IE6 is not supported at this time. Please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 9, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.8 replies
Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » M2TW Kingdoms-Scotland AAR
Bottom
Topic Subject:M2TW Kingdoms-Scotland AAR
Armaneus
Ashigaru
posted 11-11-13 06:38 PM EDT (US)         
Hi Everyone! I've been a lurker on the forums for about a year, but have not posted before now. I've been inspired by others on the forums to try an AAR, and I will be playing as Scotland in the Britannia campaign. Still learning the ropes, so I'll be playing H/H. To make the game more interesting, I will not be adopting anyone, and will try to only use my family members as generals. (The exception to this is if Wallace appears while a princess of marriageable age is around.) Lastly, each army cannot have more than two units of knights, as the Scots used mostly infantry.

So without further ado, the Armaneus is going to go and conquer Britannia as the Scots. For Scotland!

--------

It is the year of our Lord, 1258. Scotland lies tenuously between two nations. To the north, the raiding Norwegians look for wealthy lands to add to their own. In the south, the English gaze covetously on the highlands that crown their nation. In addition to these troubles, I, Alexander the Third of Scotland, have no heir yet, having only recently come to the throne. Should I die without one, the kingdom of Scotland may be ripped apart by nobles seeking their own glory. I cannot fail. I shall endeavor to bring prosperity to our nation through trade and alliance. I shall rule to the best of my ability, and to train my sons to do so as well, when they come. And finally, should peace flee, by God's grace I shall lead the sons of Scotland in battle. I pray we do not have to resort to Total War . . .

[This message has been edited by Armaneus (edited 11-11-2013 @ 08:13 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 11-12-13 01:19 AM EDT (US)     1 / 8       
Welcome!

You write well, based on that little tidbit in the intro. That intrigues me, and inspires a desire to read more of this. Well done so far!

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
Armaneus
Ashigaru
posted 11-12-13 10:26 AM EDT (US)     2 / 8       
A.D. 1258

Before we Scots can press our claim against Norway and England, we must strengthen our own borders. Inverlochy must be taken to secure the western seas. I myself will lead the army, to prove to the nobles that I have the strength to rule this nation.

The castles of Inverness and Stirling are preparing for war, training men with the pike, and equipping highlanders to fight. At Inverness, smiths are learning to make claymores and chainmail, so that the men do not have to go into battle with mere axes and bucklers. Perhaps, if the Norwegians are pushed out of the isles soon, Inverness can become a town. For now, the smithies ring and the men shout as they prepare to defend their homelands.

A.D. 1259.

Apparently, the path from Perth to Inverlochy goes over every mountain and craig and through every glen of the highlands. I have been traveling for a year, and I have yet to reach it. An edict has been sent to every city and castle to build roads at the earliest opportunity.

A nobleman ten years my senior tried to be named my heir. I cast him out of the court. My sons shall inherit my kingdom, or, should I lack sons, then men who have proved their worth in battle; not some courtier who thinks he has commanded an army. In more mundane matters, the city of Glasgow is encouraging merchants to go and find wares to buy and sell. I have also dispatched diplomats to Ireland, to England, and to Norway, to learn of the other lands and to make trade alliances.

A.D. 1260

I fired that worthless guide. The journey to Inverlochy took long enough for me to have gone back to Perth several times over. My first child was born this year. A daughter.

Others may insinuate that she could not be mine, as I have spent two years traveling to that wretched castle in the mountains. I had Margaret join me in the first week of this blasted journey though. There is the kingdom to consider, and I didn't want to spend another night by myself in that tent. In hindsight, I should have just gone back to Perth every night.

As for Inverlochy, I attacked right away.

In spite of my frustration at being on the road for two years, I spared the rebels. Those who are shown mercy make more loyal subjects.

England has allied with Scotland. We shall honor this agreement. We shall see if they prove true or not......

[This message has been edited by Armaneus (edited 01-02-2014 @ 10:55 AM).]

Armaneus
Ashigaru
posted 11-24-13 06:05 PM EDT (US)     3 / 8       
In case people are wondering what happened to this AAR, King Alexander III of Scotland suffered a horrible fate at the hands of the Norwegians. As I did not adopt anyone, that ended the game. I think I'm going to have to restart, and try something new. Get used to the Hard/Hard AI, for starters. And figure out how to post pictures to this, haha. Anyway, take care everyone!
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 11-25-13 11:44 AM EDT (US)     4 / 8       
No no no, you do not get to wimp out due simply to the untimely death of your Noble House.

You were writing a good tale. So what if it came to a premature end? Write that ending! Enquiring minds like to know.

Plus, you can practice screenshots while doing so, in preparation for a much longer AAR.

Good luck, and I am looking very forward to learning how my compatriots ended your man's line so thoroughly.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 11-25-2013 @ 11:45 AM).]

SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 11-25-13 01:33 PM EDT (US)     5 / 8       
The pictures issue is then likely to be the size given it's going through Steam. Oooh, actually, maybe the link you've put in is wrong - it's going to the page the picture is on and not the picture, I'll just see if 'copy image location' works...

edit: ok it seems to

If you want to make small image thumbnails - without moving over to a different image host, which would presumably be a faff if you're taking these directly in Steam - you can do a bit of a fudge

If you go to your screenshot gallery
[url=http://(right click on the picture and ][img = (right click on the picture and "copy image location")][/img][/url]
I think, let's try

Oh, poo, there's no nice url for the thumbnail

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/702854404128407781/F16F7678D70C453681F17799E8FD7E9DBE2BABB9/1024x768.resizedimage

Unless the resized image bit is flexible

Ooh, that's nice of them. You don't even seem to need to be accurate on the sizing as it adds a border

[This message has been edited by SwampRat (edited 11-25-2013 @ 01:43 PM).]

Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 11-29-13 07:03 PM EDT (US)     6 / 8       
The Britannia campaign was a lot of fun. If you give it another go post it here and I'll certainly be following along.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
Armaneus
Ashigaru
posted 01-02-14 10:42 AM EDT (US)     7 / 8       
Hey everyone, thank you for the encouragement! I had not forgotten about this AAR, only my forum password (and I found a small mod called Third Age Total War . . . ). I'm going to write a fitting (anti-climactic) end for Alexander III of Scotland, fix up my first post so that we have pictures, and then start another campaign (this time with better planning/more knowledge on traits).

Happy New Year, and thanks again for the encouragement!
Armaneus
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 01-02-14 01:03 PM EDT (US)     8 / 8       
Happy New Year, Arm-y, and we look forward to reading the exciting if premature conclusion to what promised to be a good AAR.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven | HeavenGames