IE6 is not supported at this time. Please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 9, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Land + Naval Battles
Moderated by Scipii

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.6 replies
Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven » Forums » Land + Naval Battles » Historical Battle = enjoyable.
Bottom
Topic Subject:Historical Battle = enjoyable.
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 03-04-11 03:34 PM EDT (US)         
Well, my mate upstairs has a fantastic gaming rig that can run the demo on full, so I decided to have a go at the ole' first historical battle. He said it was so hard, but I laughed him away, confident in my mastery in Total War.

Well. Drove away the first army fairly well- next time I think I'll have to move troops towards the general, rather than move the general to the troops- much better defensive position. My cavalry had great fun charging at the ford, too.
Trying not to spoil it for the others, but first cut scene, I was expecting, sure. Second? Screwed. Actually down to archers in melee, and I lasted about three minutes against them.

But my God, was it not an enjoyable battle. It's the terrain, I think- assuming that it's a very sculpted battlefield, and that I can expect, say, only one river bisecting the place, that's still an impressive battlefield. I want to have another go tomorrow and kick him, but in the mean time, what was your impressions on it?

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
AuthorReplies:
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 03-05-11 04:21 AM EDT (US)     1 / 6       
I really enjoyed it, although it was a bit too fast-paced. I discovered a slightly dirty trick which I won't tell just yet , but it did help considerably.

Hussarknight
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 03-06-11 12:24 PM EDT (US)     2 / 6       
Done it- rushed my army over on the flat plain to the shallows as quickly as possible to rush the enemy while they still weren't grouped together. Lots of little pockets of Hammer and Anvil, then set up defensive positions on each of the shallows, while my cavalry crossed and harried them a bit while they tried to put together an attack. My general's troops crossed and straight away held the flanking shallows, and shot them to death while they were still in the water trying to fight onto dry land. A couple of choice cavalry charges (and some foolish ones) eventually broke the army.

I then switched sides to take on the second army, with the idea of holding them with my infantry while sending a katana cavalry unit that I'd completely forgotten about for five minutes, and thus was still on 60-odd men (my other cavalry fell foul of a general and spearmen). Didn't quite follow, as the fresh enemy elected to aim for a bull charge of everything onto my furthest left flank (which was the shallows of the furthest right flank before crossing them and turning), which was a bitch- my reserves weren't quite in position for that. So I had to hurry everything behind my line to concentrate on that line, and they sent some samuri over to another shallow to make sure I didn't have an easy time crossing and flanking the ensuring meatgrinder. In fact, they nearly broke through on both shallows- I set my general to "inspire" next to the meatgrinder, and was forced to throw in anything I had (including the unit of cavalry I was planning to flank with). The other ford was nearly broken, but I threw round an exhausted and badly depleted cavalry, spear and bow unit over to get them to run. The general died due to concentration of fire on the main ford, and everyone broke. A win for me

I've noticed, though, that bodies don't stay on the ground- they disappear. I hope this is just a demo thing, because I love seeing dead bodies everywhere.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
Army Ranger
Ashigaru
posted 03-09-11 08:12 AM EDT (US)     3 / 6       
I've noticed, though, that bodies don't stay on the ground- they disappear. I hope this is just a demo thing, because I love seeing dead bodies everywhere.
I don't know if they will stay on the battlefield. They didn't dissappear in Napoleon either.

As for the demo, its very fun and as EnemyofJupitor said i think its the terrain as well.I was defeated in the historical battle but it was still entertaining.
Tonymoua24
Ashigaru
posted 03-10-11 09:48 PM EDT (US)     4 / 6       
I've played the historical battle 3 times when I download it the demo.
Well, I'll say this, it wasn't easy. I had to try to outflank the the enemy who was trying to flank me from left and the center. On top of that one of the allies turn on you eventually.

Well, after a while I manage to beat the enemy. Unfortunately I was unable to take Tokugowas head.
megarian
Ashigaru
posted 04-02-11 11:49 AM EDT (US)     5 / 6       
I was this close the first time to win the battle but the stupid ashigaru routed....little incompetent traitors....
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 04-03-11 04:00 AM EDT (US)     6 / 6       
Ashigaru aren't something you should rely on too much. If you use them keep your general nearby so stiffen their morale.

Hussarknight
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven | HeavenGames