IE6 is not supported at this time. Please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 9, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Total War History
Moderated by Pitt

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.17 replies
Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven » Forums » Total War History » Who would you wish to be?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Who would you wish to be?
Alex_the_Bold
Ashigaru
posted 10-01-12 11:41 PM EDT (US)         
So, dear forumers, in this thread you write about which historical figure you'd like to be. Feel free to justify.

Invincibility lies in defence, while the possibility of victory in the attack -Sun Tzu
Akouson me, pataxon de (hit me, but first listen to me)-Themistocles to Euribiadis prior to the battle of Salamis.
AuthorReplies:
Baalite
Ashigaru
posted 10-10-12 06:22 AM EDT (US)     1 / 17       
An Roman Emperor after Augustus
Reason? Party!

Ask the experienced rather than the learned.
We will either find a way, or make one - Hannibal Barca
Throw your soldiers into positions whence there is no escape, and they will prefer death to flight. If they will face death, there is nothing they may not achieve.
- Sun Tzu

You can get more with a gun and a kind word than you can with just a kind word- Al Capone
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 10-10-12 09:26 AM EDT (US)     2 / 17       
And a limited lifetime.

How many of the Emperors after Augustus died natural deaths in their old age, while still being sound of mind?

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
Alex_the_Bold
Ashigaru
posted 10-10-12 12:06 PM EDT (US)     3 / 17       
Claudius (disputed), Vespasian, the Five Good emperors (from Nerva to Marcus Aurelius) and Septimius Severus, at least till the third century AD... Anyway, I'd like to be Socrates. Died old, lived in Classical Athens and produced a hell of a work in philosophy...

Invincibility lies in defence, while the possibility of victory in the attack -Sun Tzu
Akouson me, pataxon de (hit me, but first listen to me)-Themistocles to Euribiadis prior to the battle of Salamis.
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 10-10-12 01:13 PM EDT (US)     4 / 17       
Out of how many?

Tiberius (nuts, murdered), Claudius (nuts, maybe murdered), Caligula (murdered, definitely nuts), Nero (nuts, suicide), Galba (murdered), Otho (suicide), Vitellius (Murdered), Titus (sickness), Domitian (murdered), Verus (plague), Commodus (assassinated), Pertinax (murdered), Didius Julianus (executed), Caracalla (nuts, murdered), Geta (murdered), Macrinus (executed), Elagabulus (murdered), Severus Alexander (murdered), Maximunus (murdered), Gordian I (suicide), Gordian II (killed in action), Pupienus (murdered), Balbinus (murdered), Gordian III (murdered), Philip I (killed in action), Trajan Decius (killed in battle), Hostilian (plague), and that is just to 251 AD.

You'd have to go all the way to 283 AD (Carus) to find someone not killed in action, assassinated, murdered, or plagued. And he was killed by a lightning bolt.

Or all the way to 305 AD (Diocletian) who retired and later died of natural (purely natural) causes.

As for me, I'd probably go with Harald Hardråde. He died in battle, but his death closed an era. In his day he traveled widely, sampled the very best of female flesh to be found, drank the best vodkas and wines and beers, became the Commander of the Varangian Guard (bodyguards to the Byzantine Emperors), made himself King of Norway, sailed the seas as a Viking, then had a bad day in England trying to become king there too. End of story.

But the life he had while he had it...

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 10-12-2012 @ 01:06 AM).]

Scenter102
Ashigaru
posted 10-10-12 02:30 PM EDT (US)     5 / 17       
Mao Zedong, total rule over a nation sounds pretty amazing, 'sspecial some of his less talked about actions.

Besides being a creepy dictator, I would say Fredrick the Great.
Pitt
Daimyo
posted 10-10-12 10:42 PM EDT (US)     6 / 17       
Fun fact about Frederick: he tried to find out whether he could function without sleep if he drank enough coffee. He couldn't, and he practically destroyed his innards in the attempt.

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French." - P.G. Wodehouse, The Luck of the Bodkins
Pitt
Daimyo
posted 10-10-12 11:11 PM EDT (US)     7 / 17       
Anyway, I'd like to be Socrates. Died old, lived in Classical Athens and produced a hell of a work in philosophy...
...he walked about until, as he said, his legs began to fail, and then he lay on his back, according to the directions, and the man who gave him the poison now and then looked at his feet and legs; and after a while he pressed his foot hard, and asked him if he could feel; and he said, "No;" and then his leg, and so upwards and upwards, and showed us that he was cold and stiff. And he felt them himself, and said: "When the poison reaches the heart, that will be the end."
Doesn't really appeal to me, to be honest.

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French." - P.G. Wodehouse, The Luck of the Bodkins
Scenter102
Ashigaru
posted 10-11-12 04:57 PM EDT (US)     8 / 17       
That is something I would do
ShieldWall
Ashigaru
posted 10-12-12 04:16 AM EDT (US)     9 / 17       
King Athelstan, the first man to sort of unite the whole of Britain under a single ruler. Inherited a solid state from a couple of very good Anglo-Saxon kings, Alfred the Great included, made the vision of a unified England a reality, and crushed an army of Scots, Irish vikings and others in the epic battle of Brunanburh. Which was so great someone wrote a poem about it!
Agrippa 271
Ashigaru
posted 10-18-12 03:33 PM EDT (US)     10 / 17       
Well, seeing as being an Roman emperor would probably be bad for my health, I'd be Ptolemy I or II. Get me a nice, extremely prosperous empire that's easy to defend. If you think about it, he got the best chunk of Alexander's empire.

Death is a (vastly) preferable alternative to communism.
"Idiocy knows no national or cultural borders. Stupidity can strike anyone, anywhere." -- Terikel
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 10-19-12 01:23 AM EDT (US)     11 / 17       
But to become Pharaoh, he'd have to bone his sister or auntie.

Sorry, but no thanks.

Agrippa 271
Ashigaru
posted 10-19-12 11:27 AM EDT (US)     12 / 17       
Hmmm... Good point...

Death is a (vastly) preferable alternative to communism.
"Idiocy knows no national or cultural borders. Stupidity can strike anyone, anywhere." -- Terikel
Thalassocracy
Ashigaru
posted 06-09-13 10:55 PM EDT (US)     13 / 17       
"But verily, if I were not [Alexander], I would like to be Diogenes." - Alexander the Great

Slave, thou hast slain me. Villain, take my purse.
If ever thou wilt thrive, bury my body...
Ecthelion
Ashigaru
(id: p90pro)
posted 06-19-13 11:13 PM EDT (US)     14 / 17       
If it weren't for his case of extreme OCD, I'd be the man that made the modern world possible, Nicola Tesla.

Sir, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
Swallow my pride? No thank you, Im too full of myself.
I bring you nothing but love and a shopping bag full of sexual depravity.
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Tied with Meteora (****er) for Best Sig Award.
Shadowcran
Ashigaru
posted 07-10-13 08:34 PM EDT (US)     15 / 17       
Tokugawa Ieyasu-Great general, administrator and plotter. A master of the ploy and delaying tactics.

Sympathy for the Guilty is Treason to the Innocent.
Warlod Redvig
Ashigaru
posted 07-11-13 02:13 AM EDT (US)     16 / 17       
Is this as in just living through their life as it was or replacing them and making your own desicions, because that would change my choice xD

If it was as it was, a Byzantine Emperor who saw peacetime, who wouldn't love living in the richest city in the world, as to the other choice, it would be Llywelyn, Prince of Wales, and the first thing I would do is give his right hand man a serious talking to before the guy goes and loses the war against England for us -_-

It is pleasant, when the sea is high and the winds are dashing the waves about, to watch from the shores the struggles of another - Lucretius
Edorix
High King of Britain
posted 07-20-13 01:57 PM EDT (US)     17 / 17       
Nothing could long have delayed the conquest. I would call that outcome geographically inevitable. When you have one very large, rich, centralised state next to a small nation deeply divided along the lines of ancient tribal kingdoms... and when that little country has no international legitimacy whatsoever that might put enough pressure on the bigger country to respect it enough to create a kind of stable peace... and in an age where military conquest and massacre of rebels in large numbers are quite acceptable... and with maybe a few other related factors I cannot quite so easily articulate... Wales is a natural part of whatever, if any, power rules the rest of the southern portion of Britain.

Or so I see it. Scotland rather less so, because of the primary north-south axis of the island; broken terrain in the north end always somehow ends up more cut off from the rest of the island that broken territory on the western side. The oldest Welsh stories envision England and Wales, and a bit of Scotland, as one country; while the northern half of what is now Scotland was considered far flung and wild. The geography lends itself to this image.

This may be an inheritance from the Roman period - but the northern quarter of the island of Britain exhibits a very different material culture from much deeper in the Iron Age. The pattern is rendered more fuzzy of course by maritime contact along the coast and across seas, but it holds even so; Wales and the Southern Uplands of Scotland have always fitted into broader British patterns better than the far northern highlands. I can extend this back into the Bronze Age and Neolithic for certain - evidence for the earlier Stone Age is rather too thin to paint any decent picture of regional trends.

I digress from the topic... it happens.

I am fairly happy to be who I am - it is almost banal to say it, but during no other period in history has life been so very congenial... I certainly wouldn't wish to live the life of a historical player from that point of view.

But a life that it would be very interesting to view from the perspective of the one living it... of course they would look very different to the person living them. But I would like to be Aethelberht of Kent when the Christian missionaries arrived and kick them off... not that England would probably have remained very pagan for very long because of one man's actions. My curiosities would lead me to want to watch the processes of Britain starting to become England over the course of the later fifth or sixth centuries (mainly), but I am not sure if a single lifetime or indeed a single perspective would suffice to be able to explain the complex social interactions and gradual coalescence of wider, new, ethnic identities...

No, I think I am too much the archaeologist or socio-ethnic historian to play the game of individual characters and events.

• EDORIX •
~ ancient briton ~

/\
/|||| ||||\

(dis ma house)

[This message has been edited by Lord Eddie (edited 07-20-2013 @ 02:03 PM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven | HeavenGames