IE6 is not supported at this time. Please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 9, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Land + Naval Battles
Moderated by Scipii

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.7 replies
Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven » Forums » Land + Naval Battles » How many fleets do you field in campaign?
Bottom
Topic Subject:How many fleets do you field in campaign?
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 03-28-11 10:06 AM EDT (US)         
Just wondering. I am in the bad habit of neglecting my naval fleets in favour of fielding an additional army. I did this to the extent that I was so badly outclassed on the ocean that I was getting invaded left, right and centre and could do nothing to intercept the Shimazu/Chosokabe invasions after the realm divide in my Uesugi campaign.

Also, what ratio of large to small and quick ships do you employ? I tend to go with half stack is quick vessels like Bow Kobayas, the rest with Bunes and usually some sort of Heavy Bune or other larger 'admiral' vessel.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
AuthorReplies:
NinjXPk
Ashigaru
posted 03-28-11 12:31 PM EDT (US)     1 / 7       
I do the same thing. I am all land armies. I only have a small fleet to protect my trades. I only really build fleets later in the game. In Empire, I would just spam the biggest ships I could.

I am interested to hear from you guys what is the best naval combination to build.

All Empires Crumble; there are no exceptions

Rise -> Zenith -> War -> Chaos -> Nothing
Monarchy -> Republic -> Empire -> Downfall -> Enlightenment
Liam_the_Spartan
Banned
posted 03-28-11 03:31 PM EDT (US)     2 / 7       
I guess people tend to favour land armies because they are the ones that go conquesting and capturing cities.

I try and send one fleet to a trade post, have one lone ship exploring the map for me, and another fleet to protect my trade.
Gnarlyhotep
Ashigaru
posted 03-28-11 04:17 PM EDT (US)     3 / 7       
I usually only put trade ships and some guards for them out to see. Other than that, they're far too expensive for the low benefit they give.

The AI seems more prone to map/fog of war "cheating" with navies than with armies, I've noticed. Plus, I'm a pretty horrible admiral and don't have fun playing the naval battles.
DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 03-28-11 04:32 PM EDT (US)     4 / 7       
I also have neglected my naval assets in favor of my land forces.

Right now I'm playing through my 3rd campaign as the Shimazu and with all of Kyushu under my control I've decided to build up my fleets. The ships that have men onboard that throw bombs (I forget what they're called) are devastating in fleet battles. They break morale like nothing else and if your ships have already set the enemy ships alight with fire arrows, then you're guaranteed to have the enemy either abandon ship or surrender and let their ship be captured by you after the battle.

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"It is not numbers, but vision that wins wars." - Antiochus VII Sidetes
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Cherub of Total War: Rome II Heaven and the Total War: Attila Forums
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 03-28-11 05:30 PM EDT (US)     5 / 7       
Before the realm divide happens I try to have at least one fleet on each side of Japan so I can fend of naval invasions from both sides. My fleets usually consist of four heavy/medium bunes, two bow kaboya's and two sengoku bunes. This gives a nice mix of firepower and melee power. The Sengoku's are good at boarding thanks to their large crew, but are also fast enough to catch fleeing ships.

Hussarknight
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 03-30-11 02:36 PM EDT (US)     6 / 7       
Before the realm divide happens I try to have at least one fleet on each side of Japan so I can fend of naval invasions from both sides.
This is definitely sound advice.

I've been experimenting a little and find Medium Bunes a good compromise between speed and durability. Of course supplemented with light ships and at least 1/2 heavies.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
megarian
Ashigaru
posted 04-02-11 12:13 PM EDT (US)     7 / 7       
naval battles i do not believe will ensure the success of your clan. keep at least one full size fleet just to protect the trade routes from the pirates....i didnt like naval battles very much cause i didnt get how they really worked all those ships. Maybe i didnt want ot understand how they worked
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven | HeavenGames