IE6 is not supported at this time. Please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 9, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Land + Naval Battles
Moderated by Scipii

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.8 replies
Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven » Forums » Land + Naval Battles » Is the AI really that much better?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Is the AI really that much better?
NinjXPk
Ashigaru
posted 03-28-11 12:35 PM EDT (US)         
The AI definitely better than in Empire, however I still notice some flaws.

I play on normal and hard and in both cases, I will start to march towards my enemy and only at the last second will the AI begin to move from its deployment area up onto a hill. The AI remains motionless for like 2 minutes before camping up on a hill. Anyone else notice this?

PS. I love siege battles. They are so interesting with the multiple levels and back doors. I just hate it when the AI spams archers and uses them to barrage my troops. But I love it when I see that the enemy has no archers and I am attacking. I just bring up my archers and do the same barrage. I love seeing the enemy drop.

All Empires Crumble; there are no exceptions

Rise -> Zenith -> War -> Chaos -> Nothing
Monarchy -> Republic -> Empire -> Downfall -> Enlightenment
AuthorReplies:
Liam_the_Spartan
Banned
posted 03-28-11 03:28 PM EDT (US)     1 / 8       
It's definetely better than older TW games. but obviously it will still have it's flaws.
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 03-28-11 05:32 PM EDT (US)     2 / 8       
The AI isn't perfect, not will it ever be, but it has definitely improved to the point where it acts in a sane way 90% of the time. It still does odd things from time to time, but they are much less frequent than they used to be. I'm quite happy with the way it is.

I've heard some people complain about the AI's tendency to camp on hills, but I definitely don't agree with this. It is actually a smart move as long as it's defending, so what's wrong with that?

Hussarknight
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 03-29-11 08:53 AM EDT (US)     3 / 8       
I think that, in certain battles at least, armies have surrendered the most defensible ground so that their opponents will actually fight. It may not be something to do in a true 'defence' situation, but if the objective is say to stop an enemy passing through your lands, hiding on a hill whilst they walk past probably won't do too much.

In game terms, there's a balance to be had from taking the most strategically sound route all the time and having a varying challenge. Since I haven't got the game, I can't comment really on whether that's met particularly well.

Is the AI good enough to trick? e.g. by showing what looks to be a weak spot in a formation that turns out not to be due to hiding units etc (assuming units can hide in some circumstances).

One of the interviews with CA sounded like there's a play off between bonuses the player/AI gets and increased tactical challenge from the AI - i.e. that at higher difficulty levels the AI is 'cleverer' but also has bonuses. Is that the case? If so it seems a shame that the two aren't detached, so you can face the most able AI without bonuses (or face a mid level AI with it having bonuses etc).
K Masashige
Ashigaru
posted 03-30-11 01:19 AM EDT (US)     4 / 8       
Very easy to trick the AI into attacking you by having a smaller number (but experienced) army.
Sukhoi 37
Ashigaru
posted 03-30-11 03:20 AM EDT (US)     5 / 8       
The AI doesn't work very well in a siege setting...

I was attacked by the Takeda in a province which had a two tier castle. I was outclassed, I had 5 bow Ashigaru and some Yari and a General while the AI had a 3/4 samurai stack with 2 Generals.

When they attacked, all was well and I retreated back to the highest tier after losing some of my Yari units. But the enemy refused to advance any more after that. They just sat in the lowest tier getting sliced by arrows. Eventually they all routed.

In general the AI has been good but every now and again it stuffs up.

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 03-30-11 02:53 PM EDT (US)     6 / 8       
The AI is definitely superior to Napoleon, ETW and the previous instalments, too.

I have had occasional blips where the computer raced it's horses well ahead of the main force and got them killed. I haven't been flanked too often either. I haven't had the kind of catastrophe that Sukhoi described, but there was one instance where the AI attacked me in a siege, but would not attack my fort. Instead they moved their forces to the furthest point possible on the map. They don't seem to use open gates either...

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
bmlinsey
Ashigaru
posted 03-31-11 10:13 PM EDT (US)     7 / 8       
now i've had a different experience. I was attacked at a fort, and my gates were opened. The enemy attacked from three sides, and def. came in the open doors. Luckily i placed a row of yari directly infront so it took some time to get through my gates. I nearly lost that battle.
megarian
Ashigaru
posted 04-02-11 11:56 AM EDT (US)     8 / 8       
Well it is much better that the other total war games but i was playing in hard and i have never...i mean never....lost a battle. Now either i am a really good strategist and tactician or the ai game was really bad i do not know.....I have congratulated the ai for some really smart moves and i have laughed my head off for being so morons when they could very easily obliterate me.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven | HeavenGames