IE6 is not supported at this time. Please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 9, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.6 replies
Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » Rise of the Seleucids - Seleucid AAR
Bottom
Topic Subject:Rise of the Seleucids - Seleucid AAR
Hannibal the Conqueror
Ashigaru
(id: HannibalBarcaXXI)
posted 04-12-13 05:14 AM EDT (US)         
Welcome, to those who have come from the four corners of the world, to hear the story of one of the greatest empires in history!

I am a mere administrator working in the Empire, managing the small affairs of a village just north of Antioch, but I come from a family of scribes, who have always worked in the royal palace.

This time, the tale shall be of the Seleucids, and their vast, mighty empire.

Above, you can see what territories the Selecuids ruled nearly 400 springs ago. It is nothing compared to what they have now.

Let us get on to the story now.

The name of their leader was Seleucus the Great, an honorable and just man whose actions served the interests of his people. He also was a great commander, with innumerable victories and great strategic ability.

I have, in these manuscripts, details of what Seleucus the Great had done in his time.

At first, Seleucid lands were overstretched and their military weak. The Egyptians posed a threat, since they were able to continuously pump out men as long as they had gold in their coffers.

During the first year, Seleucus focused on improving his empire's trading facilities. The empire could not wage war with a weak economy.

He also mobilized men for attacks on Parthian and Egyptian lands. He was one of the greatest strategists of his time, and thought that depriving nearby factions of their lands would enhance our faction's economic and military position, giving the Seleucid Empire an advantage as an attacker.

During the winter season, of his very first year as overlord, he declared war on the Parthians by sending Aristarchus and his army to attack Susa. There were rumours that Seleucid spies destroyed the gates, making it easier for the army to capture the city. But there was no mention of spies present in Susa.

Aristarchus exterminated Susa as a sign of Seleucid greatness. The coffers were filled with gold and possessions looted from Susa.

Antiochus, along with a force from Damascus and Antioch, engaged an Egyptian army, thereby declaring war. It was a move that would introduce a new power in the East.

----

In the second year of Seleucus' rule, there were several skirmishes against Egyptian forces, all of them resulting in victories. Antiochus proceeded to lay siege on Jerusalem, with another army laying siege on Sidon.

A Parthian force comprised of mainly horse archers and infantry archers, laid siege on Seleucia. A force from Susa was sent to break the siege. The attack was delayed because the bastards had horse archers, and do not fight on the ground, like all men do! Pathetic barbarian scum.

A force was sent from Ionia to capture Halicarnassus, lead by a general named Alexander. There were rumours of Greek sabotage attempts against Alexander's army, but they were not confirmed.

The rebel army near Halicarnassus attacked Alexander's force. He proved to be nothing but a coward, running away from the battlefield while mercenaries -men who are not Seleucid and who could run away whenever they wish- proved to be real men, unlike him! Nevertheless, t'was a close victory.

---------------------

This is it for the day, men. Have a good day. I have to go back to the town hall.

"I long for Darkness."
- Cormac McCarthy, The Sunset Limited.

"We are a species that ravages, plunders, kills, destroys, rapes and enslaves in the name of progress."
AuthorReplies:
Hannibal the Conqueror
Ashigaru
posted 04-12-13 05:18 AM EDT (US)     1 / 6       
I hope I can keep this AAR running, weekly tests and the upcoming Unit test have forced me to organize my time, for the first time in my life

What do you think?

"I long for Darkness."

"We are a species that ravages, plunders, kills, destroys, rapes and enslaves in the name of progress."
General Sajaru
Daimyo
posted 04-12-13 11:25 AM EDT (US)     2 / 6       
A good start, Hannibal. I'm enjoying your writing style, and look forward to reading more about your game.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
(id: awesomated88)
posted 04-12-13 05:40 PM EDT (US)     3 / 6       
A good start it is indeed. I expect DU along quite soon.
Good luck Mighty Warlord!

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 04-12-13 08:41 PM EDT (US)     4 / 6       
I expect DU along quite soon.
"Speak of the Devil and he shall appear.", though in my case I'm only occasionally devilish

A good start Hannibal and I look forward to reading about more of your conquests

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"It is not numbers, but vision that wins wars." - Antiochus VII Sidetes
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Cherub of Total War: Rome II Heaven and the Total War: Attila Forums
Hannibal the Conqueror
Ashigaru
posted 07-01-13 05:45 PM EDT (US)     5 / 6       
Turn 1

-----------

Welcome again, friends. I shall now resume our tale, and hopefully I will not be delayed any longer.

During the winter, Seleucus faced a tough decision. His cities in the east were threatened by revolts in the poor districts due to the Parthian siege, and Aristarchus' cavalry auxilia could not hope to drive off the Parthian horse archers, they were far too fast and deadly. Susa and Babylon lacked the compounds required to train horsemen, so a shortage of cavalry and an abundance of infantry meant the worst.

---

Nevertheless, the men at Babylon sallied; hopeless and poorly-fed, they had no other choice, and this went against Aristarchus' plans. However, Aristarchus sent his cavalry auxilia to support the men at Babylon, perhaps it could make a difference.

The Parthians' lack of proper command made Aristarchus' job slightly easier. They had foolishly sent forth their archers to their deaths by charging at Aristarchus and his bodyguards rather than avoiding melee combat. The gods decided to hand over victory to us!

A victory, no matter the losses, is still a victory. Aristarchus had successfully driven the Parthians from our lands, and for this he received much recognition back home!

---

But the situation in the Levant was dangerous. Although several of the Egyptian cities were besieged by our armies, there were rumors of massive Egyptian reinforcements arriving from the Nile Delta. This struck fear into the hearts of many of our soldiers, and fear of the Egyptian cavalry as Seleucus knew his cavalry was no match for the Egyptians'.

The young nobleman, Demetrius, assaulted Sidon. His army was up against the Nubian phalanxmen, reputed for their use of the phalanx formation but not for their bravery. They tend to run at the sight of danger, and Demetrius intended to put this to good use.

His cavalry was limited, but still better than the Egyptians, who had no cavalry at all. Tales were spoken of the Bedouin Warriors and their camels, of their faces scorched by the sun, and of their swords stained by the blood of their foes, and their father's foes, and their father's father's foes.

Soon, the gates of Sidon fell to the Seleucid battle ram, and the Nubian spearmen rushed to defend the hole in their defenses.

And then the walls were breached. Soon the cavalry charged through at the skirmishers, who were routed in a matter of seconds.

Soon, the Nubians guarding the gates were annihilated, and our men moved into the city.

I really should stop saying soon

And a victory it was.

---

To the south, Antiochus had besieged Jerusalem with his army. Shortly after the conquest of Sidon, Antiochus marked the launch of his Egyptian campaign by conquering Jerusalem.

Alexander, son of Alkmena, had besieged Halicarnassus in Asia Minor and by the end of the year, he managed to take it from the rebel's hands. And it was on that glorious day when the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus was captured by our empire.

---------

Turn 2

Soon, our coffers were filled with gold, and the Seleucids were one of the richest peoples throughout the land.

The next summer was not of much significance, Seleucus decided it would be best if the Egyptian campaign was delayed while our men reorganize themselves. However, he was concerned of the Parthian army and when it would strike. But the question he should have asked was not when, but where..

--------

Turn 3

The following events were somewhat disastrous. Seleucus's foes realized his armies' weakness in countering horse archers and have besieged Hatra, and if the city is lost then it will cut the Empire into two halves.

To the East, a Parthian army was only a day's walk from Babylon, and to our luck, Arsaces himself, the Parthian faction leader, had come with his own army to conquer Babylon.

Aristarchus set out with his army for Babylon to aid the garrison there, lest he be remembered as the man who gave Babylon to the Parthians on a silver platter..

------------

More, you say? Well I shan't tell you any more of it! But rest assured, you are in for a surprise tomorrow..

------------

END SESSION

Took me 5 hours to put the screenies up, some problem with the internet. And Photobucket's crappy upload system added to my misery. After several dozen attempts uploading/reuploading the files, I finally figured a way out to make it work.

"I long for Darkness."

[This message has been edited by Hannibal the Conqueror (edited 07-01-2013 @ 05:50 PM).]

Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 07-02-13 05:53 PM EDT (US)     6 / 6       
Nice! Will be following this one to get me in the mood for some Rome 2

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven | HeavenGames