IE6 is not supported at this time. Please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 9, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Total War History
Moderated by Pitt

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.5 replies
Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven » Forums » Total War History » Richard III
Bottom
Topic Subject:Richard III
Warguppy
Ashigaru
posted 02-05-13 06:19 PM EDT (US)         
I just saw an article today that British authorities have positively identified the skeletal remains found under a Leicester parking lot as those of Richard III, last of the Plantagenet kings. Kind of a cool story.

Life was much easier before I developed a sense of ethics.
AuthorReplies:
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 02-06-13 01:11 AM EDT (US)     1 / 5       
I saw that- exciting stuff. The talking heads are all excited about how his remains can be examined to see how much of the horror stories surrounding him were true, and how much were Tudorian propaganda.

The historian-types are already talking a review of the man.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
ShieldWall
Ashigaru
posted 02-06-13 03:14 AM EDT (US)     2 / 5       
Well he definitely had a curved spine, which apparently would not cause him to be hunched back but would make one shoulder higher than the other. None of the other deformities said about him appear to be true. The debate now is where he is to be buried. There seems to be quite a campaign in favour of Leicester, but as he was "of York" I'd say that's the better place for him. Leicester was where he was defeated and buried by his enemies - I doubt he felt any great attachment to the place.

Anyway there's a king unearthing frenzy going on in the UK at the moment, another team reckon they might be close to finding the remains of Alfred the Great. Any chance of King Arthur as well? Thought not...
Pitt
Daimyo
posted 02-08-13 00:00 AM EDT (US)     3 / 5       
There's a Richard III Society in Britain which for some time now has had the aim of rehabilitating his reputation.

They must be pretty happy about it.

His reputation as deformed and irredeemably wicked is a product of Tudor propaganda. Henry Tudor and his successors could hardly admit that Henry had killed a good king with a superior claim to the throne, and who appears to have been moderately well-liked by the English, particularly in York and the North which he had administered on behalf of Edward IV.

One of the paintings of Richard III was re-painted to make it look like he had a hunchback.

Shakespeare just followed the script.

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French." - P.G. Wodehouse, The Luck of the Bodkins

[This message has been edited by Pitt (edited 02-08-2013 @ 00:10 AM).]

Legion Of Hell
Centurion
posted 02-10-13 05:06 PM EDT (US)     4 / 5       
The discovery of Alfred The Great would be more epic. Any man able to repel successive Viking invasions deserves the title "The Great"

General Rawlinson- This is most unsatisfactory. Where are the Sherwood Foresters? Where are the East Lancashires on the right?

Brigadier-General Oxley- They are lying out in No Man's Land, sir. And most of them will never stand again.

Two high ranking British generals discussing the fortunes of two regiments after the disastrous attack at Aubers Ridge on the 9th May 1915.
ShieldWall
Ashigaru
posted 02-11-13 03:36 AM EDT (US)     5 / 5       
Yes it would be more important as Alfred held out against the Danes when all others had succumbed, keeping a little corner of England alive at first, then consolidating it and putting in the ground work for its expansion which culminated in the unifying of England under a single king for the first time. He also laid the foundations of the English state with his legal reforms. An immense figure.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven | HeavenGames