IE6 is not supported at this time. Please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 9, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Total War History
Moderated by Pitt

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.10 replies, Sticky
Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven » Forums » Total War History » History Article Guidelines & Submissions
Bottom
Topic Subject:History Article Guidelines & Submissions
Kor
Busschof Happertesch
(id: Derfel Cadarn)
posted 01-01-09 10:22 AM EDT (US)         
The third history article database for TWH has just gone live!
As you are well aware, Empire: Total War deals with the eighteenth century, a period most known for the Enlightenment, colonial expansion and other developments that helped shape the world (for better and worse) as we know it today. The rich history of the game's period is an at present uncharted vastness, and I invite all of you to help contribute to this article section.

The subject of your article could be virtually anything, from the many wars fought in the period (both in Europe and abroad) to the history of specific countries, from important figures to the life of the common man and woman, from architecture to religion and from philosophy to military formations, anything that deals with the period, fits the theme of the game and is likely to interest your fellow site visitors is welcome!

Submission drafts should be sent in a format that allows for some formatting, such as Word. Include the title of your history article, your name, and your e-mail address at the top of your draft. Please check your spelling and overall structure before you send your draft - a few errors are to be expected, but please take some time to look it over before you send it in. If an article is not considered readable we will return it to you with suggestions for revision.

500 to 2000 words would be preferable for faction histories, with between 600 and 1000 words being ideal. Faction histories are meant to be all-inclusive in that they cover many different aspects of a single nation. If you want to dwell on one specific subject, that's okay as well, but in that case it won't be our official faction history article. Only the faction histories have a word limit (loosely) imposed, but it is useful to remember that longer articles generally attract fewer readers.

You may want to include images in your article, such as maps, army setups, etc. Please send the images as attached jpg files individually, numbered from one up, and include in your draft where you want them inserted. (For example, [Map1here]). Unfortunately we cannot accept images included directly into word files, as they are difficult to extract.

It would be best if you could also include a list of sources you used to compile your article; no in-depth annotation is required, but if people want to know more it is nice if you could provide them with a helping hand.

We do not accept plagiarised articles, either in part or in full. While it may be tempting to use wikipedia articles and the like as the basis of your own writing, we strongly discourage you to use them as your only source. They often offer good starting points for research, but can contain errors. Apart from that, if you simply copy what wikipedia has to say, there is no reason for people to peruse our database. By doing some more research, your article will become more developed and also more interesting. If you simply copy bits and pieces, we consider this plagiarism and will turn down your article and may decide not to accept your articles in future.

To submit an article, send it to Pitt at pitt@heavengames.com.

Your input for the History Section is much appreciated, and may bag you a custom title (if you write enough). Read more about that here. Of course, we also still accept articles for RTWH and M2TWH!

Happy writing,
TWH

Kor | The Age of Chivalry is upon us!
Wellent ich gugk, so hindert mich / köstlicher ziere sinder,
Der ich e pflag, da für ich sich / Neur kelber, gaiss, böck, rinder,
Und knospot leut, swarz, hässeleich, / Vast rüssig gen dem winder;
Die geben müt als sackwein vich. / Vor angst slach ich mein kinder
Offt hin hinder.

[This message has been edited by Pitt (edited 09-30-2009 @ 08:02 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Cordyceps
Naphal
(id: ArchDruid)
posted 05-18-09 08:23 PM EDT (US)     1 / 10       
Article submitted, please confirm reception.

Just as some bodies, from the moment of birth, are endowed with beauty, while on others nature from their very beginning bestows blemishes and wrinkles, so with souls too, some are distinguished at once with extreme grace and attractiveness, while others leave a trail of sombre and deep gloom. ~Michael Psellus, Chronographia
Kor
Busschof Happertesch
posted 05-19-09 05:30 AM EDT (US)     2 / 10       
Received. Thanks!

Offt hin hinder.
Edorix
High King of Britain
posted 07-03-09 07:38 AM EDT (US)     3 / 10       
Just sent an article for Rome,
please confirm reception.
I can't put it better than that.

• EDORIX •
~ ancient briton ~

/\
/|||| ||||\

(dis ma house)

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 07-03-2009 @ 07:44 AM).]

Kor
Busschof Happertesch
posted 07-03-09 08:45 AM EDT (US)     4 / 10       
Received. I'll try to get it up asap.

Offt hin hinder.
Edorix
High King of Britain
posted 07-03-09 11:24 AM EDT (US)     5 / 10       
Many thanks.

• EDORIX •
~ ancient briton ~

/\
/|||| ||||\

(dis ma house)
DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 01-26-13 08:17 AM EDT (US)     6 / 10       
I've been considering writing one or two historical articles, and I'm just wondering if the guidelines (word limit, photo or two, etc.) still apply. Been awhile since I submitted an article so I'm a bit rusty when it comes to it.

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"It is not numbers, but vision that wins wars." - Antiochus VII Sidetes
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Angel of Total War: Rome II Heaven and the Total War: Attila Forums
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 01-26-13 10:02 AM EDT (US)     7 / 10       
Sorta kinda.

The current criteria are that the article is complete (covers everything it should), and is well-written. Length is not so important, though really short articles rarely cover a subject fully, and articles that are very long often lose their luster in the course of the reading.

Plagiarism is severely dealt with, of course.

Pics should be no wider than about 600 pixels or they begin to break the coding of the page. Really long pics are possible, but usually tend to stop the reader.

It would be nice if the author put a double-x (xx) at the end of each paragraph- that makes coding really quick and easy.

Listing sources is still a must.

Have I answered your questions fully? If not, let me or Pitt know and we will be glad to provide further information.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 01-26-13 10:30 AM EDT (US)     8 / 10       
Yes, you've done a most exemplary job answering my questions Terikel.

Good to know there's no limit on the word count, but the smallest picture I might've used is 758 x 460 so I'll have to pass on that.

Will make a note to add double x's at the end of each paragraph, and listing sources will be easy as I am in possession of most of them. As always, I shall write in my own words my personal interpretation of the subject.

My only remaining question is whether it would be easier if I submitted my articles to you or Pitt, as I have no idea how busy either of you are with real life or moderator related business.

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 01-26-13 10:40 AM EDT (US)     9 / 10       
The fastest and best way to get something posted is to post it in the Guides and Articles forum. We let the author post his own, then people can comment (maybe they see a small error that we others might miss) and then invoke the Two Day Rule which gives last-minute readers a chance to get their comments in.

Two days later, we post.

Usually Pitt or I or both have read the article in the meantime and posted our comments as well.

Pics should be submitted by email- makes posting them to the site easier. Otherwise we grab it from wherever you used to post it.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 01-26-13 11:15 AM EDT (US)     10 / 10       
Excellent, I shall get to work right now and post it in the Guides and Articles Forum as soon as I am able.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven | HeavenGames