarus said.

‘Thank you, Symarus.’

Symarus left the tent and 3 minutes later, a guard came in with a jug of water and placed it beside Consuias’ bed. Consuias nodded his head in thanks and went back to thinking about a plan.

‘I cannot miss out the battle at Porrolissum; I came to this godforsaken place to fight at the Dacian capital and I shall do so! I’ll wait for a few minutes then disguise myself as a soldier, after that I’ll grab a horse and ride towards Porrolissum.’

With his plan planned out, Consuias did what he thought off. He left his tent to see no one around nearby, luck was on his side as he saw the armoury near him, and he entered it and found no one inside.

‘The gods must favour me.’

He found a suit of light armour and a helmet and put it all on, after that he left the armoury and headed for the stables. He arrived to see that one guard was guarding it.

‘Damn! I best use trickery to get myself a horse.’

Consuias approached the guard and greeted him.

‘I come on Symarus’ orders, I am to scout the area to the west to see if any enemy armies are around.’

The guard did not look convinced. ‘Are you sure, because if Symarus wanted you to go out and scout around, he would’ve told me instead of you.’

‘Well, he’s busy with other stuff at the moment.’

The guard sighed and let him take a horse.

‘Be careful. By the way, what your name?’

Consuias thought hard to think of a name, then he thought of one.

‘My name is Petrikas,’ Consuias answered.

‘Well then, Petrikas, good luck,’ the guard said.

Consuias nodded his head and rode out of the stables and the gate, towards Porrolissum. After 10 minutes of riding, his wound began to grow in pain again.

‘Damn it! I need to rest and put that herb on it, but I haven’t got time!’

Consuias rode on towards his target, hoping that he wouldn’t arrive to late.

Byzas took shelter behind a large shield to protect himself from arrow fire, he saw a person near him get pierced by an arrow in the chest. Byzas could hear the man screaming in pain and agony then he saw the man fall to the ground, still struggling around on the ground, before he stoped yelling and died.

‘Poor bugger. Pity I couldn’t help him.’

Byzas turned towards some peltests.

‘Fire at will!’ he commanded.

The peltests open-fired over the wall into Dacian warriors and archers, Byzas could hear some of them yell and one of them cry out in pain before he became silent.

Byzas turned towards the encampment, where battering rams were being constructed to ram down the gate.

Byzas looked at the Dacian walls again, and realised that they weren’t prepared for a defence.

‘Idiots. Could they not at least try to put effort into building better defences? Well, that Dacians for you, they’re warriors, not defenders.’

He heard his name get called from a soldier near him; Byzas turned his head to look at the soldier.

‘What is it?’ Byzas asked.

The soldier ran next to him and took cover with his own shield before replying.

‘Brinkanzos brings word from the encampment, he says that he needs more wood to build the battering rams,’ the soldier replied.

‘Well tell him he can go and find some more.’

‘He could, but there’s no wood left around here for about 5 to 8 miles,’ the soldier sighed.

Byzas’ face turned red with displeasure about the news of lack of wood.

‘The Dacians must have cut most of the wood down and used it for new defences.’

The soldier nodded his head in agreement.

‘Brinkanzos suggests that you and your men should return to the encampment, he says that you have weakened the enemy enough and encourages you to return.’

Byzas looked at the defences, then he turned to look at his men taking cover while throwing javelins and firing arrows over the palisade wall.

‘Very well then,’ Byzas said. ‘Men, we are returning to the encampment, leave the dead, but try to take their war gear, carry the wounded as well.’

He saw his men run towards dead men and take as much as they could carry, then they headed towards the encampment carrying a few wounded men with them. When they reached the camp they saw men arguing about were to find wood at this time of the siege.

Byzas walked towards Brinkanzos and three other men, who were arguing, Byzas could recognise one of the three men, his name was Mankanuis, he was one of Consuias’ guards.

Byzas approached them, asking what the commotion was about.

‘We are arguing about where we can find any good wood,’ replied Mankanuis.

‘I was saying that we should use the wood of the camp’s defensive wall,’ said a man called Kratheta.

The last man, called Apraces, refused to continue with the confiscation and said that he was going to practice using a spear, this left Byzas, Brinkanzos, Mankanuis and Kratheta to argy about how to find more wood. After 15 minutes of arguing, they decided to go along with Kratheta’s plan, which was to use the camp’s defensive walls for the battering rams.

But just after the discussion, their scouts found a Dacian army heading towards them, and Scyles, prince of the Dacians, led the reinforcements.

When Byzas head of the Dacian reinforcements heading their way, he ordered his men to defend the camp, after they entrenched themselves in the camp they could see the Dacians coming, the Battle of Porrolissum was about to begin.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 04-25-14 08:06 AM EDT (US)     24 / 27       
Entertaining!

Using numerals instead of writing out the numbers is a bit distracting from the story- a pro (or one wishing to be one) writes numbers out.

The chapter itself was refreshing to me- but your age shows, young man. Basically the timing is a bit wierd- very modern, where an hour and a half can find one seventy miles away. In the old days, with an army on the move, an hour and a half would carry one (with war gear and mules and such) maybe four miles. In other words, breaking camp (camps were big and took a few hours to build up, and at least one or two to tear down) to move four miles and there build one anew was unheard of unless there was some pressing tactical reason.

Remember that each turn in the game is six months. That gives you plenty of time to work out a 'reasonable' timeline for the plot. (Friendly advice, freely given).

Still, an entertaining read!

Bluebottlejr
Ashigaru
posted 04-25-14 08:28 AM EDT (US)     25 / 27       
Thanks for the heads up. While I was playing the game it took several turns for all this to occur, so for the story I had to cut it down a bit.

With that forth that the wounded were at, for the purpose of the story I placed the fort near Porrolissum so Byzas and his army could get there quicker.

But yes, the timing was a bit modern and I apologies for any things that seem modern and don't fit the plot.

Regarding the timeline, while playing the game it took 5 to 7 turns for Dacia to fall, for the story I had to cut it down, but if you're wondering what the year current year is in the tale its nearing the end of 267bc.

Anyway, thanks for that and next time I'll try to make it seem more realistic for that time period.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 04-25-14 12:34 PM EDT (US)     26 / 27       
Six or seven turns is like three and a half years- you have plenty of time to work it up. Consie can be wounded in one season, heal up the next, and be back in action the third- no hurry to hop on the autobahn/Interstate to make it there faster.

You don't have to change your stye, though. Like I said, it is refreshing, though such timing does detract a bit from the feel. Your choice, my friend.

Bluebottlejr
Ashigaru
posted 04-25-14 08:05 PM EDT (US)     27 / 27       
I'll use my style for the next chapter, then I'll use a different style for the other chapters.

I may not be able to make a start on chapter 7 for a while since I'm typing a Minecraft story and I'm making a start on a short tale called "1066: The Battle of Hastings".

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven | HeavenGames