IE6 is not supported at this time. Please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 9, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Land + Naval Battles
Moderated by Scipii

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.13 replies
Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven » Forums » Land + Naval Battles » How do you go about sieges?
Bottom
Topic Subject:How do you go about sieges?
Liam_the_Spartan
Banned
posted 06-30-11 06:54 PM EDT (US)         
I am just wondering what different tactics you guys use to take castles.

I developed a very good tactic. You need a large archer-based army.

Assault the castle, but stay outside and shoot the defenders! Most castles do not have a large garrison, so your ammo should last. Target any archers if they have any, to make sure you suffer the least ammount of casualties possible, burn any towers down with flaming missiles.

The AI are silly, and do not come out to meet you, and so they just sit there being shot. If the garrison is large, just use flaming arrows, then stop your men from shooting, wait for it to recharge, fire again, and carry on like this.

If the enemy army is large, simply hide all your archers in a forest. Take one and move it into the open far enough away that you won't be seen. The enemy will send out their army to attack, and you swoop in and take the castle. Then defend it, with 20 archers, should be easy

I have stopped using this tactic, as it is pretty boring. Anyway, what are your tactics?

[This message has been edited by Liam_the_Spartan (edited 06-30-2011 @ 06:59 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
CommanderVideo
Ashigaru
posted 06-30-11 08:29 PM EDT (US)     1 / 13       
The first crucial siege of the game, I normally play, but beyond that I don't normally do sieges myself, unless I am defending because you can either put up an EXTREMELY stout fight, or you can just pain pwn the enemy with like 1 unit for every 5 they have if you are smart about it. The other thing that I like to do is siege the enemy out, because that's an extremely effective tactic because you can chase the units down after you've routed them (almost wrote toured xD) you can chase them down and then autoresolve. But most of the time, I autoresolve siege battles. On another note, though, I quite enjoy playing the multiplayer matchmaking siege battles because you can have access to units that you may not have in the campaign, such as loan swords, or matchlocks. Yes, you can get matchlocks in the campaign, but it is much more irritating and they do take a while to train. I have become a person to quite love matchlock, and I haven't perfected tactics with them, but I am pretty good with them

00DATACOMPILED11 11 COMMANDERVIDEOENGAGE1--MISSIONREQUEST1--PERSONALINFORMATIONPLEASE11 11 CANNOTDO1NOPERSONALINFORMATIONAVAILABLE11 11 COMMANDERVIDEODISENGAGE1--THECOMMANDER1
Lenardius VII
Ashigaru
posted 06-30-11 09:10 PM EDT (US)     2 / 13       
Siege battles i normally don't fight them as an attacker.

But when I do i have 3 golden rules for a fully garrisoned city above stronghold level.

1) always out number the defender and I mean out number them. I like to have two armies (preferably full stack or 1 and half stack army with generals/family) taking any level above Stronghold.

2) For a more effective Siege battle for just 1 stack army of yours..siege with actual siege weapons Kabooms or Euro Cannons. I prefer to assault with 4 Kabooms.

3) Never have many horses in your army to siege. you obviously want more infantry numbers to take the walls.

"Maybe someday we could become friends. Friends who ride majestic, translucent steeds, shooting flaming arrows across the bridge of Hemdale."
Liam_the_Spartan
Banned
posted 07-01-11 06:11 AM EDT (US)     3 / 13       
Remember your cavalry can dismount, to make them more effective.

Now I hardly ever climb walls. I just break a gate amd rush my men in. I don't attack a large army, because in a siege I'll probably lose.

How often do you burn the gates? I feel climbing the walls just kills some of your men, then they die as soon as they reach the top.
CommanderVideo
Ashigaru
posted 07-01-11 09:51 AM EDT (US)     4 / 13       
I burn the gates for my most effective men, and have the cheapies climb the walls. I help motivate them by saying that survivors get to take showers! It always works!

00DATACOMPILED11 11 COMMANDERVIDEOENGAGE1--MISSIONREQUEST1--PERSONALINFORMATIONPLEASE11 11 CANNOTDO1NOPERSONALINFORMATIONAVAILABLE11 11 COMMANDERVIDEODISENGAGE1--THECOMMANDER1
StevenO
Ashigaru
posted 07-01-11 02:44 PM EDT (US)     5 / 13       
I've found that if you want to take a castle and produce troops you need to run the assault yourself. Fortunately this is pretty easy with low level castles that lack missile troops provided you have your own that. I don't know how many forts I've taken with a single ashagai bow unit to take out the retainer. When the castles get towers things get a bit harder but if you can cover the castle in missile fire while avoiding the towers you can still win.

Unfortunately, when it comes to he "big" assaults when I don't care if the castle remains unspoiled I just autoresolve.
Liam_the_Spartan
Banned
posted 07-02-11 07:00 PM EDT (US)     6 / 13       
Now I think of it, Mongonels would be much better than archers in my old tactic.

Actually, the cost and upkeep between bow ashigaru/samurai and Siege Units is very different. And trainning some more bow ashigaru is easier than upgrading buildings to get them.

I have not waitted for them to sally out yet. What is it like? Is it a normal battle with the castle in the distance, or is it the same map as normal sieges, and you see them running out the gate?
Lenardius VII
Ashigaru
posted 07-04-11 00:03 AM EDT (US)     7 / 13       
@ Liam.

Yes, they can dismount but then again you want to overwhelm the defender. A few garrisoned yari bowmen can do quite some damage to stronger melee units who are wanting to scale the walls.

I see it as 60 units or less (if archers i cutting them down) scaling walls, a few will fall from climbing and once they make it over the walls the cav unit will be so overwhelmed, tired and few that I reckon that cav unit will be shattered so quickly.

"Maybe someday we could become friends. Friends who ride majestic, translucent steeds, shooting flaming arrows across the bridge of Hemdale."
AFF92
Ashigaru
posted 07-13-11 06:49 PM EDT (US)     8 / 13       
Conducting a siege is a rather difficult endeavor I have found. You clearly need an advantage in units and plenty of missile units. Sometimes my sieges end in large routes where I take massive casualties. Is it safer to split up your force or to go in on one side?

TAD ROX
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 07-16-11 06:34 AM EDT (US)     9 / 13       
I tend to attack in two different places, and scale a single unit up from a third just to add another distraction.
I take heavy casualties. That's about as consistent as I get

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
Hannibal the Conqueror
Ashigaru
(id: HannibalBarcaXXI)
posted 07-16-11 07:27 AM EDT (US)     10 / 13       
Where did my post go???

"I long for Darkness."
- Cormac McCarthy, The Sunset Limited.

"We are a species that ravages, plunders, kills, destroys, rapes and enslaves in the name of progress."
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 07-16-11 09:32 AM EDT (US)     11 / 13       
Eaten by the database, perhaps. Post it again

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
Hannibal the Conqueror
Ashigaru
(id: HannibalBarcaXXI)
posted 07-16-11 12:43 PM EDT (US)     12 / 13       
Ah then I'm too lazy to type in that war story again :P

"I long for Darkness."
- Cormac McCarthy, The Sunset Limited.

"We are a species that ravages, plunders, kills, destroys, rapes and enslaves in the name of progress."
StevenO
Ashigaru
posted 07-16-11 03:06 PM EDT (US)     13 / 13       
Although they are expensive to get in many ways I'm finding that I like bringing along a European Cannon or two when laying seige to higher level fortifications. I've discovered that I can take out towers WITHOUT causing damage that I need to repair later which is nice when I have a missile advantage and want to take a place intact. If I'm just pounding the enemy to dust I imagine the cannons should also have an easy time blowing gates open without risking my troops and can but guys hiding behind walls on notice.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven | HeavenGames