IE6 is not supported at this time. Please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 9, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Total War History
Moderated by Pitt

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.1 reply
Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven » Forums » Total War History » Greek War of Independance 1821-1832
Bottom
Topic Subject:Greek War of Independance 1821-1832
Alex_the_Bold
Ashigaru
posted 05-17-12 05:24 AM EDT (US)         
I was just wondering, could the Greeks have succeeded in gaining their independance from the Ottoman empire without the European countries' intervention (Battle of Navarino). I mean, the Ottomans were severely weakened by internal strife (the murder of the previous Sultan by the janissaries) so there could have been success without the Greeks' depending on England, France and Russia.

Share your opinions.

Invincibility lies in defence, while the possibility of victory in the attack -Sun Tzu
Akouson me, pataxon de (hit me, but first listen to me)-Themistocles to Euribiadis prior to the battle of Salamis.
AuthorReplies:
Pitt
Daimyo
posted 05-24-12 03:11 AM EDT (US)     1 / 1       
I freely admit that the Greek War of Independence is not one I've studied in any detail, but I still have to say that international intervention was decisive in resolving the conflict in the Greeks' favour.

The Battle of Navarino was the first official intervention, it's true, but European military advisers were training and leading Greek forces before then.

Navarino and the negotiations before and after it caused a significant halt to Ottoman military operations. Prior to then they had started achieving real successes in regaining control of territory.

And Navarino wasn't the end of outside intervention either. The threat of French military intervention caused the withdrawal and recall to Egypt of the substantial Egyptian army in the Peloponnese, depriving the Sultan of his most effective military force.

One also cannot overlook the Russian attacks against Ottoman territory either.

While Greece might, and most probably would, still have achieved independence, it would not have come so early without European intervention.

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French." - P.G. Wodehouse, The Luck of the Bodkins
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven | HeavenGames