IE6 is not supported at this time. Please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 9, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.7 replies
Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » The Wall
Bottom
Topic Subject:The Wall
Earl Scruffles
Ashigaru
(id: generalscruff)
posted 01-15-13 03:59 PM EDT (US)         
Just a little something I'm doing while I work on my epic pulitzer prize winning novel...

Northern England, 1878

Corporal Williams was cold. Up on this godforsaken wall at the edge of the civilised world, watching out for a threat that hadn’t been seen in any real strength for half-score years. He could have gone to India, or the new colonies in Southern Africa, where war with the Zulu Empire was looming, but no! The Army, in its infinite wisdom, had doomed Corporal Williams to freeze on this bloody wall.

Some days, he regretted taking the shilling. He never did out of choice. He could take the shilling and live with some pride, or be doomed to the shame and indignity of the workhouse. He was once a modest shepherd in the West Country, not ostentatious, but he led a comfortable life on the cusp of becoming something of a country gentleman. After a brawl with his employer, a certain gentleman farmer called Master Bernard over owed wages, Williams had been cast out onto the road to work as an itinerant labourer. But, news and rumours travelled fast in rural Dorsetshire, in the hills just above Dorchester, and no landowner was willing to employ a man who was apparently a violent drunkard. It was while he was walking the streets of Casterbridge, a small market town near the border with Somerset, desperately hungry and looking for any work that he saw the scarlet coats and heard the martial rhythms of the drum. A man in scarlet with three chevrons on his arm, carrying a sword in a scabbard loosely hanging from his belt, as a poacher might, approached him. He spun him tales of adventures in far-off lands, with friendship for all, before proffering him a shilling. Glad for the offer of a steady wage and support, if nothing else, he took the shilling and drank to the health of Her Majesty, Queen Victoria.

That was in 1873. And yet, it felt like centuries ago. Williams listed a private in 2nd Battalion, Royal Dorset Fusiliers. The 1st Battalion was in India, by the Bay of Bengal, enforcing the peace made after the Anglo-Burmese Wars. The 2nd Battalion was, like most 2nd Battalions in the county regiments, a reserve unit of sorts, based in Britain and used for training and garrisoning. As men were sent out to India to replace retiring soldiers and casualties in the senior battalion, Williams found himself advancing up the food chain fairly rapidly. His superiors rather liked the solid and understated country man, and he found himself a full Corporal within five years.

The Wall, built on the foundations of the ancient Roman wall, was a necessity. After the Jacobite Rebellion of 1745, when the Highland clans defeated the Lowland clans and the Hanoverians at Culloden and installed Bonnie Prince Charlie as King of Scotland, there was a desperation to contain the Scots, and what better way than a wall? Especially now, as the Kingdom of Scotland was a figment of its former glory, with many of the Highland clans acting independently, out of government control and any law and order beyond the laws of the wilderness and several regions seceding all together. The politics between these minor states, such as the Kingdom of the Shetlands and the Republic of Lewis, was complex and they were best left alone. King James IX may rule from Edinburgh, but it’s the clan chiefs that hold the power.

“Corporal Williams, come inside! Your watch is over”

Duly, Williams headed towards the hearth and the door, wishing luck to the unfortunate soul that was to take his place....

But I won't go to England due to the prescence of scruffy in shottingham. - Scenter102
This is Scruff we are talking about. I can't think of anything I don't see Scruff doing just for the hell of it. - Agrippa 271
The cake was made by Scruffy and it was... a rude shape. - Liam
monkey in a suit on a cycle - Scenter102 describing Scruffy

[This message has been edited by Kapitein Scruff (edited 01-15-2013 @ 04:20 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 01-16-13 04:45 AM EDT (US)     1 / 7       
Bit short but it was good, please continue. Lots of new tales in the Circle at the moment. Don't let it fizzle out as so many do.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 01-16-13 06:51 AM EDT (US)     2 / 7       
A very nice introduction.

Well written, and covers the background well. Looking forward to where this is going.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
Alex_the_Bold
Ashigaru
posted 01-16-13 03:57 PM EDT (US)     3 / 7       
It looks very interesting, albeit a little too short. I'm loking forward to the next update...

Invincibility lies in defence, while the possibility of victory in the attack -Sun Tzu
Akouson me, pataxon de (hit me, but first listen to me)-Themistocles to Euribiadis prior to the battle of Salamis.
Warlod Redvig
Ashigaru
posted 01-17-13 02:00 AM EDT (US)     4 / 7       
Inspired by Game of Thrones by any chance, if so, congrats and giving the Wall a modern context. Looking forward to more

It is pleasant, when the sea is high and the winds are dashing the waves about, to watch from the shores the struggles of another - Lucretius
Earl Scruffles
Ashigaru
(id: generalscruff)
posted 01-17-13 10:50 AM EDT (US)     5 / 7       
Actually not. It's an alternate history where the Jacobite Rebellions succeed, Scotland goes independent and Hadrian's Wall is rebuilt and remanned.

But I won't go to England due to the prescence of scruffy in shottingham. - Scenter102
This is Scruff we are talking about. I can't think of anything I don't see Scruff doing just for the hell of it. - Agrippa 271
The cake was made by Scruffy and it was... a rude shape. - Liam
monkey in a suit on a cycle - Scenter102 describing Scruffy
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 01-18-13 04:08 AM EDT (US)     6 / 7       
I like the premise, when can we expect updates Scruffsta?

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
Legion Of Hell
Centurion
posted 01-18-13 09:07 AM EDT (US)     7 / 7       
Every soldier soon regrets taking the shilling, Scruff!

Short yet sweet and look forward to more!

General Rawlinson- This is most unsatisfactory. Where are the Sherwood Foresters? Where are the East Lancashires on the right?

Brigadier-General Oxley- They are lying out in No Man's Land, sir. And most of them will never stand again.

Two high ranking British generals discussing the fortunes of two regiments after the disastrous attack at Aubers Ridge on the 9th May 1915.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War: Shogun 2 Heaven | HeavenGames