IE6 is not supported at this time. Please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 9, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Multiplayer
Moderated by Scipii

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.12 replies
Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven » Forums » Multiplayer » Untrained Fugu Cook
Bottom
Topic Subject:Untrained Fugu Cook
Gnarlyhotep
Ashigaru
posted 03-25-11 02:13 PM EDT (US)         
It's looking like this retainer may be a must choose for all armies. -2 to all enemy unit's melee attack is by far most comprehensive effect I've seen of any retainer. Against ashigaru units, probably not such a huge problem as they're really more morale dependant anyway, but against samurai this is pretty substantial.

The only counteractive bonuses I can see that are more than +1 are unit type specific, like sword units. I'd rather not have my Yari and Naginata samurai at a big negative against the cavalry they're tasked with, especially if they're veterans that I've built up melee defense on just to withstand those instances.

[This message has been edited by Gnarlyhotep (edited 03-25-2011 @ 02:13 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 03-25-11 03:11 PM EDT (US)     1 / 12       
I fought someone who used this today but it didn't make too much of a difference, I won despite losing a large part of my cavalry to a lame bug. (I attacked a wedge formation from behind but they counter charged and turned just before I hit them. They were in no formation at all but my four units lost a lot of men to his two)

However, I don't rely on my melee infantry to win the battle. They've just got to keep the enemy infantry pinned down until I can charge in from behind.

Hussarknight
Gnarlyhotep
Ashigaru
posted 03-25-11 03:14 PM EDT (US)     2 / 12       
Hmm, maybe it's just more effective against me because I rely a lot on my melee troops. I'd imagine it's really harsh on the loansword spammers, as they rely entirely on their melee attack, having squat for armor or defense.
Liam_the_Spartan
Banned
posted 03-25-11 03:21 PM EDT (US)     3 / 12       
I still don't have any cavalry apart from light. So I have no choice but to use infantry armies.
shadowdrummer46
Ashigaru
posted 03-30-11 02:19 PM EDT (US)     4 / 12       
I still don't have any cavalry apart from light. So I have no choice but to use infantry armies.
I'm in the same Position. This trait is really harsh on new armies whose main option consists of ashigaru units.

I was Destroyed by a guy using that trait the other day. I was using 2 loan sword ashigaru, 2 yari ashigaru, and 1 katana samuraI, 3 bow ashigaru, and 1 yari cavalry. You can see how that trait would hurt.

Although it could be that they had a horrible commander, who knows? =P

Aspiring scientist and millitary enthusiast.

I tend to be long-winded. Thanks for any help.

[This message has been edited by shadowdrummer46 (edited 03-30-2011 @ 02:22 PM).]

Lenardius VII
Ashigaru
posted 04-02-11 08:51 AM EDT (US)     5 / 12       
Don't like that trait. should be +1

"Maybe someday we could become friends. Friends who ride majestic, translucent steeds, shooting flaming arrows across the bridge of Hemdale."
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 04-02-11 02:10 PM EDT (US)     6 / 12       
Now that the forums are in place I'm moving this to the multiplayer section.

Hussarknight
megarian
Ashigaru
posted 04-05-11 07:12 AM EDT (US)     7 / 12       
this is a really cool retainer and a lot of people use it....i hope i ll get it
Soulzityr
Ashigaru
posted 04-05-11 09:55 AM EDT (US)     8 / 12       
I think this is a great retainer for me. My army is mostly archer based. I use my infantry to protect my great number of upgraded archers and calvary to confine their lines; in other words, to keep them enclosed and not too spread out. This -2 melee would let me use more infantry to protect against calvary attacks, which right now are a huge weakness to my army.
Liam_the_Spartan
Banned
posted 04-05-11 01:36 PM EDT (US)     9 / 12       
Welcome, SoulZityr!

I have got this retainer now. It is very good.
Gnarlyhotep
Ashigaru
posted 04-05-11 02:40 PM EDT (US)     10 / 12       
I'm going to make a push to grab it, I think it's the best option to fill out my 4th retainer slot when I hit rank 7.

I've noticed it played in at least 80% of matches lately.
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 04-06-11 03:48 PM EDT (US)     11 / 12       
If memory serves me right I can now attack the province that gets you the retinue so that's what I'm gonna do tonight or tomorrow. Definitely a good one to use.

Hussarknight
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 04-06-11 05:33 PM EDT (US)     12 / 12       
So I was fighting the battle that could win me the Fugu Cook. Got the opponent down to just his general, with a good amount of naginata remaining. Rather than surrender my opponent chose to run around the battlefield with his general, and just as I was hunting him down, bam! CTD. Kinda annoyed at the amount of crashes I've been getting, somehow there's more than there was in Napoleon .

Hussarknight
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven | HeavenGames