IE6 is not supported at this time. Please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 9, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Total War History
Moderated by Pitt

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.4 replies
Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven » Forums » Total War History » DNA analysis on Egyptian mummies
Bottom
Topic Subject:DNA analysis on Egyptian mummies
Zardozhotep
Ashigaru
(id: Kahotep)
posted 12-26-11 06:56 PM EDT (US)         
The genomics company DNATribes, which specializes in analyzing individuals' genomes to determine their genetic relatedness to certain global populations, has done an analysis on Egyptian mummies from the 18th dynasty, including King Tut, and reported a predominantly sub-Saharan and especially southern African affinity for them:

http://dnatribes.com/dnatribes-digest-2012-01-01.pdf
Results indicated the autosomal STR profiles of the Amarna period mummies were most frequent
in modern populations in several parts of Africa. These results are based on the 8 STR markers for which
these pharaonic mummies have been tested, which allow a preliminary geographical analysis for these
individuals who lived in Egypt during the Amarna period of the 14th century BCE.
Although results do not necessarily suggest exclusively African ancestry, geographical analysis
suggests ancestral links with neighboring populations in Africa for the studied pharaonic mummies. If
new data become available in the future, it might become possible to further clarify results and shed new
light on the relationships of ancient individuals to modern populations.
Now all that needs to happen is for other scientists to replicate these results and the old Egyptian race controversy may finally be resolved!

Everything is better with dinosaurs.
AuthorReplies:
Agrippa 271
Ashigaru
posted 12-30-11 06:14 PM EDT (US)     1 / 4       
PLEASE, let it be resolved soon. Its pretty obvious to me that Ancient Egyptians would have been a combination of both African and non-African ethnicity. Why? Because anyone who wanted to travel to/from Africa before the seas became viable had to go through Egypt.

But I think that they are going to need a lot more evidence before this ridiculous argument stops. Especially from the lower classes of Egypt. To say that most of the Egyptian pharaohs were of predominantly African ancestry simply proves that they were predominantly African. It says nothing about the rest of Egypt. So, show me some data that includes a couple thousand commoners and middle-class Egyptians, and we'll have something.

In any case, may I ask why it matters? It doesn't change anything. Ancient Egypt will still be, well, Ancient Egypt. And it won't say anything about the so-called "African race" either. People with dark skin are no different from everyone else. Except, it may show any traditionally racist a**holes how wrong they really are.

Death is a (vastly) preferable alternative to communism.
"Idiocy knows no national or cultural borders. Stupidity can strike anyone, anywhere." -- Terikel
Zardozhotep
Ashigaru
(id: Kahotep)
posted 12-30-11 06:56 PM EDT (US)     2 / 4       
But I think that they are going to need a lot more evidence before this ridiculous argument stops. Especially from the lower classes of Egypt. To say that most of the Egyptian pharaohs were of predominantly African ancestry simply proves that they were predominantly African. It says nothing about the rest of Egypt. So, show me some data that includes a couple thousand commoners and middle-class Egyptians, and we'll have something.
I don't see any reason to suppose that the ruling class was ethnically different from the commoners, but I concur that a larger sample size would be desired. As DNATribes themselves say, more research is needed.

Everything is better with dinosaurs.
Agrippa 271
Ashigaru
posted 12-31-11 01:13 PM EDT (US)     3 / 4       
Well, there could have been immigration from outside of Africa that would have effected the ethnic makeup of the lower and middle-classes, but the upper and ruling-classes probably would have been unaffected because they may not have intermarried with any of the other classes.

Death is a (vastly) preferable alternative to communism.
"Idiocy knows no national or cultural borders. Stupidity can strike anyone, anywhere." -- Terikel
Latinium
Ashigaru
posted 01-02-12 11:34 AM EDT (US)     4 / 4       
I didnt even realize there was an argument about this then again im not that interested in Ancient Eygpt

"Confront them with annihilation, and they will then survive; plunge them into a deadly situation, and they will then live. When people fall into danger, they are then able to strive for victory"-Sun Tzu
"They can beacause they think they can" -Virgil
"Laws are silent in times of war"- Cicero
"Who watches the watchmen"-Juvenal
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven | HeavenGames