IE6 is not supported at this time. Please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 9, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Total War History
Moderated by Pitt

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.2 replies
Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven » Forums » Total War History » Favorite people to study
Bottom
Topic Subject:Favorite people to study
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
(id: awesomated88)
posted 10-27-15 11:22 PM EDT (US)         
Pretty sinple, it says it in the title, for many of you, i know, but there still might be some surprises.

My favourite people to study in the ancient world are the Romans unsurprisingly. I find their mentality and mindset totally alien from our own. I am actually working on a discussion of the battle of the tuetoburg forest in 9AD which after it is all said and done, i may put up here on the website. The military side of it is another factor, just in order to see how the military actually functioned and why they won almost every engagement they fought for a significant period. But anyway,. that is merely my thoughts.

What are yours and why?

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
AuthorReplies:
ShieldWall
Ashigaru
posted 10-29-15 05:06 AM EDT (US)     1 / 2       
From the RTW period of history I'm more interested in the barbarians myself, and probably the Celtic Britons above all simply because that's where I'm from. Roman history is more or less laid bare to be read and discussed, but the Celts are mysterious if not almost anonymous.

Roman writers described them as simple savages who were easily overcome, and that's a view which was held until quite recently. But if you read between the lines and look at the archaeology, it turns out these people were in fact anything but simple. Even militarily, if you carefully read Caesar's account of the invasion of Britain from the perspective of the Britons, there's clearly a lot more going on with their tactics than a simple mad do-or-die charge.
Edorix
High King of Britain
posted 04-03-16 09:40 AM EDT (US)     2 / 2       
I'm sure it will come as no surprise that I second ShieldWall.

To add to his reasons of a) a sort of geographical/national bias and b) the tremendous amount of effort you have to put in to finding out anything about them and the impossibility of ever really knowing all that much about them for certain, there is also a direct appeal from the perception that I have of the world they lived in my mind. The way their world looked is strongly appealing to me - both the landscape in which they lived, and their visual and material culture (ie. their actual stuff - clothing, weaponry, art, architecture etc). Probably Tolkien's fault mostly... Additionally the later Britons came out with some very beautiful stirring poetry and I am inclined to believe its tradition goes back to the Iron Age (despite my Medieval Welsh professor's disapproval of such backwards-oriented approaches to medieval material!) - so there is a subjective love of their art as well.

Also, visiting their archaeological sites! Some of the hillforts that I've been to in Southern Britain are just really lovely spots nowadays - all grass and the odd sheep, or sometimes overgrown with trees. Very idyllic. Okay I'm mostly joking about that one.

EDORIX
~ ancient briton ~

/\
/|||| ||||\

(dis ma house)

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 04-03-2016 @ 09:41 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven | HeavenGames