IE6 is not supported at this time. Please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 9, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Guides & Articles
Moderated by Scipii

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.21 replies
Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven » Forums » Guides & Articles » The Gatling Gun
Bottom
Topic Subject:The Gatling Gun
Scenter102
Ashigaru
posted 03-24-12 08:13 AM EDT (US)         
Pic 1

Background
The Gatling gun, created by Richard John Gatling, patented in 1861, is the first well-known and mass produced rapid-fire weapon, with the ability of firing about 200 rounds per minute. Six years later, in 1867, Gatling improved his gun to use a metallic cartridge, a cartridge is basically gunpowder surrounded by a metal (typically brass) with a bullet on one side and a percussion cap opposite it. Below is a diagram.
Pic 2
Though not officially accepted by either side during the American Civil War, the weapon first saw battle under General Benjamin Butler during the siege of Petersburg, Virginia in 1864. It was also used by the Peruvian Navy, during the Pacific War, and the Canadian Army during Louis Rielís North-West Rebellion. European powers also used them to great effect in their foreign possessions.
Ironically, Gatling wanted his invention to result in fewer soldiers to be deployed, resulting in fewer casualties. While noble in cause, his weapon did not result in any significant drop in casualties, sort of like the Cotton Gin resulted in more slave labor.
Due to the increased destructive nature of the Gatling gun more soldiers were deployed, resulting in more casualties. Another result of this increased destruction is it also allowed smaller armies to hold against a much large opponent.

How it Works

The Gatling gun is not considered an Automatic weapon because someone has to crank it.

The Gatling gun is operated by a soldier pulling a crank, which rotates the 10 barrels; each round is loaded in the barrel as it rotates. Then each round is fired as a firing pin hits a groove sending backwards which the causes the spring to react to the force and move back into place with some degree of force. The spent cartridges are then ejected at the bottom of the guns rotation.

Significance
The Gatling gun was significant because it was the first gravity fed crank weapon. Also, the rotary design of the barrels allowed them to gain heat significantly slower then if it had a single barrel. This boon led its design to be used on the M134 Minigun.

The M134 has 6 barrels and works very much like the Gatling gun, only it uses electricity. The M134 was created during the vietnam war to protect helicopters from enemy troops during landing. It fires 7.62 NATO rounds at 4,000 rpm. This extreme speed is acheived mainly because of the rotary barrel design.

The Barrels would each be loaded, unloaded, and fired seperatly allowing fo less time inbetween shots. This differs from the system on any guns pre-dating the M134. These guns, if automatic, are limited on the speed that they can shoot because one system is ejecting, reloading, firing and the ejecting again, while on the M134 it is done almost similtanously in different barrels.
----------------------------END-----------------------------

Sources:
Wikipedia

How Stuff Works

about.com

History.com

More photos to come. Please check the significance section, I don;t have time atm to look it over.

[This message has been edited by Scenter102 (edited 10-13-2012 @ 01:00 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
(id: awesomated88)
posted 07-31-12 11:50 PM EDT (US)     1 / 21       
Try Photobucket. Ok, so looks pretty good. Could you possibly talk a touch about its impact on warfare(if any), times it was used in battle, and its effectiveness in terms of range, and power?

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
Scenter102
Ashigaru
posted 08-01-12 05:25 PM EDT (US)     2 / 21       
Thanks, will try once I can figure out my password to either my photobucket or my old email. An alternative would be to become human (Darn funky word patterns, they always call me a robot).
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 08-01-12 07:26 PM EDT (US)     3 / 21       
Create a new one maybe? i dont like the visual recognition thing either..:/
I heard it was very prone to jamming too, might be able to touch on that.

History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Scenter102
Ashigaru
posted 08-01-12 11:19 PM EDT (US)     4 / 21       
Steam had a random question as their bot defense which i much prefer. I would like something like a click so many times in a box or something.
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 08-02-12 00:46 AM EDT (US)     5 / 21       
Yea, just dont sacrifice security for convenience.

Scenter102
Ashigaru
posted 08-02-12 09:43 PM EDT (US)     6 / 21       
Are the pictures showing up? They don't seem to on my browser.
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 08-03-12 07:59 AM EDT (US)     7 / 21       
Hiw are you doing the pictures? With Photobucket it should provide you with a link to thumbnail it. Use this and just copy and paste the link into the article.

Scenter102
Ashigaru
posted 08-03-12 11:28 AM EDT (US)     8 / 21       
I used dropbox, I presume they are not showing up then
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 08-03-12 06:12 PM EDT (US)     9 / 21       
nope. Umm, try just putting a hyper link to it for now, when scipii puts it up he will get it somehow..

Scenter102
Ashigaru
posted 08-03-12 06:29 PM EDT (US)     10 / 21       
Will do thanks.
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 08-03-12 07:17 PM EDT (US)     11 / 21       
No worries, do u mind checking out my S2 overview? tell me what you think?

Scenter102
Ashigaru
posted 08-04-12 00:55 AM EDT (US)     12 / 21       
Done...
Can you think of anything else the article needs.
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 08-04-12 11:39 PM EDT (US)     13 / 21       
Maybe it impact? like today's chain guns are descendants of the Gatling. hmm, may be some stats? like how fast it could fire generally, etc..

Scenter102
Ashigaru
posted 10-05-12 06:41 PM EDT (US)     14 / 21       
Fixed some wording.
Scenter102
Ashigaru
posted 10-13-12 01:01 PM EDT (US)     15 / 21       
Fixed a few more grammatical errors, I believe that it is ready content-wise but I will bet more picture later.
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 01-07-13 07:34 PM EDT (US)     16 / 21       
A good, if brief article. should be added yo main site

EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 01-14-13 12:16 PM EDT (US)     17 / 21       
Scip's a bit busy at present, but he'll get round to having a look ASAP

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
Scenter102
Ashigaru
posted 01-20-13 10:02 PM EDT (US)     18 / 21       
I totally forgot about this until a few seconds ago, oops.
Scipii
TWH Seraph
posted 02-16-13 12:24 PM EDT (US)     19 / 21       
Currently got some time to further flesh out the content of Shogun 2 Heaven so I'll upload it soon alongside some other additions. Internal image hosting is currently down due to technically difficulties so I'll have to host the images on Imageshack or something temporarily too.
Scenter102
Ashigaru
posted 02-16-13 02:54 PM EDT (US)     20 / 21       
Okay, thanks, might start drafting another, hopefully longer article once I find the inspiration.
Scenter102
Ashigaru
posted 04-16-13 08:29 PM EDT (US)     21 / 21       
Don't mean to harass, but Bump
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven | HeavenGames