IE6 is not supported at this time. Please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 9, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Multiplayer
Moderated by Scipii

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.6 replies
Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven » Forums » Multiplayer » Control Points
Bottom
Topic Subject:Control Points
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 03-29-11 10:21 AM EDT (US)         
Do you go out of your way to capture them? Do they even make that big of a difference?

Their purpose was to prevent opponents from sitting put, but it doesn't seem to have had much effect.

As a rule of thumb I will try to get the central Control Point - regardless of it's bonus - as I march to meet my opponent. This usually forces them to choose which point they take, or risk splitting their forces. If they try to take both I will move on the smaller force, which will be isolated from the rest of their army.

Next, if possible, I'll leave light cavalry or something behind to capture that second Control point and begin to attack my enemy, bonuses in hand.

IMO the most valuable will be the Morale boost, but on a couple of occasions an Armour boost has saved me a lot of lives when facing a superior ranged force.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
AuthorReplies:
Tom_Bear
Ashigaru
posted 03-29-11 10:55 AM EDT (US)     1 / 6       
I think It's a really interesting addition. I find it has the most effect on maps with a high ground - say Alpine pass - where the low ground holds all the bonuses. Or maps like Caldera, where you need to severely split your army if you want the bonuses.

When I play, high ground trumps capture points. If I think its worth it, I'll also hide a loan sword or light cav in woods and then seize a CP once the enemy commits.

I have a replay that'll be great to post on this topic.
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 03-29-11 02:58 PM EDT (US)     2 / 6       
I definably won one battle due to capturing a shrine, with +1 moral. I had a unit that fought to the end of the battle while completely outclassed. It had five men by the time its enemy ran.

Damn, that was a close multiplayer battle

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
Army Ranger
Ashigaru
posted 03-29-11 03:09 PM EDT (US)     3 / 6       
The Shrine (Morale) and the bow dojo are definitely the best two. The Bow dojo will reload ranged so it works really well if you have a lot of archers.

Today i am going to try reloading siege weapons and matchlocks with one!

Often they will send all their cavalry to a point and dismount, providing an excellent opportunity to get them.
Liam_the_Spartan
Banned
posted 03-29-11 03:19 PM EDT (US)     4 / 6       
It depends. As Tom_Bear said, sometimes it's in low ground and whichever unit you send dies.

I like to send my upgraded light cavalry to take one. They might send something to stp it then get surprised when it cleans the floor with other units.

If I try to capture them, I die. If I let the enemy capture them, I die.
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 03-30-11 03:19 PM EDT (US)     5 / 6       
They aren't the be-all or end-all of the battles though. In previous games I've held all three and still lost. In the end it is still all about tactics.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
Gnarlyhotep
Ashigaru
posted 03-31-11 10:57 AM EDT (US)     6 / 6       
They're definitely not the be all-end all of battles, but in a close contest they can have a significant impact.

I find the archery one underwhelming, since moving forward to try to take it puts me in contact with the enemy before it's finished capping anyway. I do prioritize the morale one if I see it, that one is a rather significant advantage.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven | HeavenGames