IE6 is not supported at this time. Please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 9, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.14 replies
Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » Rise of an Empire: a Great Britain AAR
Bottom
Topic Subject:Rise of an Empire: a Great Britain AAR
Gaius_Carolus
Ashigaru
posted 01-22-13 04:12 AM EDT (US)         
Hello there! I very much doubt anyone will remember me (I started a Saxon AAR from RTW: Barbarian Invasion a while ago, but work got on top of me and I had to abandon it), but I'm back. I have a lot more free time now, and I very much enjoyed my last AAR experience, so I thought I'd give another one a go.

I got Empire: Total War fairly recently, and while I've played it a lot, I still feel like I haven't cracked all the secrets of the game. So, with this AAR, maybe I'll be able to.

I'll be playing as Great Britain, in a long campaign, with both difficulty sliders set to normal.

I'll play through the first few turns now, and then update this original post. Enjoy!
AuthorReplies:
Punic Hebil
Centurion
(id: Punic Hoplite)
posted 01-22-13 08:16 AM EDT (US)     1 / 14       
Good luck! I haven't seen an Empire AAR in a while, so this'll be a treat

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 01-22-13 10:15 AM EDT (US)     2 / 14       
Looking forward to it, hopefully it sticks around!

How often will we see updates?

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
Gaius_Carolus
Ashigaru
posted 01-22-13 12:59 PM EDT (US)     3 / 14       
I'll do my best to update at least once a week, more likely twice or three times. I've played the first 4 turns, just waiting for a little time to write it up, will be done tomorrow hopefully!
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
(id: awesomated88)
posted 01-23-13 05:30 AM EDT (US)     4 / 14       
Can't wait to read this. Good luck!
Be careful you don't focus on one theatre of war too heavily, unless you plan to..

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
theresa mays toe
Ashigaru
(id: GREEK SCAVENGER)
posted 01-23-13 12:03 PM EDT (US)     5 / 14       
Britain isn't hard to do to be honest.

Capture Quebec, Georgia and Cherokee Territory you've practically won the game. Doable within 25 turns.

The great part is that Scab is apparently among such people. Yes. Greek Scab. My minion. -Stormraider

"Please don't grind on my wench and herr" - Bleedteals sister, asking me and herr not to grind her but mispelling

If he's not trolling I'll strip myself naked, paint myself green, and cheer for Ireland. -Coldviper. I'm still waiting for the proof....
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 01-23-13 02:42 PM EDT (US)     6 / 14       
Dont forget that in the British long campaign he will need to go to India as well, that might take more than 25 turns due to the amount of money needed to raise another army, but i see your point. But Britain would be my second favorite faction to play so in ETW so i look forward to this.

History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough

[This message has been edited by Awesome Eagle (edited 01-23-2013 @ 02:42 PM).]

theresa mays toe
Ashigaru
(id: GREEK SCAVENGER)
posted 01-23-13 02:45 PM EDT (US)     7 / 14       
Dont forget that in the British long campaign he will need to go to India as well, that might take more than 25 turns due to the amount of money needed to raise another army. but i see your point, but Britain would be my second favorite faction to play so in ETW so i look forward to this.
Spambuild soldiers from the Hudson province. Ignore the home isles as nobody attacks there anyway. Declare war on france, capture Quebec. Pay them 2000 for a peace treaty.

Move armies down south by the ships whilst have already been given to you. Invade Cherokee and Georgia. This can be done in 10 turns if done right.

Now everytime you press end turn you get nigh on 20,000 money. Raise three full stacks line infantry from the American provinces. Should take another 10 turns. Add 2-3 cannons to each army and recruit a general. Build about 3-4 fastest ships you can.

By turn 25 invade Martha confederacy. By turn 40 you should win the game.

The great part is that Scab is apparently among such people. Yes. Greek Scab. My minion. -Stormraider

"Please don't grind on my wench and herr" - Bleedteals sister, asking me and herr not to grind her but mispelling

If he's not trolling I'll strip myself naked, paint myself green, and cheer for Ireland. -Coldviper. I'm still waiting for the proof....
Gaius_Carolus
Ashigaru
posted 01-23-13 03:28 PM EDT (US)     8 / 14       
Here it is, the first installment!

A forewarning - I'm not an overly aggressive player. Probably because I suck at battles, but I'd rather not declare war until I'm sure I can win it.

As such, for the early parts of this campaign at least, I'll be focusing on setting up trade links, infrastructure, etc. I know it won't make for the most exciting reading, but it's the way I enjoy playing!

Britain has always been a fortress in the Total War games, and Empire is no exception. I'm not expecting an attack on my homelands, certainly not early in the game. My first move is to send my gentleman to the school at Cambridge, and start researching common land enclosures. Growth will be very important, I need to develop more towns to generate income, not to mention schools.

I recruit a few units in London - two line infantry, and a regiment of 33rd foot. Basically line infantry, but with a unique name, so why not?

I take the fleet north of Wales around into the channel, and merge it with the fleet already in the channel. My first targets will be in the Americas - this fleet will shortly be taking the newly recruited units and a few others over there.

In the Americas, I recruit a couple of line infantry in Jamaica. These units will bolster the forces from the UK before they head to my first targets - the pirate islands in the Caribbean.

Getting rid of the pirate islands will keep my trade routes open and prevent a lot of raids. The islands themselves aren't all that valuable - I might give one of them to my allies, the United Provinces. I don't really need them, and the Provinces are valuable allies and trade partners. I take the fleet east of America and merge it with the Caribbean fleet, and leave it east of the Bahamas to ward off pirate attacks.

Across my empire, the building focus is on farms. As I already said, I'm looking at growth as the priority here. I knock up a sugar plantation in the Bahamas too, a little extra income never hurts. Diplomacy-wise, I secure trade agreements with the Maratha Confederacy, the Ottoman Empire, and Prussia.

At the start of my next turn, the mission to gain the Colonies is issued. I don't want to go to war with the French, not yet - the Colonies will have to survive on their own, for now at least.

I move the army in London onto the fleet, and we set sail for the Americas - a general, cavalry unit, infantry and, most importantly, a cannon unit.

I improve the infrastructure throughout the Caribbean, and start small projects back in the UK. I begin upgrading the craft towns in the UK, the extra income is vital at this point. I also start recruiting a trade fleet in the Caribbean, made up on Indiamen. Once the pirates are cleared, I'll send a few down to the coast of Brazil.

At the start of my next turn, the common land enclosure research is done. I start researching some military technology, and improve all the farms I can.

Next turn, my fleet arrives in the Americas. Not long now until I begin my assault on the pirate islands!
Alex_the_Bold
Ashigaru
posted 01-23-13 04:28 PM EDT (US)     9 / 14       
It's interesting to see an ETW AAR. Keep up the good work, Gaius Carolus...

Invincibility lies in defence, while the possibility of victory in the attack -Sun Tzu
Akouson me, pataxon de (hit me, but first listen to me)-Themistocles to Euribiadis prior to the battle of Salamis.
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 01-23-13 10:00 PM EDT (US)     10 / 14       
Ah, nice to see your play style is similar to mine, consolidation and infrastructure over too rapid advancement. I always target the pirate islands in any campaign I do as it removes a massive headache for me..
With your technology, it is important that you research the 3 starting enlightenment technologies as soon as possible, to help you research other technologies twice or three times as fast.

Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 01-24-13 06:30 AM EDT (US)     11 / 14       
Good start. Only thing I do differently is get an agreement with the Mughals, rather than the Marathas - for the reason that I always want to invade India, and the Marathas are usually very strong when I do. Whereas if I support the Mughals, I don't lose a trade partner when I do invade.

Can be difficult holding on to the North American colonies as the tribes (Huron if my memory serves) rain down on your poorly trained militia.

Good idea to stay out of a war with France for now, although it's inevitable. Tangling with them and their Spanish allies can be a nightmare.

Keep it up Gaius.

A f t y

A A R S

Punic Hebil
Centurion
(id: Punic Hoplite)
posted 01-24-13 10:29 AM EDT (US)     12 / 14       
I've never been fond of the British campaign. I'm not a colony type player when it comes to forging empires. I prefer to get a solid continental holding, and then branch out, taking other colonies by force.

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
Gaius_Carolus
Ashigaru
posted 02-03-13 03:22 PM EDT (US)     13 / 14       
Sorry about the slow update - had a busy week with uni then had some personal stuff take up my attention all weekend, so haven't had time to update! But here it is - not a lot, but it's what I managed to play. Will have a little more free time for a month or so now though!

I start building a new fleet in the Channel, starting with a 5th Rate Admiral's Flagship. I'll recruit another ship-of-the-line in Portsmouth and use the smaller ports to recruit brigs to improve the numbers.

A town in Fort Rupert grows! I spend a little while thinking about what to do here. The region is already 100% Protestant, so a church is pointless. A coaching inn is equally pointless, I don't have any enemies in this region to spy on. The region is generating plenty of money through fur traders, so I go for a school. It'll be the most use.

My fleets converge of the first of the pirate islands.

Next turn, plug bayonets finish researching. At the suggestion of people in this topic, I set the next project to be Empiricism, to improve my research rate.

Both armies land on the Leeward isles. I blockade the port and merge the armies together to lay siege to the town. The only defense is a small army of citizenry, but even that weak force refuses my surrender! I continue the siege - I'd rather they attacked me first, I'm better fighting defensively.

All through these turns I've been building happiness/income/growth buildings, and added to the fleet in the Channel. Here's the fleet as it stands - still nothing special, but I'm not in need of anything too big just yet.

The school in Fort Rupert is completed, and I set it to researching animal husbandry. I like to RP a little in these games, and it makes a lot of sense to me that in a place like Fort Rupert they'd need to make agricultural advances to sustain themselves. So Fort Rupert will become something of an agricultural research center, for now at least.

When I hit end turn, the pirate force comes out to try and break my siege. I should have no problems winning this battle.

But it'll have to wait til next time. Sorry, I know there hasn't been much action, but A) I'm more of a building and developer than warmonger, and B) like I said at the top - I've been a little busy. More action next time!
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 02-04-13 05:27 AM EDT (US)     14 / 14       
I'm more interested in seeing it continue than having a quick succession of updates.

Developing nicely, those pirates aren't necessarily a pushover however!

Speaking from experience - back up your saves after you've done every update. Nothing more crushing than having an AAR end unfinished because of a corrupted save or computer problem!

A f t y

A A R S

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven | HeavenGames