IE6 is not supported at this time. Please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 9, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Land + Naval Battles
Moderated by Scipii

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.16 replies
Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven » Forums » Land + Naval Battles » Good Lord who has seen this monster?!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Good Lord who has seen this monster?!
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 03-17-11 07:40 AM EDT (US)         
So I was scouting out the coastline in my current Uesugi campaign with around a half full stack of middle tier naval vessels. Suddenly I was sucked into a naval battle as my Date allies attacked a ship that had just come into my radius.

'The Black Ship'

Our two medium sized fleets fired arrows into it's colossal hull as it dispatched the men on our decks with musketfire and pummelled the shaky wooden vessels with cannonfire.

Suffice to say, I shall not be attempting to capture it again until I have the top tier ships. And even then, it is one thing to destroy it with your best ships, it is another thing entirely to get close enough to board and defeat the 300+ crewmen...

The in-game notification I got when it first began patrolling the Japanese shores said that it gives me bonuses if I capture it, does anyone know what they are?

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
AuthorReplies:
Army Ranger
Ashigaru
posted 03-17-11 08:02 AM EDT (US)     1 / 16       
Is that a European ship?

If you want to use lots of your ships,could you board it repeatably until you capture it?I find in Napoleon that the defender loses more than the boarder.

[This message has been edited by Army Ranger (edited 03-17-2011 @ 08:06 AM).]

Legion Of Hell
Centurion
posted 03-17-11 09:45 AM EDT (US)     2 / 16       
Looks like the type of warship Blackbeard would cause carnage on.

So when are we going to see your review of the game, Afty?

General Rawlinson- This is most unsatisfactory. Where are the Sherwood Foresters? Where are the East Lancashires on the right?

Brigadier-General Oxley- They are lying out in No Man's Land, sir. And most of them will never stand again.

Two high ranking British generals discussing the fortunes of two regiments after the disastrous attack at Aubers Ridge on the 9th May 1915.
Scipii
TWH Seraph
posted 03-17-11 10:44 AM EDT (US)     3 / 16       
That is indeed one of them Naban (Euro) Trade Ships, a special one at that. Having used one in battle I can say that they are indeed a fearsome weapon, and opponent. The Black Ship is even deadlier though, not sure what the bonuses are as I didn't notice any, and the encyclopaedia mentions none.
vampiric canniba
Ashigaru
posted 03-18-11 04:22 AM EDT (US)     4 / 16       
For that matter, has Empire been reviewed yet?

you like something both hardcore and whack
2009 RLT & ETWH Craziest Forummer Award!
I had to remove the excessive numbers of smilies I used la VampiricCannibal so as not to inconvenience low bandwidth users too much... - Edorix
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 03-18-11 11:04 AM EDT (US)     5 / 16       
Well this monstrosity is still patrolling the seas, I keep getting offered to set up a Nanban port but as I'm the devout Uesugi I can't give in to the possibility of Christian conversion.

Vamp - I wrote a review upon release, but for whatever reason I neglected to upload it to the main site.

A f t y

A A R S

EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 03-18-11 12:23 PM EDT (US)     6 / 16       
The Black Ship is even deadlier though, not sure what the bonuses are as I didn't notice any, and the encyclopaedia mentions none.
I think it's got a few more guns, not sure.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
LordTaeglan
Ashigaru
posted 03-18-11 04:54 PM EDT (US)     7 / 16       
@Afty, it is possible to balance the consequences of a Namban port, I have one in one of my cities, and the province is still 100% Shinto because of the monastery

Nobody knows exactly where the entity known as Stephen Hill came from. He was found fully formed at the height of a storm and is believed to have come to Earth from a distant world where human qualities of fashion and beauty did not exist, which explains a lot. Constructed mostly of hatred and contempt, wrapped up in a pathetic human shell, Stephen comes fully equipped with his Antarian death coat, his Pen of Rage +2, and a variety of useful headgear
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 03-19-11 04:58 AM EDT (US)     8 / 16       
Ah that's good to know then, still... just wouldn't have felt right letting the Christians in when the Uesugi are known for their Shinto religion

A f t y

A A R S

AFF92
Ashigaru
posted 03-20-11 03:19 PM EDT (US)     9 / 16       
That thing is my worst nightmare. Even heavy bunes are fodder!

TAD ROX
LordTaeglan
Ashigaru
posted 03-20-11 05:19 PM EDT (US)     10 / 16       
I still prefer the Nihon Maru

Nobody knows exactly where the entity known as Stephen Hill came from. He was found fully formed at the height of a storm and is believed to have come to Earth from a distant world where human qualities of fashion and beauty did not exist, which explains a lot. Constructed mostly of hatred and contempt, wrapped up in a pathetic human shell, Stephen comes fully equipped with his Antarian death coat, his Pen of Rage +2, and a variety of useful headgear
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 03-21-11 06:55 AM EDT (US)     11 / 16       
The Nihon Maru is nice and all, my Shogun sure loves to take a cruise around the island in it. But as soon as I catch sight of the Black Ship I send him back to land asap.

Even the floating wooden castle stands little chance against those cannons.

A f t y

A A R S

AFF92
Ashigaru
posted 03-25-11 00:46 AM EDT (US)     12 / 16       
Just captured this ship in my Mori campaign. I lucked out because I caught her damaged with only 3 cannons intact and 50 sailors. It still routed two of my ships! After repairing I was eager to send it out in battle, and it can win whole naval engagements by itself.

I went up against a Hojo force of 8 ships, medium bunes and arrow bunes. It sunk or surrendered every single one...usually only taking one volley of cannon fire to do it. Any idiots that got close to the ship were ripped to shreds by the tons of muskets onboard. What a beast!

Does anybody have any experience with the Nanban ships?

TAD ROX
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 03-25-11 11:21 AM EDT (US)     13 / 16       
I haven't managed to capture it yet, but I intend to play a Mori campaign next (already failed one on hard barely 15 turns in!) so I'll give it a go with their superior navy. I reckon you need your own cannon ships to be able to compete and do enough morale damage and allow the boarding from your other larger vessels.

I haven't encountered any other Nanban ships roaming the seas though, but then again I pretty much neglected them completely when playing through as Uesugi.

A f t y

A A R S

Scipii
TWH Seraph
posted 03-25-11 01:41 PM EDT (US)     14 / 16       
If you are lucky someone else may try to capture it but fail to do so, leaving The Black Ship weakened and easier to capture for your own clan.
AFF92
Ashigaru
posted 03-25-11 06:36 PM EDT (US)     15 / 16       
Thats what I did Scippi. Chosokabe lost a huge fleet but damaged it enough that I could take it

TAD ROX
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 03-28-11 10:19 AM EDT (US)     16 / 16       
Well I lost a Mori stack to it last night but had a brainwave...I'm gathering up my Nanban trade ships (3 in total) and will combine them with another fleet and hopefully they will be enough to sufficiently overwhelm the dastardly european traders.

A f t y

A A R S

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven | HeavenGames