IE6 is not supported at this time. Please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 9, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Total War History
Moderated by Pitt

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.21 replies, Sticky
Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven » Forums » Total War History » Historical Resources on the Internet
Bottom
Topic Subject:Historical Resources on the Internet
GLORYOFSPARTA
Seraph (in absentia)
posted 03-21-05 09:59 AM EDT (US)         
Ancient History

The Internet Classics Archive provides over 400 ancient works by 59 authors.

Ancient History Sourcebook is by the same people as the Medieval Sourcebook but (rather obviously) covers earlier times.

LacusCurtius is a good place for ancient history sources too. My favourite because the format is easy to read.

The Perseus Classics Collection has a whole load of stuff. Sadly the format makes reading and searching within a text rather irritating. Worth a look though.

Medieval History

Medieval Sourcebook includes many well-known documents in full, from Magna Carta to the call to Crusade.

De Re Militari includes essential articles on medieval military history but also has a number of primary sources posted.

Various

Project Gutenberg is vast and contains a lot of things outside the scope of TWH. If you know the author you're looking for, it's worth a quick check here.

A history of Western Society, based on the oft-used academic introduction into western history, does not really offer primary sources but includes plenty of interactive maps to inform you on matters ranging from the Persian Wars to the Victorian empire.

If you want me to add a site, post a link in the thread below - Kor

GLORYOFSPARTA | RTWH and M2TWH Site Director, AoMH Game Information Admin, HeavenGames LLC
AoMH | RTWH | M2TWH | Ancient Greek Festival - 3rd to 4th of June in Watford, UK, 2006.
"Whoever obeys the gods, to him they particularly listen." - Homer
"GoS OWNS for being female and liking The Simpsons and Rammstein." - Crazed Ewok

[This message has been edited by Kor (edited 02-03-2008 @ 07:55 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
exe1
Ashigaru
posted 03-23-05 04:43 PM EDT (US)     1 / 21       
This is one useful site, you probably know it, but it can help.

protect gutenberg

This has a database of online books by authors like:
Cicero

Tacitus

Xenophon

Sun Tzu
Not Roman, but applicable.

Pliny the younger

Archimedes

There are others I am sure, but I cant think of them off the top of my head

Moderator disclaimer: Most of these works are in the public domain, but check your local copright laws first

Share our wealth!
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
As far as I can tell, Baltimore is in redneck country ~ Bored Scotsman
You all realize that both Halo and Starcraft stole their storyline from tetris, right? ~He113ent

[This message has been edited by exe1 (edited 03-23-2005 @ 04:44 PM).]

GLORYOFSPARTA
Seraph (in absentia)
posted 03-23-05 05:17 PM EDT (US)     2 / 21       
Thanks, exe1! We were talking about Project Gutenberg on GameSpy, but somehow it slipped my mind while making the thread.

GLORYOFSPARTA | RTWH and M2TWH Site Director, AoMH Game Information Admin, HeavenGames LLC
AoMH | RTWH | M2TWH | Ancient Greek Festival - 3rd to 4th of June in Watford, UK, 2006.
"GoS OWNS for being female and liking The Simpsons and Rammstein." - Crazed Ewok
scipio_africanus
Ashigaru
posted 04-03-05 09:45 AM EDT (US)     3 / 21       
Does anyone know any good sites about Alexander the Great's tactics?

///scipio_africanus\\\
"Scipio rules. Nelson sucks." - Jax
"I have a shrine to Scipio in my closet."- Doitzel
"posting a link with no sort of comment or explanation is not something we readily condone in OD." - GillB
The Gamers' Manifesto|Welcome to HG!|The Sanatorium
Winner of the Order of Doitzel!
Commisar Clark
posted 04-21-05 01:22 PM EDT (US)     4 / 21       
Alexander The Great resources. Offers excellent information on Alexander. From parents and schooling to battles and tactics.

P.S. GoS, sent you in a new article.
-TMP

The Mighty Pharaoh AKA Jonathon Clark
"Gods...I hate Gauls...My grandfather hated them too...Even before they put out his eyes..."
Yuri Andropov
Ashigaru
posted 06-13-05 01:50 PM EDT (US)     5 / 21       
If you want an interesting and rivetting account of the Punic Wars then read "The Fall of Carthage" by Adrian Goldsworthy.
GLORYOFSPARTA
Seraph (in absentia)
posted 11-13-06 07:25 PM EDT (US)     6 / 21       
*Un-expires*

D Furius Venator
HG Alumnus
posted 05-27-07 03:23 AM EDT (US)     7 / 21       
Thread slightly modified.

By all means post links to non source material but I'm keeping the title post for source stuff only at the moment.

Civile! Si ergo fortibusis in ero.
Wassis inem causan dux?
Gnossis vile demsis trux!

I suggest that before badgering for a translation you take the time to read it out loud. Thankyou.
Spartamaran
Ashigaru
posted 09-17-07 11:44 PM EDT (US)     8 / 21       
There was link in here before that I think I was the one to provide. It was called something like "the internet arcive". It contained mostly Hellenic writer, some Persian, Roman and a few Chinese aswell. I know Gos added it, did you remove it DFV? I would like to use it, but cant find it when I google it...

Edit: I've found it, thought maybe others to can enjoy.
http://classics.mit.edu/

"One can do without God, but not without religion.."
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
"In war there is but one favorable moment; the great art is to seize it!"

- Napoleon Bonaparte

[This message has been edited by Spartamaran (edited 09-19-2007 @ 07:41 AM).]

Kor
Busschof Happertesch
(id: Derfel Cadarn)
posted 02-03-08 07:44 AM EDT (US)     9 / 21       
I've added your link as well as some others.

Kor | The Age of Chivalry is upon us!
Wellent ich gugk, so hindert mich / köstlicher ziere sinder,
Der ich e pflag, da für ich sich / Neur kelber, gaiss, böck, rinder,
Und knospot leut, swarz, hässeleich, / Vast rüssig gen dem winder;
Die geben müt als sackwein vich. / Vor angst slach ich mein kinder
Offt hin hinder.

[This message has been edited by Kor (edited 02-03-2008 @ 07:55 AM).]

el_bandito
Ashigaru
posted 07-29-08 01:11 AM EDT (US)     10 / 21       
This forum page has really nice pictures of Nomadic warriors from all eras! Check em out.

http://steppes.proboards23.com/index.cgi?board=board21&action=print&thread=439

Michael Jackson
Rex84
Ashigaru
posted 12-06-08 01:23 PM EDT (US)     11 / 21       
Some of my favorites:

http://www.seleukidempire.org/

http://phoenicia.org/

http://www.carthagelives.com/

http://www.livius.org/

"Cowardice and stupidity are vices which,
disgraceful as they are in private to those who have them,
are when found in a general the greatest of public calamities."

- Polybius of Megalopolis
Gallowglass
Ashigaru
posted 12-06-08 01:37 PM EDT (US)     12 / 21       
An unfinished but promising website about the Lordship of the Isles - society, culture, history, and anything else.

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

Monkey beats bunny. Please put Monkey in your signature to prevent the rise of bunny.
m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b

[This message has been edited by Gallowglass (edited 12-06-2008 @ 01:39 PM).]

Rex84
Ashigaru
posted 02-19-09 08:09 PM EDT (US)     13 / 21       
http://www.attalus.org/

Tremendous site for ancient Greco-Roman history that's a lot of fun to browse.

Click 'Index of Names,' type in a person or place from the ancient world and you'll get a boatload of detailed information, with direct links to the ancient sources.

"Cowardice and stupidity are vices which,
disgraceful as they are in private to those who have them,
are when found in a general the greatest of public calamities."

- Polybius of Megalopolis
Dricus Frisii
Ashigaru
posted 04-21-09 03:41 PM EDT (US)     14 / 21       
Today on the Dutch news website, the announcement of the first digital library www.wdl.org.
Great site: many historic and cultural manuscripts, maps, prints, photographs etc.

GdB

"The story of our life, in the end, is not our life, it is our story" - Americano
Ad furore Dutchmannorum libera nos domine - Ace Cataphract
Edorix
High King of Britain
posted 11-04-09 10:16 AM EDT (US)     15 / 21       
Here's something I use quite often to find original Latin texts on the internet, not least historical.

• EDORIX •
~ ancient briton ~

/\
/|||| ||||\

(dis ma house)
Punic Hebil
Centurion
(id: Punic Hoplite)
posted 06-03-12 07:23 PM EDT (US)     16 / 21       
Here is a site that has a ton of out-of-copyright texts from classical authors.

Seriously, there's pretty much 245 free texts that you can click on and read, or download them all in .zip format.

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
Alex_the_Bold
Ashigaru
posted 10-23-12 03:31 PM EDT (US)     17 / 21       
This is a site on Roman Britain, with lists and information on towns and peoples.

This is a website where many Celtic texts both in English and in Gaelic can be found.

Invincibility lies in defence, while the possibility of victory in the attack -Sun Tzu
Akouson me, pataxon de (hit me, but first listen to me)-Themistocles to Euribiadis prior to the battle of Salamis.
Punic Hebil
Centurion
(id: Punic Hoplite)
posted 10-23-12 05:01 PM EDT (US)     18 / 21       
This map is about the Roman Empire. It's interactive, shows provinces, major and minor roads, limes, aqueducts, ect. Quite good if one needs a map of the Roman Empire.

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
Alex_the_Bold
Ashigaru
posted 10-23-12 11:43 PM EDT (US)     19 / 21       
This is an interactive map of Rome during the reign of Augustus, with plenty of information on buildings.

Invincibility lies in defence, while the possibility of victory in the attack -Sun Tzu
Akouson me, pataxon de (hit me, but first listen to me)-Themistocles to Euribiadis prior to the battle of Salamis.
Scenter102
Ashigaru
posted 10-24-12 08:31 PM EDT (US)     20 / 21       
Is there any interactive maps duting the the Period of Pyrrus?
Alex_the_Bold
Ashigaru
posted 11-23-12 04:09 PM EDT (US)     21 / 21       
This is an old translation of the epic of Gilgamesh (copyright information on the page itself)

This is a website with a plethora of information on the Napoleonic wars.

Inthis website there is a full translation of Titus Livius.

This is an article on the ancient Athenian legal system.

Finally,this is a route planner between ancient Roman cities according to the Tabula Peutigeriana.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven | HeavenGames